Windows 10: Occasional BSOD - Only Mssense.exe Dump Files written

Discus and support Occasional BSOD - Only Mssense.exe Dump Files written in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For months now, I've had occasional BSOD's. Initially they were due to a critical process dying. I have cured most of those by re-formatting the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BobL, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BobL Win User

Occasional BSOD - Only Mssense.exe Dump Files written

For months now, I've had occasional BSOD's. Initially they were due to a critical process dying. I have cured most of those by re-formatting the system drive, re-installing Win 10, and turning off Win Defender and Malwarebytes (using Bitdefender). Malewarebytes, Hitman and Bitdefender find now malware on my system. Now I get a BSOD once every day or so with nothing written to my dump folder. However, I see dump files being written to another folder with names like "MsSense.exe.2688.protected.dmp" that my WhoCrashed and Win SDK crash dump can't read. Event viewer shows 1 to 3 of these files being written at each occurrence. These BSOD's typically happen when I leave my computer running unattended for an hour or so. I will either find it has rebooted or get the BSOD when I sit down again and move the mouse. My system event logs show a number of errors on booting which I cannot understand. Hopefully someone with more smarts can help me.

:)

BobL, Sep 7, 2017

2. BSOD - KMODE Exception Not Handled

No dump files? Did you manage to see what driver failed?(Written on the BSOD screen).

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 7, 2017
  3. ResnickRE Win User
    UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD appears randomly

Occasionally when using the computer, it freezes, then the BSOD appears with the UEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION or the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED message. My computer also did not produce any dump files from the crash.

ResnickRE, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Spectrum Win User

Does the following file exist: "C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp"? If so, and if it was created recently, please compress it and upload it to a file sharing site so we can take a look at it.

From the event logs I am seeing some disk and controller errors, I'd suggest testing your disks with HDTune as well as updating the chipset drivers for your system.

Here are some examples of the errors in the event log.
    Code: Event[2522]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-08-17T16:08:59.955 Event ID: 153 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The IO operation at logical block address 0x5b974890 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\00000042) was retried.[/quote] Disk 3 is your Seagate 4TB drive.

Code: Event[848]: Log Name: System Source: storahci Date: 2017-08-09T18:05:22.592 Event ID: 129 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.[/quote]
    Regarding the crash dumps you did upload, MSSense.exe.<PID>.protected.dmp are crash dumps of Windows Defender, the "protected" comes from the fact that Windows Defender processes run as Protected Processes (Light). This also means that the crash dumps are encrypted and cannot be opened by 3rd parties.

Spectrum, Sep 7, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    In addition to the above steps outlined by Spectrum above please perform these steps:

1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

4) chkdsk /x /f /r
    This may take many hours so plan to run overnight.
    5) Open event.vwr to view the chkdsk results and post the results into the thread:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

6) Uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia graphics driver: nvlddmkm.sys

The best way to fix the misbehaving Nvidia driver is to uninstall everything Nvidia using Display driver uninstaller and install new drivers from the computer manufacturer's website or from the Nvidia website.

The computer manufacturer's web site is preferred. Enter the computer's serial or product number and the operating system to view available drivers.

If you use the Nvidia web site be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the graphics driver and the physx driver.

Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.7.2

Display Driver Uninstaller: How to use - Windows 7 Help Forums

NVIDIA

Code: 9/6/2017 12:23 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Kepler_3D, type 0 Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Response: Not available Cab Id: 9a0b0327-5d97-4f6d-9bed-70ff00dad755 Problem signature: P1: 141 P2: ffffb00b854d44a0 P3: fffff809d1fdf44c P4: 0 P5: 1a38 P6: 10_0_15063 P7: 0_0 P8: 256_1 P9: P10: Attached files: \\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20170905-2023.dmp \\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WER-5754875-0.sysdata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERDEDF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERDEDF.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERDEFF.tmp.txt \\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WER13D.tmp.WERDataCollectionStatus.txt These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_a0a972ad907729332653f1939e59dfdda626c6_00000000_cab_26e002d2 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: dbda1c99-797b-4749-9386-3a5f36383d76 Report Status: 268435456 Hashed bucket:[/quote]

zbook, Sep 8, 2017
  6. BobL Win User
    Spectrumand zbook, thanks to both of you for the help.
    Spectrum,"C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp"doesn't exist. I set Windows to dump to "C:\Windows\Mini.dmp"and it does if I get a BSOD for something like a critical process has died.

Spectrum's keen eye finding the " The IO operation at logical block address 0x5b974890 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\00000042) was retried. " error caused me to Google it for a solution. The fix is at http://www.pwrusr.com/system-adminis...sk-was-retried I ran the command "“bcdedit /set disabledynamicktick yes” as recommended there and rebooted. My computer has run for over 24 hours straight with no problem. I think the problem is fixed. THANK YOU SPECTRUM!

BobL, Sep 9, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    We have not yet been able to debug the minidump and memory.dmp files to troubleshot the BSOD as the minidump were encrypted.

1) in the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > in the left pane click advanced system settings > click on startup and recovery settings > post an image into the thread

2) See what you can do to modify the encrypting > post a new DM log collector zip > so that we can debug and throubleshoot the mini dump files

3) open file explorer > this pc > local c: drive > in the right upper corner search type: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    Please post an image of the results.

4) Download and install whocrashed
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
    Above analyze click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPT >
    After the crash dump test click analyze > post the results into the thread
    Post a new zip: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    When the DM log collector finds the mini dump logs please allow it to collect so that the mini dumps are not encrypted and will allow us to troubleshoot them.

5) When available please post the results from post #3.

zbook, Sep 9, 2017
  8. BobL Win User

zbook,

I've attached a jpg of my Start Up and Recovery pane. I've set memory dumps to go to the folder "Minidumps" in my Windows directory. Normal crash dumps usually show up there. The Mssense.exe dumps do not. I copied some of the Mssense.exe dumps there previously to see if WhoCrashed could read them. It can't. Windows SDK crash dump can't read them either. The Mssense.exe dumps are encrypted as I learned and Spectrum noted. Apparently they get sent to Microsoft so they can see what they screwed up without letting anyone else know. *Tongue

Anyway, as I noted in a prior response that must have crossed with yours, the crash problem is fixed. I've been running for 48 hours now with no problems. My start up is around 30 seconds with a few errors showing in event logs, but nothing that seems to be causing any symptoms.

Thanks again for your help.

9. zbook New Member
    Which steps were you able to complete in posts #3 and what were the results?

Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Which antivirus products are always on?
    Bitdefender
    Windows defender
    Malwarebytes

Please check to see which are currently on and off.

When the encryption is off it may be easier to troubleshoot other problems displayed in the event logs:

Code: Event[7415]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-09-08T10:26:50.640 Event ID: 7034 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s).[/quote] Code: Event[7414]: Log Name: System Source: Application Popup Date: 2017-09-08T10:26:50.330 Event ID: 26 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Jupiter Description: Application popup: Windows - Bad Image : Exception Processing Message 0xc000007b Parameters 0x7ffb8c551718 0xffffffffc0000428 0x7ffb8c551718 0x7ffb8c551718[/quote] Code: Event[7403]: Log Name: System Source: Application Popup Date: 2017-09-08T10:24:47.945 Event ID: 26 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Jupiter Description: Application popup: Windows - Bad Image : Exception Processing Message 0xc000007b Parameters 0x7ffb8c551718 0xffffffffc0000428 0x7ffb8c551718 0x7ffb8c551718 Event[7404]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-09-08T10:24:48.745 Event ID: 7034 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).[/quote]
    Code: bdprivmon bdprivmon bdprivmon File System Boot Stopped OK FALSE FALSE 4,096 8,192 0 5/9/2017 8:59:18 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\bdprivmon.sys[/quote] Code: Event[7398]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-09-08T10:24:45.528 Event ID: 7026 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load: bdprivmon dam EhStorClass[/quote] Code: Event[7386]: Log Name: System Source: BTHUSB Date: 2017-09-08T10:24:43.531 Event ID: 34 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.[/quote]
    Code: Event[7385]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Directory-Services-SAM Date: 2017-09-08T10:24:43.435 Event ID: 16962 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Jupiter Description: Remote calls to the SAM database are being restricted using the default security descriptor: O:SYG:SYDOccasional BSOD - Only Mssense.exe Dump Files written :(A;;RC;;;BA). For more information please see MSN France: Hotmail, Outlook, actualités, météo, divertissement Code: Event[7326]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-09-07T22:06:16.815 Event ID: 7034 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Jupiter Description: The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s).[/quote] Code: Event[7323]: Log Name: System Source: Application Popup Date: 2017-09-07T22:05:14.486 Event ID: 26 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Jupiter Description: Application popup: Windows - Bad Image : Exception Processing Message 0xc000007b Parameters 0x7ffd58921718 0xffffffffc0000428 0x7ffd58921718 0x7ffd58921718[/quote]

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Occasional BSOD - Only Mssense.exe Dump Files written - Similar Threads - Occasional BSOD Mssense

2. BSOD dump files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD dump files: Hi - if someone could help me analyze these files to figure out why I keep getting a BSOD reference by pointer error message in Windows 10 I'd appreciate it!https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao3bfbYL13ljhwe1mgnjgycogs1R?e=oWYfrx...
  3. BSOD dump files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD dump files: Hi - if someone could help me analyze these files to figure out why I keep getting a BSOD reference by pointer error message in Windows 10 I'd appreciate it!https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao3bfbYL13ljhwe1mgnjgycogs1R?e=oWYfrx...
  4. BSOD dump files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. BSOD Dump File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Dump File: Hey everyone,Would someone be able to assist me and look into some DMP files and see if they can show me why PC keeps randomly crashing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-dump-file/3b1cbd30-82fa-49fd-8a21-a08b0cfa8e1b
  6. BSOD Dump File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Dump File: Hey everyone,Would someone be able to assist me and look into some DMP files and see if they can show me why PC keeps randomly crashing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-dump-file/3b1cbd30-82fa-49fd-8a21-a08b0cfa8e1b
  7. BSOD Dump File

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. BSOD Dump Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSOD Dump Files: I recently installed a new AIO cooler on my pc. Quickly after my pc started having multiple BSOD, to the point where it won’t stay in windows for more than 3 minutes before it blue screens again. I got the dump files but don’t know what they quite mean. I would love some help...
  9. BSOD DUMP FILE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD DUMP FILE: I recently reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 10 because I had been getting randong BSODs before and it did not hapen for quite a while after the reinstall but just earlier it crashed because of another bugcheck. Any help will do and here's the link for the minidup:...
  10. BSoD Dump Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD Dump Files: Hi, I have attached my Dump files and System Info. Hoping you can help tracking down what is causing this recurring problem. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HjRsKQaxEq4nlBZrg1qRhT3aK3kr-Zvl Thanks...