Windows 10: Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

Discus and support Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tomseys, Dec 7, 2018.

1. tomseys Win User

Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook.

I found this tutorial and used a reg file to disable compression:

Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows | Tutorials

I also right clicked the compressed folder/properties/advanced/ deselected compress contents to save disk space/ ok and this uncompressed the folder. I've noticed now that a macrium folder not in that folder is compressed.

My question is how can i tell which folder files have been compressed by windows besides just searching around? Is there an easy way to uncompress whatever it compressed in one action? Thanks.

:)

tomseys, Dec 7, 2018
  2. mamyot0 Win User

NTFS Compression of copied files

I'm experiencing an odd issue in Windows 10 that involves copying files that are compressed using the NTFS filesystem to another folder that has the compression flag set (so that when the file is
    copied, not moved, it is compressed in the destination folder).

The issue is that when the file is copied to the folder, the filesystem is not releasing the uncompressed copy of the file (as it should) after compressing. Thus, the disk is recognizing that
    double the space is needed to store the file (e.g. if the file was 500MB, the remaining capacity for the disk will be 1000MB less). In Windows 7, this behavior is not being seen (i.e. after the file is compressed, the uncompressed file is released,
    showing the correct amount of space used.)

I've experienced this on several (actually all) Windows 10 installs, so I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this.

Of course, restarting the computer seems to correct the reported free disk space remaining, but while in a session, I've had to decompress a file manually, then recompress it to have the filesystem report the correct size. The system believes that much more
    disk space is being consumed that what is really there, and it is leading to insufficient disk space errors (in testing out the problem, I made a dummy partition and copied the compressed file to it).

I would write this off as a corrupted installation, but I've seen it on good installs also. I've also reported the problem in the Windows feedback community, in case it is an actual bug.

Thanks for any help.

mamyot0, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Agi73 Win User

NTFS compression

I bought ASUS E200H: Win 10 Home; 32GB of SSD (the operating system occupies around 20GB, so only around 10GB is left for me).

After installing all the programs that I need, I had around 1GB of free space.

I was advised to perform the NTFS compression on the whole C:.

So I checked the NTFS compression fir C:, and it started to run.

As it ran, I noticed that the Windows Manager says that there is less and less free space.

When it was around 200MB, i decided to stop the process, and unchecked the compression.

The process started running again, and the free space continued decreasing, and soon reached 0 bytes.

So the question is, what should I do now?..

Should I let the compression run to the end? Or keep it decompressed - but in this case how can I regain the free space that I had before running int this procedure?.. Or possibly compress only some folders - which yes and which no?..

Thanks in advance.

Agi73, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders - Similar Threads - Ntfs file compression

2. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  3. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  6. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  7. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  8. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.: I'm posting this as an answer in the questions section because I believe that more people will see it there than in the discussions section. Recently I noticed that my icons on my desktop had a pair of blue arrows in the top right corner. This was also true for my documents...
  9. How to remove Compressed Folder Tools

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove Compressed Folder Tools: Hi guys, Just installed Bandizip, and I would like to know how to remove Windows' native 'Compressed Folder Tools' from Explorer since it's greyed out anyway: [img] Tried using the registry tweaks at Zip Folders - Enable or Disable Windows Explorer View - Windows...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Copy file compression properties

2. Windows ntfs zip file support

3. disable ntfs compression all files and folders

4. ntfs compression users folder,
  5. disable ntfs compression for a folder