Windows 10: Norton and Defender conflict

Discus and support Norton and Defender conflict in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since the KB 4471332 Windows 10 (V1809) Update I have had problems with security conflicts on my Acer Laptop. I had previously posted this problem in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MatureSoccerFan, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Norton and Defender conflict

Since the KB 4471332 Windows 10 (V1809) Update I have had problems with security conflicts on my Acer Laptop. I had previously posted this problem in the 'Updates' forum and thought that I had resolved it by a simple Norton uninstall/reinstall but it seems that the problem came back at next reboot (the advice given in my last post was simply to dump Norton). For background info, I always switch off my devices when not in use and manually check for updates when I log back in. Immediately after the KB4471332 update I noticed a big and unusual Defender update so checked it out.

I found that I had to drill well down into the security settings before I realised that there was and is a problem. (It crosses my mind that others may have the same problem and not realised it?)

Norton is shown as operating normally. No warnings of conflicts or warnings that Norton is switched off or any part disabled. Norton updates and scans normally.

Going into Settings and opening Windows Security usually comes up with everything ticked and showing everything working normally although sometimes the Virus and Threat Protection icon is blank ie not ticked. But otherwise, no hint of any problem.

Clicking into the Virus and Threat Protection part and we see the first real hint of problems. This is now most often showing the normal Defender information but sometimes shows nothing - the device seems to be searching for the information.

Clicking onto Security Provider it sometimes states 'no information available' or it states Anti Virus Norton is 'off' and device is unprotected with Anti Virus Defender shown as 'on'. The Firewall may say Norton Firewall is 'off' and either Windows Firewall is 'on' or it can say 'off'. When it says 'Windows Firewall off', I clicked on the Firewall and Protection icon and it clearly states that Windows Firewall is 'on'.

Every time I log into the Laptop, the information within security in Settings is slightly different each time - including (rarely) showing normal Norton operation.

My PC that updated at the same time and has the same operating system and security software has no such problem.

I did raise this question in the Norton Forum and the person responding thought it was a missing Registry item causing the problem with the advice to get onto Norton techy people for them to access my device remotely. I am not that keen on that and am wondering if there is another way that I can solve this.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

:)

MatureSoccerFan, Dec 27, 2018
  2. JLangille Win User

Norton - Windows Defender Conflict

Hello,

Every month or so, Windows Defender will activate and Norton will deactivate. Virus protection and Spyware and unwanted software protection will be covered by Windows Defender. I tried turning off Windows Defender and turn on Norton (in Security and Maintenance in
    Control Panel) , but it won't let me and I tried to end the process tree of Windows Defender thru Task Manager (End process tree when right click on any Windows Defender process in Details), but it didn't work. Eventually, Windows Defender will deactivate
    and Norton will activate.

I don't know if this is a Norton problem or a Windows problem, but it bothers me every time it happens. I prefer to use Norton. Is this normal? Is there a problem with Windows Defender? Is there a way to deactivate Windows Defender permanently?

Thanks

JLangille, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Windows Antivirus enabled Norton Antivirus disabled?

Assuming you've got Norton installed...

Two suggestions to try.

I use Malwarebytes Free (also have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) with Windows Defender and there are no conflicts.

But you may want to seek advice from Norton about using Malwarebytes products concurrently with Norton programs

Regards...

Le Boule, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Le Boule Win User

Norton and Defender conflict

Le Boule, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Norton and Defender conflict

1. Norton and Defender conflict - Similar Threads - Norton Defender conflict

2. Norton 360 and Windows Defender both are off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Norton 360 and Windows Defender both are off: Hi, I want to write about subject matter, I see that both are off and I cannot make it on one of them also. I have been to web site of Windows and I found the same problem and the solution, I tried all of three and nothing work. Any other solution please? I am using Windows...
  3. Windows 10 Version 2004. Conflict with Norton Security?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Version 2004. Conflict with Norton Security?: Just run the latest update on my PC. Everything seemed to work fine but I tried to do a manual updated on my Norton security after the installation was completed. Although everything looked normal and running properly in the background, it will not open. Checked 'settings'...
  4. Windows Defender or Norton

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender or Norton: Should I stay with windows defender or go with Norton? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-or-norton/eb0e3ceb-7a08-49a3-9414-5bbd384c1f39
  5. BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender: I use a BlueSound system to play my music throughout the house. The system uses a BluOS operating system. The app plays the music collection on my desktop PC through the wireless network in the house. If I Windows Defender ON the entire Bluesound media will not work. I...
  6. NORTON Security vs Windows Defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NORTON Security vs Windows Defender: I am a Windows 10 OS user. Quite happy with it's performance. However, since the very recent update 1903, I am facing slowing down of my system. I am not an IT expert but a learned user. I am being advised to remove the Norton Security system, which is a licensed version...
  7. windows defender mcaffee and norton

windows defender mcaffee and norton: I have mcaffee and Norton 360 on my computer. I have clicked over to windows defender. when I click on mcaffee or Norton 360 nothing seems to happen. do I still need them ? can I run them separate to windows defender? or are they now surplus as windows defender is all I...
  8. Windows Defender and Quicken 2018 Conflicts

Windows Defender and Quicken 2018 Conflicts: Does someone have the specific exclusions for Windows 10 Pro Defender Antivirus to keep it from intercepting Quicken 2018...
  9. Norton Security products updated pulled as it conflicts with Windows

Norton Security products updated pulled as it conflicts with Windows: Norton Security products updated pulled as it conflicts with Windows Action Center Windows Action Center reports that Norton is turned off after I update my Norton product Norton 22.5.5 Product Update available now [Pulled Back] | Norton Community 30995
  10. activating windows defender without uninstalling norton

activating windows defender without uninstalling norton: Hi, I've had an issue with Norton Security Suite supplied by Comcast ever since upgrading to Windows 10. It's a perpetual popup of the Norton Download Manager whether Norton is installed or not. End up going back to Norton support and though their techs have taken control of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do windows firewall and norton conflict

2. problems with windows defender and norton

3. do defender and norton confilict

4. does win defender and norton 360 conflict,
  5. norton and windows security conflict,
  6. can windows virus and norton conflict,
  7. does windows defender conflict with norton online?,
  8. conflict nortons safeweb and defender,
  9. does windows defender conflict with norton,
  10. dos norton conflict windows defender,
  11. can windows defender and norton 360 both be running on my laptop the latest feature update 1803 on windows 10 pro did not recognise norton 360 and i have both now,
  12. does windows defender firewall conflick with norton security,
  13. conflit microsoft defender norton,
  14. windows updates interfeared with my norton anti virus and switched me to defender,
  15. norton 360 vs windows defender 2018