Windows 10: No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????

Discus and support No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups????? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Got used to the "automatic" back up of favorites and quit paying attention to them. Just discovered mine hasn't made a backup since 09/11/2018, 11 days... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Wiley Coyote, Sep 16, 2018.

1. No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????

Got used to the "automatic" back up of favorites and quit paying attention to them. Just discovered mine hasn't made a backup since 09/11/2018, 11 days ago. That date was about the time I was uninstalling Candy Crush Soda and some other bloatware, either just before or right after.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd kind of like to have this feature back.

:)

Wiley Coyote, Sep 16, 2018
  2. Tony K Win User

Redoing my system

This is a thread for me to communicate with Kari and other members as I redo my system so as not to disrupt the tutorials. I find this more convenient and more open than PMs also. Any help or suggestions in performing my redo will be welcome. If any questions, please ask.

I have been and will be using some of Kari's and others' tutorials as listed below. I have my Acer system and/or laptop here for communications, USBs made, and my procedure list in front of me. This is on my dual-boot Asus tower as listed in my specs. Somewhat tricky on a 120GB SSD along with a 2TB internal secondary spinner for personal files and backups.

While planning, I read some basics in scripting by Kari.

PowerShell Scripting - The Basics General Tips Tutorials

System Setup Procedure

Make backup image

Create System Image in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup everything individually:
    Documents
    Pictures
    Videos
    Edge Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\backups\MicrosoftEdgeBackup > .html file
    IE Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\Favorites
    Passwords
    Email addresses
    Have ability to have access to paid programs and/or games to reinstall
    Any software keys

Set UEFI to default

Make ISO(s):
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 1 > Preparations - Create USB install media
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Prepare drive:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 2 > Preparations - Create DISKPART Script > Use Script One

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 3: Boot from USB

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 4: Run DISKPART script

Turn on printer and insert backup thumb drive.

Install on primary partition:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 5: Install Primary OS

Perform steps below.

Install on secondary partition:

Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build
    Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Or

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 6: Install Secondary OS

After install of each partition system:

A) Install any peripheral drivers and monitoring software of collection in D:/Asus Setup folder.
    B) Change saving files to secondary D: drive in Settings app > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved.
    C) Set up OneDrive in its settings. Make sure to have latest version.
    D) Install UWP apps (from Store library), Office 365, and other software.
    E) Perform Disk Cleanup.
    F) Turn BitLocker on.
    G) Optimize D: drive
    H) On install of Insider fast ring perform Registry hack to enter Skip Ahead branch.
    I) Make backup image.

Tony K, Sep 16, 2018
  3. JLB
    JLB Win User
    Move user folder loc'n: pls confirm - pgms will store data on d:\ HDD

That seems to working just fine. Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm not going to mark this as "solved" for a day or two as there are a few things I want to check out first.

Regards

EDIT: to Dalchina - Folders AppData (hidden), Dropbox (not hidden), MicrosoftEdgeBackups (hidden), OneDrive (not hidden) and Roaming (not hidden) did not have a tab for Location so I guess there's too much hardcoded in Win10 to allow them to be moved.

4. No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????

Edge Favourites Missing After "Fresh Start" Windows 10 Reinstallation

Heart failure averted - the EdgeManage utility worked! Thank you for suggesting it. =)

As described in the EdgeManage guide, I found a backup under a hidden folder named
    %USERPROFILE%\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\backups\MicrosoftEdgeBackup20180524\DatastoreBackup in the form of spartan.edb.
    The scary thing is it's apparently only valid for 24 hours before it's overwritten with bad data (phew!):

If you are running Windows 10 "Spring 2018 Update" (version 1803), then Edge has most likely made an internal database backup of your favorites. However, this backup is replaced at least once a day... so you have to be quick! Otherwise, the backup
    will be overwritten by bad data.

It's the same time limit and similar procedure for the previous build, 1709, but the target file is ..\MicrosoftEdgeBackup\bookmarks.html.

Anyhow, delighted I have my favourites back. Thank you for persevering and providing the solution. =)

Kind regards,

Tony

P.S. In answer to your follow-up question, I mentioned I had checked the %userprofile%\Favourites location in my original message and found just a default set of favourites.

Tony Almeda, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????

1. No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups????? - Similar Threads - More MicrosoftEdgeBackups

2. Microsoft finally tests “more reliable” Windows Search on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft finally tests “more reliable” Windows Search on Windows 10: Windows 10’s April 2024 preview update has arrived with changes to Settings, Lock screen, and other components. This update finally addresses a significant problem with the Search feature. The official update page mentions that the search is now more reliable. You can expect...
  3. Snapping windows is causing more clicks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snapping windows is causing more clicks: I finally figured out how to stop the snapping windows from showing me the different layouts. Is there any way I can stop my snaps from automatically going to a narrow screen in the middle of the screen? I am constantly spending time with my windows anymore maximizing,...
  4. Snapping windows is causing more clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snapping windows is causing more clicks: I finally figured out how to stop the snapping windows from showing me the different layouts. Is there any way I can stop my snaps from automatically going to a narrow screen in the middle of the screen? I am constantly spending time with my windows anymore maximizing,...
  5. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased more space but it isn't activating.: I recently passed my storage capacity and had to purchase more space. After the purchase, my account states that i am only using %1 of my storage space but am still unable to receive, or send emails as if im still full. When i try to send an email or receive one with another...
  6. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

Purchased more space but it isn't activating.: I recently passed my storage capacity and had to purchase more space. After the purchase, my account states that i am only using %1 of my storage space but am still unable to receive, or send emails as if im still full. When i try to send an email or receive one with another...
  7. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Just need a little more help with removing all OneDrive files and ensuring that no files in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just need a little more help with removing all OneDrive files and ensuring that no files in...: I had asked this question back in end of March, received a reply, and replied to that quite a while later, but have not received a response. I did take too long to attempt the actions and then ask about, so that is my fault. For the time being, I do still need that help.One...
  9. Just need a little more help with removing all OneDrive files and ensuring that no files in...

Just need a little more help with removing all OneDrive files and ensuring that no files in...: I had asked this question back in end of March, received a reply, and replied to that quite a while later, but have not received a response. I did take too long to attempt the actions and then ask about, so that is my fault. For the time being, I do still need that help.One...
  10. Windows 11 Bluetooth COM Ports Disappear from More Bluetooth Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Bluetooth COM Ports Disappear from More Bluetooth Settings: I have been having an intermittent issue with Windows 11 on Bluetooth COM Ports. When initially pairing, the device will go into COM7 and COM8 in More Bluetooth Settings->COM Ports Image is failing to upload right now, sorry.The problem I have is that with seemingly no change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoftedgebackups

2. MicrosoftEdgeBackups folder

3. MicrosoftEdgeBackup folder

4. microsoftedgebackup ,
  5. microsoftedgebackups windows10,
  6. microsoftedgebackups software,
  7. folder microsoftedgebackup,
  8. restore edge userprofile microsoftedgebackups,
  9. microsoftedgebackups user,
  10. how use MicrosoftEdgeBackup,
  11. is it safe to delete microsoftedgebackup folder,