Windows 10: No idea what I've done!

Discus and support No idea what I've done! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] Hi OK I am having File Explorer problems. Firstly under "This PC" I seem to have 2 Desktop folders (see pic) By default, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lijongtao, Oct 14, 2017.

1. lijongtao Win User

No idea what I've done!

No idea what I've done! [​IMG]
    Hi

OK I am having File Explorer problems.

Firstly under "This PC" I seem to have 2 Desktop folders (see pic)

By default, I have downloaded files (music, movies etc) going straight onto the desktop. Tonight, however, I couldn't find my recently downloaded files under This PC in either desktop folder, I had to go to C: USERNAME and find them under my username's desktop folder.

What have I done and how do I rectify this, please?
    ]
    THANKS A MILLION

Li

:)

lijongtao, Oct 14, 2017

2. No idea what this is

Try submit the same sample to Microsoft Malware Protection Center:

Submit a file for malware analysis - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Make sure explain about the issue and you may reference to this post and keep submission ID.

You shouldn't manually remove it.

Try update Windows and then boot into safemode and run a full system scan with Windows Defender.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 14, 2017
  3. No idea what this is

These files are suspicious, if possible zip the folder containing all files and then submit it to VirusTotal for analysis:

VirusTotal

And see whether it is being detected as malware?

Do you have any Anti-Virus software installed?

In start, search for Windows Defender and open it and see whether you are able to open it? if yes, update it and run a full system scan.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

No idea what I've done!

What pic....there is no pic.

Plankton, Oct 14, 2017
  5. lijongtao Win User
    Apologies Plankton, brain like a sieve.

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    What it looks like to me is that your pictures folder had be renamed to desktop. The first desktop icon is the correct one. The 2nd icon, you clearly see the the picture in the icon is of a picture. You may be able to rename it and if that fails reset file explore folder views.

• With File Explorer open, tap or click the File option at the top of the window and choose Change folder and search options.
    • Once the Folder Options window opens, tap or click the dropdown box for Open File Explorer to and make your choice.
    • Hit OK to save it.

Plankton, Oct 15, 2017
  7. lijongtao Win User
    Hi Plankton

Doesn't give me much choice, it is either This PC or Quick Access

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  8. lijongtao Win User

No idea what I've done!

PS Both of the folders named Desktop under MY PC have my desktop items on them, but neither have my recently downloaded films, I need to go to C My username Desktop to see them.

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    Try this tutorial to reset the default location of the Pictures folder -
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

This is the perfect example as to why you should never download files directly to Desktop since you will lose them if the User profile is corrupted. You should only place shortcuts to the folders on the Desktop so the content is in a folder that you can find under User name. *Sad

mrgeek, Oct 15, 2017
  10. lijongtao Win User
    Tried that and nothing has changed. Sorry to be a PITA

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  11. lijongtao Win User
    So I've just been into C:/USERS/MYUSERNAME and tried to make a folder called Pictures, it came up with a box saying you already have a folder called DESKTOP
    I didn't try to make a folder called Desktop, I tried to make a folder called Pictures. I've tried the above link, inc the BAT file method and still it remains. Sorry guys

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  12. lijongtao Win User
    So basically I have found it isn't allowing me to make a Pictures folder either

lijongtao, Oct 15, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

No idea what I've done!

Rename the duplicate folder back to Pictures.

Edwin, Oct 15, 2017
  14. davidhk Win User
    Suggestion :
    I am suspecting that your user account is corrupted.
    Create a new user account with exactly the same privileges > logon to it > use it and see if you have the same problem.

davidhk, Oct 15, 2017
  15. mrgeek Win User
    As 'Edwin' suggested, you can't just rename the duplicate Desktop folder with the Pictures icon ? Then verify that the path is to C;/UserName/Pictures by r-click properties/Location tab.

mrgeek, Oct 15, 2017
Thema:

No idea what I've done!

1. No idea what I've done! - Similar Threads - idea I've done

2. have no idea what ive done

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have no idea what ive done: But cant run any troubleshooting stuff, click in files in windows file explorer and all of them show "windows cant find - make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. also have windows updates that fail. my pc is a dumpster fire right now....
  3. have no idea what ive done

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    have no idea what ive done: But cant run any troubleshooting stuff, click in files in windows file explorer and all of them show "windows cant find - make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. also have windows updates that fail. my pc is a dumpster fire right now....
  4. Pc is crashing, I've done everything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc is crashing, I've done everything: It's every day that it happens. It's the problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I'm so done with this. Every day when I'm playing games or doing work I always have the thought in my head that my PC's going to crash and I'm going to lose progress on the game or on the work that...
  5. Pc is crashing, I've done everything

Pc is crashing, I've done everything: It's every day that it happens. It's the problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I'm so done with this. Every day when I'm playing games or doing work I always have the thought in my head that my PC's going to crash and I'm going to lose progress on the game or on the work that...
  6. Pc is crashing, I've done everything

7. Pc is crashing, I've done everything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How to see what I've done in a application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to see what I've done in a application: Hi, I want to know if there is a way to see what I've done in a application by my Microsoft account or Windows. For example, I am using the Google Chrome, how to see what I've done in Google Chrome, if I delete the historic? Is there a way to see by something in Windows or...
  9. No idea what this is.

No idea what this is.: In Settings, "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" there is something called PCFDOC8.exe Under it, it says "install progress 100%. The bar is switched off, but even on it does nothing. Any idea what this is, and how to remove it? 47833
  10. No idea what I'very done!

in Windows 10 Support
    No idea what I'very done!: I was playing Portal 2 through Steam when it glitched, the colours went weird and it froze. Restarted and it was fine for about ten minutes and it did it again. The third time it reacted to a YouTube video, so it can't have been Steam. Now when it starts up there are green...