Windows 10: Not enough space for upgrade

Discus and support Not enough space for upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm in possession of a Lenovo Yoga 300, which has Win 8.1 on it. I offered to upgrade it to Win 10 for the owner (the notification says it's fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by abibee, May 25, 2016.

1. abibee Win User

Not enough space for upgrade

Hi,
    I'm in possession of a Lenovo Yoga 300, which has Win 8.1 on it. I offered to upgrade it to Win 10 for the owner (the notification says it's fine for this). However, the SSD is only ~20Gb, and after a disk cleanup has only approx 5 or 6Gb's free. Windows upgrade said it needed more (16 free if I recall).
    How do I get around this? There's no optical drive, so would I be able to use a USB thumb drive to install 10, would that get around it? If I could get Win 10 on it through upgrade procedure, I could format the SSD and do a clean install via the USB again. If I'm right? Or do I tell them they're stuck with 8.1?

:)

abibee, May 25, 2016

2. Keep saying not enough space for Window 10 upgrade

Hi JoJo,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in Windows update settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• From what version of windows are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10?
    • How are you trying to upgrade to Windows? Is it through Windows updates or Media Creation tool?

I suggest you use the Media Creation Tool in the below link and choose Upgrade option to upgrade to Windows 10. Before upgrading to Windows 10, I suggest you to take a backup of important files and folders to the external drive.

Download Windows 10

Also I recommend you to free up some more memory space using disk cleanup and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

Please get back to us with an update on issue with upgrading to Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 25, 2016
  3. Keep saying not enough space for Window 10 upgrade

Hi everyone, i tried to upgrade my hp laptop to window 10 however it says 20GB is required for the upgrade, i thought i don't have enough space so I moved some of my files to an external hard disk. After that my local PC drive shows out free space as 25GB
    but still, when I go with the upgrade, it still tells me not enough space!!

Can anyone tell me what should I do?

Thanks.

JoJo ViennaYeung, May 25, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

the reason you do not have enough space for the upgrade - is because windows 10 will rewrite the current OS and place the old OS in the Windows.old folder... Thus you really will have 2 OS's on current disk...

If you have a SDCard insert it into the bay and proceed with the upgrade..
    windows should use the SDCard and move the windows.old folder over to it...

5. abibee Win User
    I don't own an SD card, only a thumb drive that's 4Gig. That's my only option.

abibee, May 25, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    That Lenovo is a Tablet and it should have a slot for an SDHC or MicroSDXC card, my Dell Venue 8 has 32GB drive and I added a 64GB MicroSDXC card.

Berton, May 25, 2016
  7. abibee Win User
    I don't possess an SD card. That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to do it via a USB stick.

abibee, May 25, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can create a Windows 10 installation USB:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Clean everything off the "disk" on the tablet you can - I think this all works under Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 10:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Reset Windows updates, I also think this works in Windows 8.1:
    Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I would NOT recommend doing a clean install until you obtain more storage resources because you will probably need to save drivers from the tablet first, and it would be a good idea to save an image of the "disk" first also. I put "disk" in quotes because it is really eMMC and not a disk. Although really - it is very highly recommended that you make an image of the existing "disk" first before upgrading anyway.

Hopefully that cleans enough off the "disk" on the tablet and you can run setup.exe from the USB flash drive to upgrade to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  9. abibee Win User
    I see, thanks. I think I'm going to buy an SD card for it, 32 or 64, and do it that way, it could do with extra storage anyway, 20Gb is nothing. They better appreciate it! *Smile

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the assistance.

abibee, May 25, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    One of the biggest problems with Tablets - is that they are touch..
    In order to get input to the tablet - you need to install the drivers, First...

This is true for the OS and the Recovery..

Doing an upgrade - will preserve the drivers for the OS, but not the recovery...

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's true. Most tablets have a micro-USB port, so it is always good to have a micro-USB OTG adapter to connect a mouse and/or keyboard.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  13. abibee Win User

Thanks a lot for the help folks. The precautions link especially, very useful to know.

I had no such problems upgrading my pc, but I'm guessing these laptop/tablets are more fussy. At least I'm not going into it blind.

A 64Gb SD card has been purchased, awaiting delivery. *Smile

abibee, May 25, 2016
  14. abibee Win User
    Ok I have my SDXC card in the laptop/tablet, 128GB. How exactly do I use it to get Win 10 installed?

I've backed up the Win8.1 with Bing to the SD Card, and backed up the drivers to a folder too. As per a link above.

abibee, May 31, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Copy the Windows 10 ISO file to the SD Card. Run disk cleanup using option 2 here and check every option:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Mount the ISO file stored on the SD Card and run setup.exe from the virtual drive letter that gets created.

NavyLCDR, May 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Not enough space for upgrade - Similar Threads - enough space upgrade

2. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  3. "Not enough space"

"Not enough space": I'm trying to download a file, but it always says something like "There isn't enough space" even though I have tons of storage left. I've scanned the file and used 2 different antivirus software to scan my computer McAffee and malwarebytes and there is no problems with my...
  4. Not enough storage space despite enough storage space?

Not enough storage space despite enough storage space?: Hello, I have upgraded from on my PC from HDD to M2 ssd so cloned and cloned everything to the m2. Even Windows. For this I have connected an external ssd on which I want to load more games now the ext. SSD has 650gb free memory but it shows is origin, uplay or steam in...
  5. not enough space to reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    not enough space to reset: Tryinfg to resewt my computer and will not let me.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-to-reset/29e95358-eabe-4b8d-a5da-2035b0c8d3f5
  6. Not Enough Space?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not Enough Space?: Hello, I recently started using a new laptop computer that has Windows 10 on it. But now it is telling me it needs to be updated to a newer version of Windows 10. But when I try to install it, my computer says there isn't enough space on it to install the new version of...
  7. "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.

"Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.: Getting a very strange error when trying to copy a file onto a drive: [ATTACH] Looks like there's enough space to me... halp. :P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-when-theres-enough-space/c484ca99-4210-4ee7-8d07-d66ad4843183"
  8. Not enough space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Not enough space: Hi to all...I have 2 drives in my computer and the C drive is nearly full, it has a capacity of 117gb, my D drive capacity is 911gb. I have just reinstalled windows and a few other progs and it is nearly full only 19gb free now, while the D drive is just about empty. can I...
  9. Not enough space

in Windows 10 Support
    Not enough space: Hi to all...I have 2 drives in my computer and the C drive is nearly full, it has a capacity of 117gb, my D drive capacity is 911gb. I have just reinstalled windows and a few other progs and it is nearly full only 19gb free now, while the D drive is just about empty. can I...
  10. not enough disk space.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not enough disk space.: I am trying to update windows 10 but it tells me I do not have enough disk space. I have added a flash driver and a sdhc but still says not enough disk space....