Windows 10: Numlock defaults to off

Discus and support Numlock defaults to off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Running new Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC for but a few days I have been irritated that as it has booted I always have to switch numlock on. 100% of boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by silvertop, Sep 4, 2015.

1. silvertop Win User

Numlock defaults to off

Running new Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC for but a few days I have been irritated that as it has booted I always have to switch numlock on. 100% of boot occasions, numlock is turned off. Can anyone tell me where I can configure the machine to stop it doing this?

:)

silvertop, Sep 4, 2015
  2. LynneLyn Win User

pin number rejected after latest update

Thank you. Setting up a new pin was successful but I realized it was a 2 part problem.

After resetting PIN, I could select PIN as login option but keyboard number pad did not respond. I noticed NumLock was OFF.

To fix this, I went into to registry and told it yet again to make NumLock ON my default keyboard setting on boot up.

When I installed Windows 10 (over Window 8) NumLock defaulted to OFF.

I changed it in the registry and NumLock stayed defaulting to ON.

However, after this update, it was back again to NumLock OFF. This needs to be addressed by developers.

LynneLyn, Sep 4, 2015
  3. Bob 2023 Win User
    windows 10 password problems

Is the light supposed to be on or off when giving a password?

Bob 2023, Sep 4, 2015
  4. Numlock defaults to off

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 4, 2015
  5. silvertop Win User
    WOW that was quick. Many thanks.

silvertop, Sep 4, 2015
  6. this doesn't work when starting from a cold boot... only from a restart

icpwolverine, Sep 4, 2015
  7. Doesn't it? I'm sure it does with me. I'll have to check.

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 4, 2015
  8. Numlock defaults to off

I just checked. Numlock is on through a restart, but from a cold boot, Numlock is *not* on by default.
    IMO, not a huge deal, but there it is...Numlock defaults to off :)
    I did the reg. fix you posted earlier, BTW...

Joe

joemontana, Sep 4, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    This solution below works from a cold boot. I've used it on a large number of PCs and always works. I've used it for devices at work, home and for friends.

Num Lock key on at boot

Sometimes it is not necessary to untick (disable) fast start-up. It just appears to make this solution more universal (although I don't know why)

80000002 can also work in place of 2147483650 as it is the hexadecimal equivalent.

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Jan 27, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    This issue reappeared after the Anniversary Update and the fix at Post 8 worked.

Steve C, Aug 2, 2016
  12. mb1280 Win User
    mb1280, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Numlock defaults to off

1. Numlock defaults to off - Similar Threads - Numlock defaults off

2. Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?: When we were on Windows XP, I don't recall having to make any changes to get numlock on. Once you turned it on, it stayed on. Even through a reboot or a shutdown. I don't recall if I had to make any changes to get it to stay on in Windows 7. We never used Vista and we skipped...
  3. Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?: When we were on Windows XP, I don't recall having to make any changes to get numlock on. Once you turned it on, it stayed on. Even through a reboot or a shutdown. I don't recall if I had to make any changes to get it to stay on in Windows 7. We never used Vista and we skipped...
  4. Disable NumLock Off functionality.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable NumLock Off functionality.: I work with VMs and I sometimes press the key accidentally and find myself with my numpad becoming useless until I notice the issue and turn NumLock back on.I don't see a valid usecase for having NumLock off for anyone using a full size keyboard.Is there a way to enforce that...
  5. Disable NumLock Off functionality.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable NumLock Off functionality.: I work with VMs and I sometimes press the key accidentally and find myself with my numpad becoming useless until I notice the issue and turn NumLock back on.I don't see a valid usecase for having NumLock off for anyone using a full size keyboard.Is there a way to enforce that...
  6. Disable NumLock Off functionality.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. how do i turn numlock off

how do i turn numlock off: ive pressed fn+12 but its not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-numlock-off/2a26c8e7-d78c-4be3-9bad-6c70ca59a47b
  8. how do i turn numlock off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i turn numlock off: ive pressed fn+12 but its not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-numlock-off/2a26c8e7-d78c-4be3-9bad-6c70ca59a47b
  9. Numlock orn or off at restart is unpredictable

Numlock orn or off at restart is unpredictable: Why is the on or off of Numlock so inconsistent? Why is there a choice anyway? I have had this happen on my PCs since Windows 7 and probably before. Unlike what I read in forums, "the system will boot to the what it was at the last shutdown" my experience is different. I...
  10. NUMLOCK on or off at start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NUMLOCK on or off at start: Why doe NUMLOCK Sometimes stay on and sometimes is off when I start my computer? It seems inconsistent with both restarts and power off and bcak on. Why does Windows turn it off anyway?...