Windows 10: NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot

Discus and support NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a power failure, my windows 10 installation can no longer boot and results in a BSOD with an NTSF.sys error. This also appears when trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HSheaffe, Dec 30, 2018.

1. HSheaffe Win User

NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot

After a power failure, my windows 10 installation can no longer boot and results in a BSOD with an NTSF.sys error. This also appears when trying to boot into an automatic repair, and when trying to boot on the USB media I had just configured to repair/clean install Windows with. I'm not sure what to do because I can't even do a fresh install of windows.

:)

HSheaffe, Dec 30, 2018
  2. Sasqui Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

See sys specs... ASUS ROG x38 motherboard, flashed to x48 Rampage.

In BIOS under "Boot Device Priority", I select and of the 3 boot device slots, and no where do I find an option for USB, these are the only options in each:

• 1st floopy drive
    • HDD: P0-WDC WD2500KS
    • ATAPI CD-ROM
    • Disabled
    Is there a place in the BIOS to enable boot from USB?

It's AMI, says v02.61 on the BIOS screen

Sasqui, Dec 30, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot

1. NTFS.sys BSOD on HDD boot and USB media install boot - Similar Threads - NTFS sys BSOD

2. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation: Hi. I downloaded a windows 10 media installation using USB. I followed the installation instructions but it boots back to the media installation page again and again after installing it. Please help. I need to work on the laptop. Your replies will be appreciated. Thanks in...
  3. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation: Hi. I downloaded a windows 10 media installation using USB. I followed the installation instructions but it boots back to the media installation page again and again after installing it. Please help. I need to work on the laptop. Your replies will be appreciated. Thanks in...
  4. Windows keep booting into USB installation media after installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  6. booting a install media

booting a install media: when i ask the bois to boot from the usb it reads the usb then doesn't boot the install media instead it reboots by it selfthen i do the same thing nothing do you know what im doing wrong...
  7. Boot hangs with usb HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot hangs with usb HDD connected: I have a toshiba 3Tb usb hdd for backup. Like the title says the boot hangs if it's attached. I just changed machine and reinstalled windows, and it still happens. It hangs just after the blue Windows appear. It is marked INactive. The boot order in the bios is SSD...
  8. Why Sys Config Error on Boot USB?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Sys Config Error on Boot USB?: We have a computer won't boot into win10. and none of the usual fixit methods work. So we've got a bootable usb with win10 on it like they tell you to do. But when it boots from it we get the same message: system config error. Hex 1 it is when it gives a code.. That...
  9. Black Screen on boot (HDD and USB boot)

Black Screen on boot (HDD and USB boot): I'm trying to repair Packard Bell laptop with Windows 10 which is not mine (No clue what happened before this problem occurred). So, on boot, the Packard Bell logo and the loading spinner show and then it goes to "Preparing automatic repair" which lasts for 5-10 seconds and...
  10. Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.: It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about moving the EFI files around. I have been bashing my head trying to figure out why my laptop refuses to acknowledge ANY USB Media...
Tags: