Windows 10: Num Lock key on at boot

Discus and support Num Lock key on at boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some reason, my num lock is off by default. I looked up the solutions, and the ones I found said to turn it on at the login screen, then reboot. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nolan314, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Nolan314 Win User

Num Lock key on at boot

For some reason, my num lock is off by default. I looked up the solutions, and the ones I found said to turn it on at the login screen, then reboot. It remained on for the next boot, but after that, it was off again. So I tried changing the registry key under "InitialKeyboardIndicators" to "214783650", which was the other suggestion I found. Neither of these worked. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

:)

Nolan314, Aug 14, 2015

2. 10 keypad not working after upgrade to Win10

If the Num Lock key does not work, boot into the BIOS and enable Num Lock

Andre Da Costa, Aug 14, 2015
  3. cookiecon Win User
    Windows 10: Numbers Key Shuts Off

Ever since Windows 10 was downloaded on my desktop, whenever I turn on the PC my 'Num Lock' key is on, as soon as Windows 10 boots and I am ready to put in my password, the 'Num Lock' key goes off. Always have to hit it again to make it go on. Does this
    happen to anyone else?

cookiecon, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Burgurne Win User

Num Lock key on at boot

I do this:
    Win+r -> regedit.exe
    HKEY_USERS -> .DEFAULT -> Control Panel -> Keyboard -> InitialKeyboardIndicators
    Edit the value, and set it to 2
    shut down Regedit, and reboot.
    Now the numlock is on at the login screen *Smile

Burgurne, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Nolan314 Win User
    Just 2? No numbers before or after?

Nolan314, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    I can turn mine off or on in the BIOS.

7. That's where I do it from also.

alphanumeric, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Nolan314 Win User

Num Lock key on at boot

Thanks for the help. I don't know which of these fixed it, because both were as they should be. I changed the registry key, and it didn't fix it, so I checked the BIOS, and it was already where it should be, but when I exited, it worked.

Nolan314, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Might have been the reboot?

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    I had to change the InitialKeyboardsIndicators registry value. Went from 2147483648 to 214783650. (80000002 in Hex works too)

Me too. Windows then disables numlock by default on some hardware. All my other machines didn't need the registry value to be changed.

WhyMe, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Nolan314 Win User
    I've rebooted after every step, so I don't know.

Nolan314, Aug 15, 2015
  12. End result is you got what you wanted. How and why may remain a mystery?

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2015
  13. Nolan314 Win User

Num Lock key on at boot

Well this is weird. I guess it wasn't fixed. It's only working intermittently.

Nolan314, Aug 16, 2015
  14. WhyMe Win User
    This is the problem I had on my main system.

This is exactly how I fixed it:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Go to the power options via settings
    Make sure the tickbox for "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)" is UNTICKED

Then open up the registry (regedit) and go to
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2147483650

I just want to add that you had the right number earlier (ie 2) but you had to add the 2 to the original number (2147483648+2=2147483650 decimal or 80000002 in hex.

And that's it (I hope)

WhyMe, Aug 16, 2015
  15. Nolan314 Win User
    Well this is weird. I guess it wasn't fixed. It's only working intermittently.

Nolan314, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

Num Lock key on at boot

1. Num Lock key on at boot - Similar Threads - Num Lock key

2. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  3. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  4. Num keypad '-' key locks Windows.....??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num keypad '-' key locks Windows.....??: Hi all,I'm using a Logitech K470 keyboard & mouse combo German edition and found a funny quirk where every time I press the '-' key on the number pad Windows locks itself.... weird right!? I've tried using PowerToys to remap the key to no avail, and searched all over but...
  5. Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key: My Num-Lock key resets to "Off" when the computer is "Shut Down". . My password requires an ASCII character, and having the Num-Lock off while trying to enter the Windows password is a problem. It takes a few unsuccessful attempts before I remember the Num-Lock is off. ....
  6. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  7. Num lock key

Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  8. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  9. enable num lock key not working.

enable num lock key not working.: This is my second Win 10 laptop and am having a problem with the enable num lock fix. It worked like a charm on my first laptop so am not sure why It's not working this time. I tried removing it and enabling three times but for some reason, it's not working. Any...
  10. Num lock

Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221