Windows 10: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ariefpizzuti, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression.

While NTFS file system compression can save disk space, compressing data can adversely affect performance. NTFS compression has the following performance characteristics. When you copy or move a compressed NTFS file to a different folder, NTFS decompresses the file, copies or moves the file to the new location, and then recompresses the file. This behavior occurs even when the file is copied or moved between folders on the same computer. Compressed files are also expanded before copying over the network, so NTFS compression does not save network bandwidth.

Files or folders saved into an existing compressed folder will automatically be compressed.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable NTFS file compression for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable NTFS file compression.

*note If you disable NTFS file compression, any currently compressed files will still remain compressed. You will also still be able to uncompress any currently compressed files, but you will not be able to compress them again until NTFS compression is enabled.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression using a REG file

EXAMPLE: NTFS file compression disabled

Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Command Prompt
    *note For more fsutil behavior command usage details, see: Fsutil behavior | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Enable NTFS file compression - default)
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disablecompression 0

OR

(Disable NTFS file compression)
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disablecompression 1
    3. Close the elevated command prompt.

4. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 7/8/10 Pro, Windows 7/8/10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Filesystem\NTFS

3. In the right pane of NTFS in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Do not allow compression on all NTFS volumes policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable NTFS File Compression
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable NTFS File Compression
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies

NtfsDisableCompression DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable NTFS File Compression
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_NTFS_file_compression.reg

Download

3. To Disable NTFS File Compression
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_NTFS_file_compression.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ariefpizzuti, Nov 12, 2017
  2. BB125 Win User

Windows 10 wrongly thinks drive is full.

This problem has to do with a known Windows 10 bug. When you copy a file to a NTFS folder that has compression enabled, the drive will use twice the space required and won't relinquish that until a reboot of the drive.

Disabling data compression on the destination folder solved this issue.

BB125, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Rudolfos0 Win User
    Can't do System Restore (failed to extract the file, 0x80070301)

Still not working, I'm having the same error.

Which suggests it could be a problem with compression, but why would I need to enable NTFS compression if I had it disabled (on C: drive) and restore still worked few weeks ago. Last time I used compression all my mp3 files were damaged..

Rudolfos0, Nov 12, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

Brink, Nov 12, 2017
  5. omidsolo Win User
    Better choice is:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    What would be the difference?

omidsolo, Nov 26, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The method in the tutorial is to set this via policy instead.

Brink, Nov 26, 2017
  7. TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

1. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable NTFS

2. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  3. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior: Hello. I am a newbie here (Windows 10 Build 18363). Thanks for having me. I used to repair software and hardware issues in a Windows environment, so I am tech savvy. I have several disks, including two SSDs. Recently, I noticed my primary SSD was filling up. Every day....
  6. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  7. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  8. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  9. Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted...
  10. Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10: How to: Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .net framework enable ntfs compression

2. Windows ntfs zip file support