Windows 10: Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue

Discus and support Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Desktop PC OS is Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1903, updated to build 18362.356 on 11th Sept 2019, with Norton Security installed. A week later, on 18th... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wiganken, Sep 24, 2019.

1. wiganken Win User

Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue

Desktop PC OS is Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1903, updated to build 18362.356 on 11th Sept 2019, with Norton Security installed. A week later, on 18th September, my OS began showing that Norton Security Antivirus (NS AV) is turned OFF (although it is actually ON) and Windows Defender Antivirus (WD AV) is ON and is now downloading daily WD Definition Updates.

Security restrictions do not allow a user to manually switch one product OFF and switch another ON so it was necessary to uninstall and reinstall NS in order to get it to force Windows to turn OFF WD AV. All is OK now.

I suspect that a ‘silent’ Norton Upgrade on 18th September temporarily disabled NS AV while the upgrade took place and in this time period Windows enabled WD AV. After NS upgrade completed it seemed to work OK but the upgrade procedure failed to switch off WD AV and, temporarily, there have been two AV programs working at the same time.

I didn't notice any performance problems and I only noticed something was amiss when I saw the 'rotating arrow' indicating that something was happening in the background. I checked and found regular WD AV Definition updates had been installed.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to how this could have happened? Has it happened to anyone else? Perhaps check your computer security status if you also have Norton security installed.

:)

wiganken, Sep 24, 2019

2. Norton Security not loading with Windows 10 - Why?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community forums!

I would recommend you follow the below given steps and check if it fixes the issue.

I would suggest you to restart the Norton services from the services list, and set the Norton service to automatic.

Follow these steps to run Norton services:

Method 1:

Follow these steps to run Norton services

a. Press Windows key + R

b. In the run windows, type services.msc

c. It will open services windows

d. select norton services from the list of services

e. double click on it

f. At the top of the window, Make sure the service status is started and startup type is
    automatic.

g.Click apply and OK.

If this does not fix the issue, try uninstalling and reinstalling Norton software and check if it helps.

If the above steps do not help , I would suggest you to contact Norton for further help.

Let us know the status.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Norton security won't open

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to open Norton? Do you get any error messages if yes please provide error message?

I suggest you to try running Printer troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue.
    To do so kindly follow the below given steps.

Method 1: Running Printer Troubleshooter.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    If the issue persist please refer to below method.

Method 2: I suggest you to make printer as a Default Printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select device manager.
    • Select devices and printers
    • Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click set as default printer (You'll
      see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer)
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Le Boule Win User

Norton Security Incompatible With Windows 10?

Does Norton say you have a version of their product that is compatible with Win 10?

See Fix problems with Norton after upgrading to Windows 10

And

https://updatecenter.norton.com

Alternatively - - -

Two suggestions to try.

Good luck…

P.S. I'm not employed by MS!

Le Boule, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue - Similar Threads - Norton Security 'silent'

2. Norton Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Norton Security: Is Norton Security a scam? I called 411 and the Operator could not find ANY listing for Norton. I paid for a year subscription again last March. They get lost from my laptop more and more often and my brother a few years ago had to pay a man $500 Bank Debit card for him to...
  3. Norton security isue

Norton security isue: Ahoj, můžeš mi pomoct s tímto isue? Moje aplikace zabezpečení Norton se nezapíná.Nemohu jej ani zavřít ve správci úloh jako administrátor, nemůžu jej odinstalovat, protože běží program a nemůžu mazat soubory, protože nemám oprávnění jako uživatel ani jako administrátor....
  4. Norton security

Norton security: The instructions for putting a Norton icon on my desktop don't work. Cannot drag and drop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/norton-security/f865366d-b89e-4b4d-8966-7777ec92d4be
  5. norton security

norton security: i have comcast for internet and they offer norton security for there antivirus protection. but i'm wondering if it is any better than what i have now. a few years ago i asked about virus program and some said to use the avast and ccleaner and malwarebytes and a few others but...
  6. Norton Security

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Norton Security: I have Norton Security on my Windows 10 v1903 pc. Just bought a laptop Windows 10 v1903 went into Microsoft store and downloaded Norton app. Clicked on launch and it opened in Explorer browser but could see nothing regarding Norton. Clicked on search on taskbar this only gave...
  7. Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background: I'm at a loss. For a month, I'm occasionally having a silent BSOD that occurs in the background without me noticing anything weird while using, booting or shutting down my PC. It shows up in the Reliability History as a hardware error for some reason and it has happened 3...
  8. Norton security scan

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Norton security scan: I see Norton Security Scan suddenly has a shortcut on my desktop. The file info says it was created a few days ago and I did get an update recently. Is it normal for this application to insert itself like this? I thought I had removed Norton after I set up my own A/V...
  9. Norton Utilities and Norton Security useful or not ?

Norton Utilities and Norton Security useful or not ?: Just finished a reinstall of Windows 10, and I was wondering what the peanut gallery thought of these two programs. I uninstalled the Norton Security about a month ago while chasing my OS crashing issues. (Norton Security wasn't my problem), but I read good reports, and...
  10. Norton Security not working

Norton Security not working: Hello all, Recently I installed norton security and it made my ati drivers crash. I had to uninstall norton in order to get the drivers to work. So is there any other antivirus out there that is compatible with win 10 and wont make my drivers crash? 6092

Users found this page by searching for:

1. norton for some reason will not manually scan in 2019