Windows 10: Notification area icon problems

Discus and support Notification area icon problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, A few days ago I started getting a pop up error message when I log in to windows. [img] Aside from this error, which from what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MoogLe, May 23, 2016.

1. MoogLe Win User

Notification area icon problems

Hey guys,

A few days ago I started getting a pop up error message when I log in to windows.

Notification area icon problems [​IMG]

Aside from this error, which from what I understand says that it is having trouble loading the icon in the notification area, I also noticed that the icons for some other startup apps would fail to load eventhough the apps succesfully load up and run in the background.

The ones I noticed are:

Netdrives (The one giving the aforementioned error)
    Steam (only happens sometimes)

So what is puzzling me even more is that if I do a system restore to a date before this problem started, it would seemingly fix it. But after a restart or two, it would come back.

So I'm not sure whether it is some update to one of these apps causing this or what exactly it is. But I'm not entirely sure where to start troubleshooting this other than just start uninstalling apps and seeing whether one of them is the culprit.

So I'm hoping that the knowledgeable members on here would point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

:)

MoogLe, May 23, 2016
  2. ms1406 Win User

Missing Notification area Icon in Windows 10 control Panel

thanks , but you did not understand the problem.

I have since found the solution wlsewhere:

To add a hidden icon to the notification area

• Click the arrow next to the notification area, and then drag the icon you want to move to the notification area. You can drag as many hidden icons to the notification area as you want.

To
    always show all icons on the taskbar

• Right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click Properties.

• Under Notification area, click Customize.

• Select the Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar check box, and then click
      OK.

ms1406, May 23, 2016
  3. Notification area icon problems

Hi,

Netdrives (Here) is well above version 1.0.4.0 now (Latest Windows is 2.6.9) & recommends users of Windows 10 to re-install after upgrading. Does this apply to you?

Lottiemansion, May 23, 2016
  4. MoogLe Win User
    That does not seem to be the same application

This is the one I'm using

hardcodet.net Simple Network Share Management

It's only used to automatically map my network drives upon login since windows cant seem to do a decent job at it. It's a very old app that does not seem to be updated anymore but I havent found any alternatives so far. I'm open to suggestions.

MoogLe, May 23, 2016
  5. MoogLe Win User
    I may contact the developer of the app to see if he may have any ideas but I don't think the underlying problem is due to netdrives since I have detected other apps that are also affected by it. This is just the only one giving an error message.

MoogLe, May 23, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello MoogLe, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You might see if reinstalling NetDrives may help if something is just corrupted with it.

For the others, you might see if resetting the notifications area icons may help.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, May 23, 2016
  7. MoogLe Win User

thanks for the welcome!

I will definitely try those suggestions!

MoogLe, May 23, 2016
  8. MoogLe Win User
    So I tried the suggestions and it did not help.

Here is exactly the order of what I did.

I started by opening up the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" list and noticed that some of the apps that are giving me issues were set to off in this list. So I switched them on but it did not seem to do anything.

So I then uninstalled netdrives and followed the guide to reset the notification area and restarted.
    Ofcourse no more netdrives error since it is not installed, but problem still persisted with the other applications. I'm still not getting an icon for displayfusion, skype, steam etc

I again opened up the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" list and noticed that allot of apps were missing including most of the problematic apps.

I decided to reinstall netdrives, restart and error message came back.

So I'm pretty much in the exact same place I started.

I also found a log file for netdrives and decided to post it up here since maybe that might make some sense to the more advanced members

I don't know this seems to me like windows is somehow blocking access to the notification area to some applications. I've been using this app for 2-3 years with no problems and this really came out of nowhere.

MoogLe, May 25, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 25, 2016
  10. MoogLe Win User
    Well somehow this problem seems to have fixed itself.

Im guessing maybe one of my startup programs may have automatically updated which caused the error and now updated again to fix it. Eventhough I'm not aware of any of those programs that silently update in the background like that but it's the only thing I can think of.

In any case, the problem is gone so I would just like to thank everyone that pitched in with the ideas.

MoogLe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Notification area icon problems - Similar Threads - Notification area icon

2. Icons in Taskbar Notification Area

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons in Taskbar Notification Area: I keep having to re-enable my preferred apps in the "Select which icons appear on Taskbar notification area". Is there a fix for this? 183716
  3. Notification Area Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification Area Icons Missing: Most of the previous icons I had in my Notification Area are gone. I've tried resetting them in TaskBar Settings with no luck. Have also tried resetting Windows Explorer. Nothing works! Help!...
  4. Unwanted icons in the notification area

Unwanted icons in the notification area: Some programs insist on putting their icon in the notification tray, and then the company uses that "feature" for advertising in relentless pop up notifications. This is not an appropriate use of the notification tray, nor should have Microsoft allowed such program behavior...
  5. Notification Area Icons - not showing any icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area Icons - not showing any icons: [img] [img] [img] I tried some .bat files from this forum, but nothing changed Windows 10 version: 190318 Please help me to solve this...thanks 151929
  6. notification area sound icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notification area sound icon: Windows 10 on Bootcamp - Notification area sound icon does not control sound, any ideas please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-area-sound-icon/4cf1a029-4624-41fc-88d5-8f22ea492241
  7. icon in notification area

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    icon in notification area: my icon in notification area has grows legs and left it is missing . how do I get it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/icon-in-notification-area/d449855c-35f5-4971-adc1-47e795376db8
  8. Notification Area Icons location

Notification Area Icons location: Could not find "Notification Area Icons" in "All Control Panel Items" for Windows 10, but I could find it under Settings-System-Notifications. Is that normal for Windows 10? How can I add it in the "All Control Panel Items"? Thanks 42364
  9. Customize the Notification Area Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize the Notification Area Icons: Hi ! In Windows 7 there was a pannel to customize which icons you want to show or hide in the Notification Area. Like this : [img] Does this pannel got deleted in Windows 10 ? If yes, is there a solution to hide/show icons from the notification area ? The options...
  10. Notification Area Display Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area Display Problem: On Build 14271 my notification area changed to, Main monitor, [img] Other two monitors, [img] How do i get the main monitor to display the same as the other two (without the two white bars)? 42037