Windows 10: OK to delete windows.old folder?

Discus and support OK to delete windows.old folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm in the Windows Insider program and have updated Windows 10 several times now. Each time, creating a windows.old folder. Do I need to keep these,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmshipon, Jun 9, 2016.

1. mmshipon Win User

OK to delete windows.old folder?

I'm in the Windows Insider program and have updated Windows 10 several times now. Each time, creating a windows.old folder. Do I need to keep these, and if not, what's the best way of deleting them? This is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks!

:)

mmshipon, Jun 9, 2016

2. Is it safe to delete the Windows.old folder

Your welcome. As turns out I wanted to do this for one of my machines too, so I just did it.

And even though it removed all the files it left a couple of folders.

So I ended up having to changed the permissions and then manually delete them.

Right click on Windows.old -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced

Change after the Owner, type in your username, -> Check Names -> OK

Select Replace owner on subcontainers and objects -> OK -> OK

Right click on Windows.old -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced

Select Replace all child object permission entries .... -> OK -> OK

Now you should be able to delete Windows.old.

A_User_Here, Jun 9, 2016
  3. How to delete the windows.old folders

I found a source. The old windows.old folders can not be deleted easily. But the empty windows.old folders can easily be deleted by using a Software tool "Puran Delete Empty Folders".

Thanks for all who suggested me to delete the windows.old folders from C.Drive.

SudhakarPaladugu, Jun 9, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Not a dumb question at all.

You can remove it, my advice on doing so has been listed in the forums though.

In short, do a disk cleanup:

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

Works in 10 though written for 7.

RWOne, Jun 9, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    First and foremost, I would suggest that you extract the esd file from the Insider build and create an iso file for the purpose of reinstall or clean install of the same build.
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

As to you questions :

1. If you are satisfied with the build and have no intention of going back to previous build, the answer is yes. Go ahead and delete it. It will give you back tons of disk space too.

2. Most members will tell you using the built-in Disk Clean application to delete the Windows.old.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

I use CCleaner to do the same job.
    The choice is yours, whichever you feel more comfortable.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  6. mmshipon Win User
    Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

mmshipon, Jun 9, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  8. TechTown Win User

Its Ok to delete windows old and here i have video how to:
    [youtube]uWBjeuBaol0[/youtube]

TechTown, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. OK to delete windows.old folder? - Similar Threads - delete old folder

2. Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder?: Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder? Folder size 300gb+Windows server 2019 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-ok-to-delete-the-windows-defender-definition/502ebe27-50ab-4c50-8e8a-19b22a283717
  3. Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder?: Is it ok to delete the windows defender definition update folder? Folder size 300gb+Windows server 2019 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-ok-to-delete-the-windows-defender-definition/502ebe27-50ab-4c50-8e8a-19b22a283717
  4. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted: I had two administrator accounts once and i deleted one of them but when i went into my user folder the administartor user folder the account i deleted was still there and i'm not sure to delete it or not. all I need is a yes or no....
  5. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted: I had two administrator accounts once and i deleted one of them but when i went into my user folder the administartor user folder the account i deleted was still there and i'm not sure to delete it or not. all I need is a yes or no....
  6. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Old Windows folder delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  8. Cant delete windows old folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant delete windows old folder: I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October...
  9. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791
  10. Is it ok to delete or uninstall a SkyDrive folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it ok to delete or uninstall a SkyDrive folder?: My brother's computer has been upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1 back in April and runs fine. There is a SkyDrive folder which he has never used. Is it ok to delete it or uninstall it? 58966