Windows 10: No Audio Output Device is installed

Discus and support No Audio Output Device is installed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. Long time ago, I play with upgrading HDD to SSD, GRUB and some other stuff and I failed and messed my computer up. Now my desktop is still using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Anonymous123, Mar 26, 2016.

1. No Audio Output Device is installed

Hi.
    Long time ago, I play with upgrading HDD to SSD, GRUB and some other stuff and I failed and messed my computer up. Now my desktop is still using HDD and does not produce any sound. I tried to fix this problem by Googling "No Audio output device is installed" but I couldn't get it to work. It's been a long time for my desktop to have no sound and now I have decided to come to this forum and seek help to solve this problem.

Please help me fix this issue.
    If there are any information that I should provide, please inform me.
    Thanks in advanced.

As a note, I don't really care about upgrading to SSD anymore, but I want my computer to have sound.

:)

Anonymous123, Mar 26, 2016
  2. Jason7G Win User

No audio, 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed', have already updated BIOS and chipset and drivers, Windows 10

I am having this VERY same issue and have exhausted the VERY same measures as you did. I would love to hear a resolution but I don't guess there will be one given.

Jason7G, Mar 26, 2016
  3. geoff_903 Win User
    No audio, 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed', have already updated BIOS and chipset and drivers, Windows 10

Please, any more suggestions? I'm thinking that there is a way to fix this.

And when I updated the driver for 'High Definition Audio Codecs', Device Manager switched it to 'Realtek High Definition Audio', even though that was already listed under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' (so now 'Realtek High Definition Audio' is listed
    twice under r 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers'.

Device Manager also allowed me to install 'Intel WiDi Audio Device', but it still makes no sound at all.

And under 'System Devices', my computer tells me that the driver for 'High Definition Audio Controller' is up to date, but it still has a yellow bang mark next to it (nothing I do seems to ever change that - any suggestsions?)

geoff_903, Mar 26, 2016
  4. tacoban Win User

No Audio Output Device is installed

Upgrading HDD to SSD, this means you changed the harddrive ? In this case you should do a clean install to the new Harddriver(SSD).
    If you did put your HDD back, everything should do as before ?
    GRUB sounds more Linux specific, did you try to install Linux ?
    Maybe I read it all wrong I don't know but try to check on DEVICE MANAGER if you have installed the driver for your Sound device first.

tacoban, Mar 26, 2016
  5. I don't really remember what I did before.
    The result is that everything is still the same but the sound just doesn't work anymore.
    I tried to dual boot with linux mint before but I stopped using linux mint. I just want my Windows 10 to work now, as I can get access to linux in oracle virtual machine inside Windows.

How do I know what sound device I am using and how do I know if it have correct driver installed?
    I can see that I have 2 high definition audio controller that show "!" sign. But I can't see any audio driver showing up here.
    Does it means I need to install the driver myself? If this is the case, how do I install the correct driver?

(Below is a picture of my device manager)

No Audio Output Device is installed [​IMG]

Thanks.

6. bobkn Win User
    bobkn, Mar 26, 2016
  7. I clicked the link you gave me. HP told me to download "HPSupportSolutionsFramework-12.3.11.29" to check drivers that can be installed. After I download and install this solution framework from HP, the webpage proceed to next step and tell me that Windows update may have driver for me. It tells me to go to windows update and search for driver.

I did what it told me to do. But the windows update don't have anything for me to update or install.

For this case HP suggest me to open device manager to install the missing driver. (I'm referring to section "Update other specific components" under the "Installing updates in Windows 10" title in the webpage HP Products - Where Do I Find Windows 10 Drivers and Software for My Model? | HP® Customer Support)

HP suggest me to right click on the driver that I want to update to update. But as shown on the image I provided in my previous post, I cannot see any "audio inputs and outputs" tab or audio driver. I only see audio controller in the "System device" tab. (and these controller have the "!" sign on them for some reason)

Am I meant to do something to the audio controller?
    Or should I install a new audio driver? (if so, how do I install one?)

8. derekimo Win User

Try this driver, it's for W8, the one bobkn suggested.

You didn't have to do all that other stuff, just change the OS to W8 and it was right there.

This is going to start downloading as soon as you click on it, it's from HP but there is no easier way to point you directly at it,

REMOVED

I'll remove it after you download it.

derekimo, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Thank you very much! But it says the detected hardware does not support the IDT software, and hence it will stop the installation of the audio driver. Is there another driver that I could try?

10. derekimo Win User
    You're welcome.

Not from there, can you post the hardware ID's like this,

I just want to make sure before pointing you towards a driver.

derekimo, Mar 26, 2016
  11. No worries! The screen shot for the first controller is here:

And the second one is here:

I'm not sure why I have two audio controllers. A reason for this may be because I have one earphone jack at the front and one at the back of my desktop.

12. tacoban Win User
    tacoban, Mar 26, 2016
  13. TV2
    TV2 Win User

The fact that you have no category for "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" in your device manager seems to be the main problem here.

I believe the items you are looking at under "System Devices" are actually Windows components, related to, but not the same as the actual sound device hardware.

So the question becomes: why doesn't your system detect any sound devices?

The first place to check is in your BIOS/UEFI settings. See if the sound device is disabled there.

Also it would be good to know if your system has HDMI video capability, as HDMI has it's own sound device that (should) show up separately.

Also, go to Control Panel > Sound and tell us what you find there.

But in any case you will not be able to install any sound driver until the system recognizes a sound device.

14. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Mar 27, 2016
  15. The AMD website offers me a AMD graphics driver to download and they didn't give me an audio driver, so I didn't install anything.
    I tried to install HP support assistant and use it to search for drivers that I can update, but the assistant reports that there are not driver that needs to be updated.

Q1: Is my sound device disabled in the BIOS/UEFI setting?
    First I figure out how to get to the BIOS/UEFI setting page.
    I followed this video on YouTube: Windows 10 - Accessing the UEFI (BIOS) Setup - YouTube
    Although I follow the exact same step in the video, I get something different from the video.
    At 0:33 of the video, the YouTube get this:

But when I reach the same stage, I get this screen instead of the above screen:

I'm not sure why I didn't get the same thing as the YouTube. Maybe it's because HP did it differently (It looks like the YouTube video is made from Acer perspective)

However, since windows leads me to this "startup menu" screen (above) when I ask for BIOS/UEFI, I think I should be able to find some UEFI related stuff here. I took a few picture of the exploration I had. Please see below:

I selected System Information within the startup menu and I get this:

I selected the computer setup within the startup menu and I get this:

I notice that this above screen looks similar to the YouTube one at 0:33. But they are still different.
    I explored it (they call this page/screen Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility) and took more pictures:

The result is that I didn't see any sound relate stuff here. Maybe it's because I don't know how to get to the sound part or maybe it's because I'm not actually in the UEFI/BIOS setting.
    Please tell me how to find the sound section.

Q2: Does my system have HDMI video capability?
    Below is an image of my desktop HDMI port, so I think it has HDMI video capability.

(Please tell me if I misunderstand the question.)

Q3: Explain what I find in "Control Panel/Sound".
    I went to "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound" and click the "Sound" section. A pop up window shows up immediately.
    Then I took 4 pictures of it. Each picture correspond to a different tab within the Sound pop up window. They are listed below:

As far as I can see, my desktop does not detect any audio device. But they should have detect it.

I chose Option 1 in the tutorial to create the file.
    .zip

Anonymous123, Mar 27, 2016
Thema:

1. No Audio Output Device is installed - Similar Threads - Audio Output Device

2. No audio output device is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio output device is installed: Hi,Laptop: Medion P6645 / Windows 10I turned my laptop on this morning and there is a red cross next to my speaker icon.It says speaker setup unknown and in output and input devices there are no options to select.In device manager sound is hidden, unhiding it I then...
  3. No Audio Output Devices in installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Audio Output Devices in installed: I know this has been widely discussed and Carlo TJ Independent Advisor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/29478bd8-e990-4de7-b01b-862427c4f74b , Replied on July 1, 2021 on No Audio Output device is installed - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The problem is the...
  4. No Audio Output Device Installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Audio Output Device Installed: Hello! I installed realtek as no audio output device installed. Now it has a yellow triangle. Realtek High Definition Audio" Any help? This device cannot start. Code 10 --> This is error reported in the Device manager...
  5. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: Been having this problem for about a week now, Have tried pretty much everything from doing stuff in device manager to system recovery. Nothing works and I can't do a windows reset cause others use the computer, Windows 10 version 2004...
  6. No Audio Output Device is Installed

No Audio Output Device is Installed: So, I know that this is really late, but didn't install the latest update until yesterday just because I was too lazy to deal with it. My problem is pretty much the same as everyone else; my audio just doesn't work and when I hover my cursor over the speaker icon in the...
  7. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: I plugged a HDMI cord into my computer as I have since I purchased it 1 year ago today I unplugged the HDMI cord and now I have no sound on my lap top it shows an exclamation point in the device manager but when I update the driver it says I am current. The speaker at the...
  8. No audio Output device is installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    No audio Output device is installed: One day i logged on to my pc and i realize that my audio wasn't working. Every time i clicked on it will always pop up to trouble shoot it. It wont allow to adjust the sound so i cant hear anything out of my headset. Can someone please help...
  9. No audio output device is installed

No audio output device is installed: I bought a new headset, plugged it in, sound works great. Of course, when ever i'm using a computer something has to fail. And this something was the microphone. Microphone works fine on other devices. It appeared that the mic was not plugged in(yes, I did plug it in). After...
  10. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: Hi, Yesterday my sound was working fine, I walked away from my notebook for 15 minutes and came back and the sound icon had a red X against it. The error message when I hover over it is 'No Audio Output Device is installed'. In Device Manager the error message for...