Windows 10: no auto logon or sleep setting.

Discus and support no auto logon or sleep setting. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; running new HP 23 all-in-one win 8.1. took 6 tries to upgrade to win 10. always locked up on preparing for installation. after running w10 I set to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lobobs, Sep 8, 2015.

1. lobobs Win User

no auto logon or sleep setting.

running new HP 23 all-in-one win 8.1. took 6 tries to upgrade to win 10. always locked up on preparing for installation. after running w10 I set to logon auto without password and set sleep to 20 min. then restarted, it asked for password and it was incorrect. hit ok and two logon images appeared lower left of screen. got one to work so somewhere during setup I have two passwords. then it went to sleep after 1min, then it wanted password to wake up. so much worse than it was and I can't change back or to anything else . have spent many hours searching. no help.

:)

lobobs, Sep 8, 2015
  2. idnaos Win User

Windows 10 sometimes does not ask for password on startup

If your computer asks for your password when resuming from sleep mode only and never does on reboot, then I think it's not a bug but a feature called "auto logon".

See here if you would like to have a password prompt on reboot, too (via "control userpasswords2"):

Set user for auto logon on windows via batch script

See here if you would like to configure password prompt behavior on resume from sleep:

Prevent Windows Asking for a Password on Wake Up from Sleep/Standby

idnaos, Sep 8, 2015
  3. How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10

That only complicates life for my non-computer savvy wife. Plus, it ignores the real problem - Microsoft should NEVER have done auto logon at all without giving the users a choice on whether to allow auto logon or to start with a list of users so they
    (not Microsoft) can choose who gets to logon. Auto logon is NOT a feature - it is a flaw, it's irritating, and should never have been implemented in the first place.

GoldenGuyCO, Sep 8, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 8, 2015
  5. lobobs Win User
    Yes I have tried this a few times .no help. it is off and ask for sign on p/w

lobobs, Sep 8, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you haven't already, be sure to start completely over in netplwiz to enter your password again. If It was entered incorrectly by mistake, it can cause what you are experiencing.

Brink, Sep 8, 2015
  7. lobobs Win User
    I just did two times. same o same o. I really don't want to refresh the computer again and wait for the w10 upgrade again. as I said new computer and I have not transferred from other machine yet. would like to get w10 working. w8.1 was not worth blowing up.

lobobs, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 8, 2015
  9. lobobs Win User
    ok I will research that and may try it. thanks Brink

lobobs, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. no auto logon or sleep setting. - Similar Threads - auto logon sleep

2. Auto display logon at boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto display logon at boot: I have a couple of computers. One has Windows 11 Pro and at boot up when the system is ready it automatically displays the login screen. You know it is all set to go. I also have Windows 11 Home and Windows 10. These systems do not automatically display the login. The screen...
  3. Auto display logon at boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto display logon at boot: I have a couple of computers. One has Windows 11 Pro and at boot up when the system is ready it automatically displays the login screen. You know it is all set to go. I also have Windows 11 Home and Windows 10. These systems do not automatically display the login. The screen...
  4. Windows 10 Auto Logon with Controluserpasswords2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Auto Logon with Controluserpasswords2: Does anyone know why the User Accounts window wouldn't have the check box that is supposed to appear above the "Users for this computer:" ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-auto-logon-with-controluserpasswords2/2e01c503-7ea6-4dfd-8024-01f968b83e8b
  5. Windows 10 Auto Logon with Controluserpasswords2

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Auto Logon with Controluserpasswords2: Does anyone know why the User Accounts window wouldn't have the check box that is supposed to appear above the "Users for this computer:" ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-auto-logon-with-controluserpasswords2/2e01c503-7ea6-4dfd-8024-01f968b83e8b
  6. Auto Logon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto Logon: I have been using Auto Logon on my home PC for years. In the past I used netplwiz to set it up. I recently reloaded my computer OS due to ongoing Blue Screen issues. I use Microsoft's create media tool to create a bootable thumb drive and installed from there. Went to...
  7. Trying to auto logon to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to auto logon to Windows 10: I have been able to do this successfully before. I am Trying to auto logon to Windows 10. Logon itself seems to work okay when I reboot. When it resumes from sleep, no go. I have tried everything that I know including screensaver power options , and first checking the...
  8. Avoiding Auto-logon at startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Avoiding Auto-logon at startup: I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on; but I want to remove this step. What happens at power up is that the laptop sits with a picture screen and says that the...
  9. Auto logon to virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Auto logon to virtual machine: I have three people using the same PC, each with their own logon. Two of those people are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and are likely to click on any link anywhere. They only use the PC for browsing and browser-based emails so don't need to keep anything between...
  10. sleep activates auto sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep activates auto sleep: After starting up no automatic sleep, display stays turned on (all power options NEVER, all BIOS options DISABLE) When turning computer to sleep manually (standby S3 available) it goes sleep and wakes up normally. AND then after two minutes goes to automatic sleep,...