Windows 10: PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch

Discus and support PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi people, Lately I've been having a major issue with my PC, it completely freezes while playing games like Rocket League and Overwatch. My PC just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by toar4ever, Aug 18, 2016.

1. toar4ever Win User

PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch

Hi people,

Lately I've been having a major issue with my PC, it completely freezes while playing games like Rocket League and Overwatch. My PC just completely freezes and the audio also hangs. The only way to reboot my PC is to turn it off, wait 10-15 seconds and boot it up again.

Full PC Setup:

• GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz
    • Motherboard: Sapphire PureBlack X58

The strange thing then is: My GPU driver sometimes also completely disappears. I'm left with a 640x480 display and have to install a driver again, unless I reboot and then the old driver re-appears.

A list of things I've done:
    • Checked OpenHardwareMonitor to see temperatures, they are nothing out of the ordinary
    • Installed multiple different versions of nVidia GPU drivers (most recent ones, a few from half year back)
    • Clean installed those drivers as well, using Display Driver Uninstaller
    • Cleanly installed Windows 10 Pro because I read some stuff about problems with the Anniversary Update (AU).
    • Stress tested CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD all for at least 20 minutes, none of which caused me to crash

In the Event Viewer it shows an Event 17 WHEA-Logger:
    None of my freezes created a BSOD and didn't create a dump, until today after 2 freezes in the afternoon that created 2 dump files. I've provided the logzip in the attached files which should contain all the needed files.
    If anyone has any suggestions to what it could be that would be highly appreciated!

Edit 1: Updated Windows 10 to Build 1607 and reuploaded a new zip file
    Attachment 96945

Kind regards,

:)

toar4ever, Aug 18, 2016

2. Xbox play anywhere

I am trying to get this post big enough that Microsoft will agree to put rocket league and overwatch on play anywhere.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

ThePhoenixRider, Aug 18, 2016
  3. anusuyak Win User
    Rocket League

I recently bought rocket league. So, I found out that rocket league was only for my Xbox 1, and was not playable for my computer. I really just wanted to play it on my pc. I am requesting for a refund please, as I cannot play it.

Thanks,

Anusuya

anusuyak, Aug 18, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi toar4ever,

We'll need you to update at least to the 1511 version of Windows 10.
    You can download the ISO from my OneDrive *Smile

5. toar4ever Win User
    Oops! Didn't think about that, I tried the clean Windows 10 because I only started having issues after I updated to the Anniversary Update, I'll update and check if the issue is still there and I'll reply later! Thanks for the fast reply!

toar4ever, Aug 18, 2016
  6. toar4ever Win User
    Soooo, I've updated Windows 10 to build 1607. Tried out Overwatch again, PC froze after 4 minutes without a BSOD. It did however again make a dump file and I've updated the zip file in the Original Post to the latest version.

toar4ever, Aug 18, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    Oops, forgot that if you do the upgrade online you get the latest version *Redface

I assume it only happens while you play those 2 games? Not with any other game or any other pc activity?

8. toar4ever Win User

It happens in nearly every game I try to play, if I just normally use my PC for browsing/watching movies or whatever I can use it just fine for entire days. It seems to happen only if I try to play a game. Using programs like HeavyLoad and FurMark for 30 minutes won't result in my PC freezing, but running a game like Rocket League, Overwatch or DOTA2 will cause me to freeze within 5 minutes or so. Rocket League is on my SSD, Overwatch and DOTA2 are on another HDD so the issue probably isn't disk related either.

toar4ever, Aug 18, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
  10. toar4ever Win User
    I've uninstalled the nVidia Graphics Driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), I then used the latest nVidia WHQL driver 372.54 and only installed the Graphics Driver + PhysX driver (normally I also install the GeForce Experience, I never install the HD Audio driver). And after about 3/4 minutes of Overwatch my PC froze again and created a dmp file with the exact same error as before.

toar4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    Let's try something, the device ID reveals nothing but the vendor ID does.

Please check Sapphire for driver updates for the 'Intel ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller'.
    Please remove all USB devices that aren't necessary for basic pc usage, thus all USB devices except for mouse & keyboard.

Also check for BIOS updates.

12. toar4ever Win User
    I've installed every Sapphire PureBlack X58 driver that was available and possible, removed everything except my Mouse and Keyboard, and I still freeze after 4 minutes or so. I then tried other USB ports as well to make sure it isn't a specific power issue or anything with a specific USB port on my PC but still froze again after the same amount of time. I still don't really get a BSOD (but that might be because of some current settings in Windows 10? not sure) but it does create a .dmp file. I've attached a screenshot of BlueScreenView of the most recent one. (I can't somehow upload the actual .dmp file even though I'm administrator on the PC).
    Attachment 97134

As for BIOS updates, I checked my version number in the BIOS itself, and there's no newer version available since that version so I should be up to date on that.

toar4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

To correct your statement, a system freeze cannot create a dump. It isn't a system crash that Windows can catch, the same is with shutdown/restart crashes. A BSOD crash is caught by Windows due to corruption or violation of something what doesn't (yet) cause the other system crashes to occur.

Dump files cannot be accessed in their original location, you need to copy them to a different location to access them.

IMHO, this 0x124 is a bit odd. The device ID doesn't return in the files so I'm wondering what it is related to.

14. toar4ever Win User
    Ran multiple 3D Mark Benchmarks tests, didn't get any freezing at all, but started Overwatch/DOTA/Rocket League and I freeze within a few minutes. Really strange that something that uses way more load like 3D Mark doesn't freeze my PC :S

toar4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Lets see if driver verifier can catch the drivers of this device ID that is causing the trouble *Smile

PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

Thema:

1. PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch - Similar Threads - Freeze while playing

2. Internet disconnects while playing Rocket League

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet disconnects while playing Rocket League: I keep getting brief internet disconnects only while playing Rocket League. Currently am running 4 computers off a 500 up/down connection all hardwired . While playing Rocket League on my main PC, the PC loses internet windows loses internet for the entire PC. It is very odd...
  3. Internet disconnects while playing Rocket League

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet disconnects while playing Rocket League: I keep getting brief internet disconnects only while playing Rocket League. Currently am running 4 computers off a 500 up/down connection all hardwired . While playing Rocket League on my main PC, the PC loses internet windows loses internet for the entire PC. It is very odd...
  4. why does my internet crash while playing rocket league

why does my internet crash while playing rocket league: while playing rocket league i will sometimes type in the in-game chat and immediately my internet drops. is there a reason for that? it will happen sometimes on its own every now and then but i noticed i mostly happens while typing something in-game....
  5. I still can't play rocket league :

I still can't play rocket league :: I really need help with my game rocket league, I have the latest drivers for AMD on Windows 11, also the latest version & I tried to play on Steam but it doesn't work, then I tried this following options: 1. Verify the integrity files.2. Uninstall & install it again.3. Run...
  6. Rocket League freezing or crashing on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Rocket League freezing or crashing on Windows PC: [IMG]Rocket League is a popular game! Reportedly, the game is not working for some on their Windows 11/10 computers. If Rocket League is freezing or crashing on your computer, then follow the solutions mentioned here to resolve the issue. Why is Rocket League freezing and...
  7. BSOD while playing Rocket League

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while playing Rocket League: Hello. I had a BSOD while I was playing Rocket League: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I also had Discord opened with a stream. I suspect that maybe it's something with the cpu driver, but I am not sure. Can you guys help me interpret this dump file? Thank you. Microsoft R...
  8. PC Completely Freezes while playing Rocket League only

PC Completely Freezes while playing Rocket League only: There was a very similar post about this issue, however my issue looks different as I wasn't able to solve it. Here is that post: PC Freeze while playing Rocket League/Overwatch Solved - Windows 10 Forums I followed some of the instructions there, ran the Driver Verifier, I...
  9. BSOD playing Rocket League, ARK

BSOD playing Rocket League, ARK: Hello everyone, I've been facing some issues while playing games for a while and now it is becoming more often. Sometimes when I was playing Rocket League or Albion Online, the entire computer did freeze and I had to force reboot, this was not so frequent and it was...
  10. BSOD playing League of Legends / Overwatch

BSOD playing League of Legends / Overwatch: I keep getting blue screens and I did my own basic research on the errors and have had no luck. If I could get some help on this it would be much appreciated. 62318