Windows 10: OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

Discus and support OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KiwiNFLFan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for dragging files to OneDrive is Move, not Copy. Is there any way that changes the default action to Copy?

:)

KiwiNFLFan, Jan 6, 2019
  2. Edward W Win User
    Edward W, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Nigel_MCG Win User
    Change default file drag-and-drop action to Copy rather than Move

Hi,

I've jumped in here because I have the same issue.

Default, between different drive letters, for drag and drop has always been Copy, why would this be changed and for what reason?

When making a copy of random files on my system to an external drive, to take on the road, I usually just drag and drop them to make a copy. The default now is Move.

To answer your questions (I'm assuming a reply on this forum is how you want us to write to you)

1: When dragging it shows Move or Copy randomly, with no logic to why

2: Not specific to any folder/file or file type

It appears that if you use right mouse button to drag and choose Copy, the next drag in the same logged in session will default to Copy... this is strange behaviour and forces users to use right mouse button drag to be sure what result will be achieved.

Any info to help us set a default result would be appreciated.

Nigel_MCG, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Nigel_MCG Win User

OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

Change default file drag-and-drop action to Copy rather than Move

Hi Pranav,

This is a follow up from almost 2 weeks ago... do we have an answer from Microsoft as to when we can expect a fix for this problem? You have received several scenarios for what happens during drag and drop actions.

It wouldn't be so bad if the default had changed to an expected action, but for the result to be random gives us no confidence in the Drag and Drop method of file management.

I'm assuming as a Microsoft Forum Moderator and Support Engineer you would be better placed than most to provide a timely answer. This is the reason for using the Microsoft Support Community.

Any answer, even if it's not a fix, is better than ignoring the requests from your users.

Nigel_MCG, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

1. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy? - Similar Threads - OneDrive drag drop

2. Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?: When I want to move a file elsewhere such as from hard drive to flash drive, I click "Send to" and click the destination without any problem. It appears at the destination, but it is also still there at the source as if it merely copied instead and being dragged. Also if I...
  3. Drag & Drop files between drives defaults to Copy, but not with OneDrive. How do I get it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag & Drop files between drives defaults to Copy, but not with OneDrive. How do I get it...: If I drag & drop between drives the default is always Copy, but if the destination drive drop target is OneDrive it defaults to Move.a Why does OneDrive behave differently than any other drive for such a basic behavior?b How can I get OneDrive to behave like any other drive...
  4. Drag & Drop files between drives defaults to Copy, but not with OneDrive. How do I get it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag & Drop files between drives defaults to Copy, but not with OneDrive. How do I get it...: If I drag & drop between drives the default is always Copy, but if the destination drive drop target is OneDrive it defaults to Move.a Why does OneDrive behave differently than any other drive for such a basic behavior?b How can I get OneDrive to behave like any other drive...
  5. Drag & Drop files between drives defaults to Copy, but not with OneDrive. How do I get it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?: I don't want to have to hold a button each time I do it. It's difficult to remember and I just want to move things, not create new copies of them. submitted by /u/Zoofyooo [link] [comments]...
  7. Drag and drop chnged default action

Drag and drop chnged default action: Hi there, I am not sure what has happened recently but normally when I drag and drop a file or folder, it will MOVE when on the same drive and COPY when dropping onto a different drive. For whatever reason all actions have now defaulted to COPY when dropping, regardless of...
  8. Default drag and drop action with Onedrive

Default drag and drop action with Onedrive: We are using a common Onedrive for storing and sharing files within a team. It is basically neat when using Windows 10 file explorer, since you can just drag and drop files like between local drives and folders. However, the default behaviour of drag and drop with Onedrive is...
  9. OneDrive: drag and drop copies only dir and not their content

OneDrive: drag and drop copies only dir and not their content: I have physically copied some directories into OneDrive with drag and drop from my machine. However, only the main directories are actually searched, not the subdirectories or the files they contain. How can we solve the problem? Thank you sa...
  10. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive drag and drop functionality

2. cant drag files in onedrive

3. one drive drag and drop

4. can you drag and drop from one drive to another one drive,
  5. can only drag and drop in classic view onedrive,
  6. onedriver cannot drag and drop ,
  7. how to drag and drop files from onedrive,
  8. when you click and drag a file does one drive copy the file,
  9. can not drag and drop in onedrive,
  10. can i drag a folder with the same name over one in onedrive,
  11. disable drag and drop option onedrive,