Windows 10: Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text.

Discus and support Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I choose the Windows theme from Windows Default Themes or Windows Installed Themes, I get a think border on windows, but it's transparent. I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mrolle, Sep 22, 2016.

1. mrolle Win User

Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text.

If I choose the Windows theme from Windows Default Themes or Windows Installed Themes, I get a think border on windows, but it's transparent.

I got the aerolite and aerolite (white-text) themes from Aerolite Theme - Install in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Both of these give me solid borders, but the text of my clock system icon is black. The white-text version still gives me black text.

I notice that the High Contrast themes give me thick colored borders and white text. I don't want to use these, but I mention this to give someone possibly a clue as to how to make things work.

The black text came with the windows update that I installed today (Sept 22).

So I'd like to see:

(1) a way to remove the window border transparency without affecting other properties,

(2) a way to set white text without affecting other properties,

or (3) posting a theme file that has colored borders and white text.

BTW, I wonder if the .msstyles files have something to do with this. I think I downloaded aero\aero.msstyles and aero\aerolite.msstyles in July, they are dated 7/16/16. But I saved an older version of these, dated 10/30/15. This was before I upgraded from Windows 7 to WIndows 10.

:)

mrolle, Sep 22, 2016
  2. LilH3zmAn Win User

Windows 10 how to get rid of thick colored borders!!!

thank you but this worked but only for chrome, everything else still has thick borders also how do i get the title bar back to white? thanks

LilH3zmAn, Sep 22, 2016
  3. CMOYA Win User
    Windows 10 windows' borders are too thin!!

It was not in Win 3.x because they had borders on resizable windows and non-resizable windows. The only difference was non-resizable borders did not have the little line to separate the corners.

Wrong. Resizable windows had a thick border. Non-resizable windows had no border (just a 1-pixel outline similar to Windows 10). For msg boxes that needed to call attention to themselves and did have a thick border, yes, the
    visual cue was the corners were different (as you noted). That was the visual cue.

Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text. [​IMG]

It was not in Win 9x because they had borders on resizable and non resizable windows and with its preponderance of grey, it was often hard to tell where border ended and the program began.

This is mostly true except resizable windows had a subtly thicker border (easily seen below) AND
    UI standards called for them to have a chevron in the lower right corner
    to indicate that they could be resized.

[Edit] Also, UI standards also called for resizable windows to be mostly white while non-resizable windows (a.k.a. dialog boxes) mostly grey (as in the picture below). While this may not have always been followed, it was rare (and odd) to see a resizable
    window that was ALL grey... and if you did see one that was, you better bet that chevron was (or should have been) there in the bottom right.

It was not in XP but the default blue borders made it easier to tell the difference between the border and the program - but not between resizable and sizable ones.

Again, not true. Similar to 9x, resizable borders were thicker- although only by 1 pixel. And anyway, nobody would ever call WinXP a pinnacle of UI design. Despite XP's longevity, Luna is one of the most derided user interfaces in history.

[Edit] As you can see from the screenshot, resizable borders are 4 pixels wide, while static ones are 3. This might not sound like a big difference, but in practice it was very noticeable and worked decently well. Additionally, XP continues the use of using
    the chevron on the bottom right to indicate resize.

As for XP, the same for the Aero twins - except both the resizable and non resizable borders were a simulated glass look.

I would agree that at this point it became almost impossible to tell the difference. Resizable borders were STILL 1-pixel wider than non-resizable ones, but aero glass transparency made it virtually impossible to tell the difference.

In any case, I am not for thick borders. I happen to like Windows 10's thin borders. My point is that I can see why some people are confused by the inconsistencies (that have been noted ad nauseam such as the top right click differences). I believe consistency
    goes a long way in UI design. Others might disagree.

CMOYA, Sep 22, 2016
  4. mrolle Win User

The problem is in the .msstyles files - aero.msstyles and aerolite.msstyles.
    aero is used by most themes, and it has the transparent borders. aerolite has the solid borders but black text.
    I've found a tool for editing .msstyles files, but no documentation about which of the resources controls the text color or solid border behavior. It's called msstylesEditor. It presents me with hundreds of names and subnames, and lists of properties/values. Lots of these resources are images, which the tool will show. Unfortunately, it has no print facility so I can't easily compare the aero and aerolite files with each other.

ResourceHacker presents a completely different set of names, and the values are all in hex, no further interpretation, and no print facility.

I would need to open both files in separate windows with either tool and go down the lists and see what's different.

I'd prefer if somebody who knows more about this stuff would fix the aerolite file and produce a white-text version that actually works.

Thank you.

mrolle, Sep 23, 2016
  5. SonicBlue Win User
    Winaero Tweaker has a Aero Lite setting in that allows you to set it at Aerolite White text.

SonicBlue, Sep 23, 2016
  6. mrolle Win User
    *Sad*Sad
    I tried Winaero Tweaker's white text tweak, but it doesn't work. I still get black text. Something changed in the latest Windows update.

The only difference between the two themes installed by the Tweaker is that the white text version has added:

Code: [Control Panel\Colors] TitleText=255 255 255 InactiveTitleText=160 160 160[/quote] I think this used to work before the windows update.

mrolle, Sep 23, 2016
  7. mrolle Win User
    BTW, I had saved an older version, dated 10/30/15, of aero\aerolite.msstyles. I tried using this file instead of the 7/16/16 version, and no difference in behavior. *Sad

mrolle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Non-transparent and thick window borders AND white text. - Similar Threads - Non transparent thick

2. red and gray border around transparent white box on all videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    red and gray border around transparent white box on all videos: Hi, I am having an issue with all video and game playback. there is a transparent white box with a gray border and a red border around that. it is displayed on half of the video and is unclickable. I have no idea what to do....
  3. red and gray border around transparent white box on all videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    red and gray border around transparent white box on all videos: Hi, I am having an issue with all video and game playback. there is a transparent white box with a gray border and a red border around that. it is displayed on half of the video and is unclickable. I have no idea what to do....
  4. 1 pixel border around menus and thick borders

in Windows 10 Customization
    1 pixel border around menus and thick borders: Hey,I recently got a problem where my taskbar menus got a 1 pixel border, and the Windows Settings menu has a very thick border. Control Panel menus are even weirder than the Settings menu. I've fixed this temporarily repeatedly by switching to another preset Windows theme...
  5. Thick borders for CMD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thick borders for CMD: When you launch CMD (CMD.exe) you get a window with black background, with a white header, and white scroll-bar on the right side, ... but on the bottom and on the left side, there is no border. Or, there is, but it is one pixel wide, and in dark grey. This is super annoying...
  6. Windows frame border thickness

Windows frame border thickness: For my work purpose , the only reason I use MS windows 10 is because of 1 software only: Kakaotalk a Korean chatting platform. As soon as Kakaotalk is supported in Linux, goodbye Windows. What I cannot stand in Windows 10 is the fact that MS has decided that the almost...
  7. Increase Border thickness

Increase Border thickness: Hi How do I increase the border thickness of windows? And I did try with settings Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\BorderWidth and \PaddedBorderWidth but that only changed the window Title thickness....
  8. How To Adjust The Window Border Thickness

How To Adjust The Window Border Thickness: Hello, so previously I was able to use the WindowMetrics in the Registry to adjust the border thickness for windows (refer to the image), yet that no longer works. There are two settings at: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics Named:...
  9. Is it possible to change window border thickness?

Is it possible to change window border thickness?: I am not liking the very thin black window borders, when I open a lot of windows it can be hard to tell where one ends and another begins. Is there any way that you can increase the thickness of the window outline? 10206
  10. Thick border bug in windows 10 (some apps)

in Windows 10 Support
    Thick border bug in windows 10 (some apps): Hi, i facing with something so ugly in my beautiful: Windows 10 Pro Build 10240 64 bit and that is thick border of some windows, i not sure it a bug or Incompatibility of some software in new windows 10! here is some examples (see screenshot) : [img] So, there is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thick windows borders