Windows 10: Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 How to Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 The notification area is located at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by weamish, Sep 22, 2015.

1. weamish Win User

Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

How to: Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

How to Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

The notification area is located at the right end of the taskbar, and it contains app and system icons that provide status and notifications about things like incoming email, updates, and network connectivity.

Sometimes the notification area icons cache may get corrupted causing the icons to display incorrectly or distorted, and still show icons of uninstalled apps in Notification Area Icons settings. When this happens, the notification area icons needs to be deleted in the registry to reset and automatically recreate it.

The notification area icons cache for each user account is located as the IconStreams and PastIconsStream binary values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

This tutorial will show you how to reset the notification area icons cache to fix any corrupted icons and remove any old icons from the taskbar notification area for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Taskbar notification area icons

Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 [​IMG]

EXAMPLE: "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" in Settings

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below.
    Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat

Download
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Close and save anything that you are working on before proceeding. The next steps will involve killing explorer and restarting the PC.

4. Run the .bat file.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve. If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to no longer get the Run (Open File - Security Warning) prompt.

6. Follow the instructions in the command prompt to reset your notification area icons. If you do not restart the computer now, you will need to later to finish resetting your notification area icons. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

weamish, Sep 22, 2015
  2. Smittychat., Sep 22, 2015
  3. ms1406 Win User
    Missing Notification area Icon in Windows 10 control Panel

When Iinstalled Windows 10 the Notification Area was long in the task bar, but the PC crashed so I had to reset windows 10. Initially all the non-Windows applications were removed. I had to re-install them again, since the refresh/reset I have
    noticed that the Notification Area is minimal and to see all icons I have to use the up arrow on the side of the system tray. I have looked in the Control Panel and disappeared that the Notification Area Icon is not available. I have tried Refresh/Reset again
    just to get the icon back in the Control Panel. This has not happened. Has
    Microsoft permanently removed the Notification Area Icon from the control Panel? If so, how can I increase the length of the Notification Area/System Tray in the Task Bar?

ms1406, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could Weamish. *Smile

Brink, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    I just used this to clean up my new Windows 10 upgrade installation - very useful and quick. Note your antivirus may block it from running and you may need to enable the bat file to run from your antivirus program.

Steve C, Dec 6, 2015
  6. Brink, why don't we just delete the values for IconStreams and PastIconsStream (or the items themselves)? Of course, after backing up the registry...

CDPlayerKC, Dec 21, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello CDPlayerKC, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

That's what the .bat file does for you. The .bat file kills explorer, deletes those two registry values, then restarts explorer.

Brink, Dec 21, 2015
  8. Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10

This tutorial shows how to delete icons for uninstalled apps from the taskbar. Uninstalled apps can also show up in Show Notifications from these Apps. Many people have this problem, but I have been unable to find a solution. This link on the Microsoft website gives more details.

I have uninstalled both Copernic search and Lookeen search but they still show up. Do you know of a way to delete them from this list?

Thanks

braincramp, Mar 15, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello braincamp,

Unfortunately, not without breaking live tiles of apps pinned to Start. *Sad

Brink, Mar 15, 2016
  10. Finally Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat worked.
    Could not find PastIconsStream.
    IconStreams was the only binary there.
    Thanks.*Biggrin

BLooDSaCHoK, Apr 8, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help BLooDSaCHoK, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Apr 8, 2016
  12. Your batch file works great! *Thumbs
    Finally, all my uninstalled apps disappeared from the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"-screen and the previously empty icons show the correct symbol for the installed programs now. I'm happy, thanks a lot Brink!

WTenNewbie, May 25, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome WTenNewbie. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, May 25, 2016
  14. I had the same problem and your solution worked perfectly. Thank you, Brink!!

StellarPlacebo, Aug 6, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome StellarPlacebo. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Notification Area

2. Icons in Taskbar Notification Area

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons in Taskbar Notification Area: I keep having to re-enable my preferred apps in the "Select which icons appear on Taskbar notification area". Is there a fix for this? 183716
  3. Notification Area Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification Area Icons Missing: Most of the previous icons I had in my Notification Area are gone. I've tried resetting them in TaskBar Settings with no luck. Have also tried resetting Windows Explorer. Nothing works! Help!...
  4. Unwanted icons in the notification area

Unwanted icons in the notification area: Some programs insist on putting their icon in the notification tray, and then the company uses that "feature" for advertising in relentless pop up notifications. This is not an appropriate use of the notification tray, nor should have Microsoft allowed such program behavior...
  5. notification area sound icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notification area sound icon: Windows 10 on Bootcamp - Notification area sound icon does not control sound, any ideas please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-area-sound-icon/4cf1a029-4624-41fc-88d5-8f22ea492241
  6. icon in notification area

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    icon in notification area: my icon in notification area has grows legs and left it is missing . how do I get it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/icon-in-notification-area/d449855c-35f5-4971-adc1-47e795376db8
  7. Windows Defender notification area icon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender notification area icon: I like to see the Windows Defender notification area icon, so I've set my PC to show that item. However, is there a way to turn off the exclamation point item in that icon that says I haven't run a scan in a while? My last scan was 4 days ago and I don't want to be hounded to...
  8. Notification Area Icons location

Notification Area Icons location: Could not find "Notification Area Icons" in "All Control Panel Items" for Windows 10, but I could find it under Settings-System-Notifications. Is that normal for Windows 10? How can I add it in the "All Control Panel Items"? Thanks 42364
  9. Customize the Notification Area Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize the Notification Area Icons: Hi ! In Windows 7 there was a pannel to customize which icons you want to show or hide in the Notification Area. Like this : [img] Does this pannel got deleted in Windows 10 ? If yes, is there a solution to hide/show icons from the notification area ? The options...
  10. Notification area icon problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification area icon problems: Hey guys, A few days ago I started getting a pop up error message when I log in to windows. [img] Aside from this error, which from what I understand says that it is having trouble loading the icon in the notification area, I also noticed that the icons for some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset notification area windows 10