Windows 10: Numlock defaults to off

Discus and support Numlock defaults to off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Running new Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC for but a few days I have been irritated that as it has booted I always have to switch numlock on. 100% of boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by silvertop, Sep 4, 2015.

1. silvertop Win User

Numlock defaults to off

Running new Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC for but a few days I have been irritated that as it has booted I always have to switch numlock on. 100% of boot occasions, numlock is turned off. Can anyone tell me where I can configure the machine to stop it doing this?

:)

silvertop, Sep 4, 2015
  2. LynneLyn Win User

pin number rejected after latest update

Thank you. Setting up a new pin was successful but I realized it was a 2 part problem.

After resetting PIN, I could select PIN as login option but keyboard number pad did not respond. I noticed NumLock was OFF.

To fix this, I went into to registry and told it yet again to make NumLock ON my default keyboard setting on boot up.

When I installed Windows 10 (over Window 8) NumLock defaulted to OFF.

I changed it in the registry and NumLock stayed defaulting to ON.

However, after this update, it was back again to NumLock OFF. This needs to be addressed by developers.

LynneLyn, Sep 4, 2015
  3. Bob 2023 Win User
    windows 10 password problems

Is the light supposed to be on or off when giving a password?

Bob 2023, Sep 4, 2015
  4. Numlock defaults to off

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 4, 2015
  5. silvertop Win User
    WOW that was quick. Many thanks.

silvertop, Sep 4, 2015
  6. this doesn't work when starting from a cold boot... only from a restart

icpwolverine, Sep 4, 2015
  7. Doesn't it? I'm sure it does with me. I'll have to check.

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 4, 2015
  8. Numlock defaults to off

I just checked. Numlock is on through a restart, but from a cold boot, Numlock is *not* on by default.
    IMO, not a huge deal, but there it is...Numlock defaults to off :)
    I did the reg. fix you posted earlier, BTW...

Joe

joemontana, Sep 4, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    This solution below works from a cold boot. I've used it on a large number of PCs and always works. I've used it for devices at work, home and for friends.

Num Lock key on at boot

Sometimes it is not necessary to untick (disable) fast start-up. It just appears to make this solution more universal (although I don't know why)

80000002 can also work in place of 2147483650 as it is the hexadecimal equivalent.

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Jan 27, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    This issue reappeared after the Anniversary Update and the fix at Post 8 worked.

Steve C, Aug 2, 2016
  12. mb1280 Win User
    mb1280, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Numlock defaults to off

1. Numlock defaults to off - Similar Threads - Numlock defaults off

2. Numlock goes off randomly when working in Excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Numlock goes off randomly when working in Excel: Numlock goes off randomly when working in Excel, I have to manually re-enable it everytime it goes off. It happens 2-3 times a day. I tried to modify the registry HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard and to change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2. I also...
  3. How to Tell if NumLock/CapsLock is ON/OFF if PC has no Indicator Light

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Tell if NumLock/CapsLock is ON/OFF if PC has no Indicator Light: After a lot of searches, it's apparent that many manufacturers have taken away the indicator light for CapsLock/NumLock. How lovely. Today, I found a free third-party tool that works great. TrayStatus will put the little display icons back on the screen for you. Yes, I...
  4. NumLock on Signin

NumLock on Signin: How do you make it so that NumLock is always on at Signin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numlock-on-signin/a0729f4d-65a8-4dcf-9886-3b742b3177ef
  5. numlock icon

numlock icon: why does the numlock icon not show up when I turn on numlock https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numlock-icon/09828917-296e-4a62-ab7d-0905914e0d22
  6. NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer

NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer: Running this '.reg' file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,45,00,00,00,00,00 disables NumLock so that accidentally pressing the NumLock...
  7. Numlock is disabled in Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Numlock is disabled in Windows: Hi, Yesterday my Windows was updated and since then the numlock is totally disabled in Windows. I can't use it, can't turn it on by pressing it or anything else. It turns on when I turn the PC on and the light is on, but then when Windows starts up it just turns off...
  8. Turn off numlock for laptop keyboard ONLY

Turn off numlock for laptop keyboard ONLY: Recently, I bought a numpad keyboard extension for my laptop for ease of data entry. However, I forgot that activating the numlock means the laptop numpad is activated as well. Is there any way to turn on the numlock only for the extension or disable the numlock function...
  9. Delay NumLock Toggle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delay NumLock Toggle: Anyone know of a 'gadget' that will let me set a delay before the NumLock key toggles - I have something for CapsLock, but it doesn't have it for NumLock, see this thread (posts 2 to 6) ==>> Toggle Keys Tone - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums tia - 45442
  10. Keyboard NUMLOCK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard NUMLOCK: Just reloaded Windows 10 and I can't keep the NUMLOCK on. I have tried many suggestions. I have looked at the registry and it shows on and the bio shows it is on. Any suggestions? 97735