Windows 10: No boot: Unaccessible boot device

Discus and support No boot: Unaccessible boot device in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP Notebook 2 years old, came with W-10 When booted, get a BSOD with "Unaccessible Boot Device".Able to enter the HP Diagnostics and the HDD tests OK.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfourkays, Jan 25, 2018.

1. cfourkays Win User

No boot: Unaccessible boot device

HP Notebook 2 years old, came with W-10
    When booted, get a BSOD with "Unaccessible Boot Device".Able to enter the HP Diagnostics and the HDD tests OK.
    I also booted from Linux Mint and was able to access the drive and copy all the data off to a USB drive.
    Had customers with Black screen boot after this llast update but this on is different.
    Any help?
    Pete

:)

cfourkays, Jan 25, 2018

2. KB4013429 update fails

Lucky for you, even a clean install won't work.

gives me a blue screen "unaccessible boot device"

installed first on SSD and second time on HDD

PatjePayer, Jan 25, 2018
  3. unaccessible boot device / windows insider build ran into a problem

Do you have a ASUS motherboard?

Andre Da Costa, Jan 25, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2018
  5. cfourkays Win User
    Hi Navy,
    I'll try that. I use Hiren's Boot: Hiren Discussion Platform which has almost the same setup but I'm going to try Kyhi's and see if its easier to use.
    Will get back.

cfourkays, Jan 25, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    After you return to windows please perform the following steps:
    1) run this log collector and post a zip into this thread
    2) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    chkdsk /x /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
    Type: y
    reboot
    This may take many hours so plan to run overnight

3) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report in te event viewer. Copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post a share link into the thread using one drive or drop box share link
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

4) Run HD Tune: HD Tune website
    Please run these 3 tests and post images of each into the thread using one drive or drop box share links:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  7. cfourkays Win User
    Kyhi's boot is the best I've seen.
    Macrium Reflect, boot repair, however did not fix.
    I'm running chkdsk although the HP System Hard Drive analysis found no problem.

cfourkays, Jan 25, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  9. You might have to do a system recovery.

Emulatordude, Jan 25, 2018
  10. cfourkays Win User
    Reset would be an option if all else fails.
    I've had a number of black screen boots recently that I've had to use factory settings. PC still doing chkdsk /f

cfourkays, Jan 25, 2018
  11. cfourkays Win User
    Had to do a factory reinstall, the "Reset" feature was unavailable.
    Don't know what happened but at least, it's running and updating.
    One positive out of this is finding out about Kyhi's bootable tool.
    Beats my Hiren's and Spotmau.
    Thanks to everyone for jumping in.
    Pete

cfourkays, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No boot: Unaccessible boot device - Similar Threads - boot Unaccessible boot

2. Default boot device missing or boot failed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default boot device missing or boot failed.: Hello, I bought a new ideapad gaming 3 laptop yesterday. I tried to turn it on, I got a default boot device missing or boot failed error. I clicked on OK, then I was given 1 hard drive option. I clicked on it, but nothing happens. How to solve it?...
  3. Default boot device missing or boot failed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Default boot device missing or boot failed.: Hello, I bought a new ideapad gaming 3 laptop yesterday. I tried to turn it on, I got a default boot device missing or boot failed error. I clicked on OK, then I was given 1 hard drive option. I clicked on it, but nothing happens. How to solve it?...
  4. Boot device failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot device failure: I have an HP Pavilion and every time I turn it on this comes up. What do I do to fix this? I need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-device-failure/75a4300d-57da-4c8d-b158-bf9acc90257f
  5. Unaccessible disks from boot menu and installation media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unaccessible disks from boot menu and installation media: Hello everyone, I got a new computer and with that I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now I encoutered some problems that probably are all connected. I am not sure if this is the best subforum but with my limited knowledge I guess it is driver related. The issues /...
  6. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

"Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...
  7. boot device

in Windows 10 Customization
    boot device: Hello. I am trying to start my computer, yet it keeps saying "Inaccessible Boot Device". I dont know what's causing this issue. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried many things I don't know what else to do Thanks...
  8. Boot device missing or Boot failed

Boot device missing or Boot failed: Hey, I just bought a new Lenovo laptop a few weeks ago and just recently it has been acting up. Sometimes it just crashes and give me the BSOD, then it says "Default Boot device missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key ..." It's quite annoying because I...
  9. No Boot Device Found

in Windows 10 Support
    No Boot Device Found: A month or so ago I started getting "No Boot Device Found, Press any Key to reboot machine". I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series laptop with 256G SSD. After the message appears, I press a key to reboot then start banging on F12 until I get to what looks like a bios setup...
  10. Changing boot device

Changing boot device: I recently bought a 256gb SSD to put in my laptop. My question is how do I transfer windows and all my files that I have on it to my SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/changing-boot-device/f9727588-9126-4a3e-a150-2386d4ccd9aa