Windows 10: PC turning itself on from hibernation

Discus and support PC turning itself on from hibernation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My pc has recently decided to start turning itself on in the middle of the night, while its supposed to be hibernating (I'm not sure yet if it is also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mauvai, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Mauvai Win User

PC turning itself on from hibernation

My pc has recently decided to start turning itself on in the middle of the night, while its supposed to be hibernating (I'm not sure yet if it is also affected during a normal shut-down). I also haven't managed to lock down the exact time (if there is one) that this happens.

From some digging I did, some people seemed to think that the task scheduler was doing things by itself. I identified two task that looked like they might fit the criteria (below) - are either of these likely to be causing the spontaneous turn-ons, and what's the safest way to resolve this?

https://i.imgur.com/zKLi3Ya.png?1
    https://i.imgur.com/lUw7bLV.png?1

:)

Mauvai, Sep 12, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Windows 10 Updates

Let it go to sleep mode it will wake and do it.

Let it go into hibernate mode, if newer it will wake and do it.

Why not just restart the PC and let it start doing the update before or when you go to bed. It can do it and turn itself off with sleep 30 minutes later then it will automatically hibernate(power off) 3 hrs after.

Newer pc's can wake at 3am, older pc's will not wake from hibernate & the next time you turn it on it will do the update.

'Mike P, Sep 12, 2015
  3. DAVEMAL Win User
    pc wakes up itself

Since my windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 my pc wakes up by itself after a minute in hibernate mode.

DAVEMAL, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Willgf89 Win User

Could you accidentally be pressing a k or moving the mouse ? This wakes my machine up

Willgf89, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Mauvai Win User
    Definitely not, it happens while I'm asleep on my desk

Mauvai, Sep 12, 2015
  6. davexnet Win User
    Have you tried disabling "allow wake timers" in the power settings ?
    (change advanced power settings/sleep)

davexnet, Sep 12, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    And why would you sleep on your desk? I would find that most uncomfortable. I like to sleep in a bed with someone special next to me *Biggrin

Also, in addition to the earlier suggestion, check to see how you have configured to be woken eg options such as wake on LAN etc

WhyMe, Sep 12, 2015
  8. DavidE Win User

DavidE, Sep 12, 2015
  9. Mauvai Win User
    Thank you! Hopefully that will fix it *Smile

Mauvai, Sep 13, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    Usually when you are Hibernated you stay in an effective "Off" state. The only way it would wake is if you have any "Wake on Lan" (WAOL) happening- But I thought you're system had to be in "sleep" mode for that to happen? I've never heard of it happening if a machine is hibernated. And you're sure it was hibernated, not just in sleep mode? Because sometimes certain makes of MB's or Store Bought systems are stubborn about actually GOING into Hibernation, I always set Hibernation in the Advanced Power Settings, as the main function of the physical power button- And I set a secondary button to the Windows Start Button.

XweAponX, Sep 13, 2015
  11. Mauvai Win User
    This is definitely happening from hibernate, and it is fully in hibernate, not some silly sleep mode (fan, battery, everything goes off, zero power consumption). I need to leave it a few more nights to see if its resolved. Its also almost certainly something to do with the Win 10 update, was never a problem on win 7.

Mauvai, Sep 14, 2015
  12. DavidE Win User
    I'm curious, is your issue resolved ?

DavidE, Sep 18, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

I had the same issue with a Windows 7 machine, there was something scheduled and it would keep waking the machine to do it. So it has to be something to do with Updates. Check the tutorials on how to set WU to "Notify Only"

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
  14. Mauvai Win User
    @DavidE: It hasnt happened for a week so i presume so (thread marked as solved to reflect).

@XweAponX: WU in win10 cannot be set to notify only. Its settings range from "downright stupid" to "you don't actually own this PC any more".

Mauvai, Sep 19, 2015
  15. XweAponX Win User
    Well you can't set it from within settings, you have to use Group Policy Editor. But you can only use that in Pro Systems. (Edit) but I feel your frustration.

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. PC turning itself on from hibernation - Similar Threads - turning itself hibernation

2. Windows 11 Turn On PC by Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Turn On PC by Itself: I have just fresh installed Windows 11 on my PC several weeks back. It's frustrating that somehow Windows 11 always turn on my PC at 12:00 AM every day. I've followed many advise on how disable this, including:1. Turn off fast boot in BIOS2. Disable the "allow wake computer"...
  3. Windows 11 Turn On PC by Itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Turn On PC by Itself: I have just fresh installed Windows 11 on my PC several weeks back. It's frustrating that somehow Windows 11 always turn on my PC at 12:00 AM every day. I've followed many advise on how disable this, including:1. Turn off fast boot in BIOS2. Disable the "allow wake computer"...
  4. Sleeping mode - PC turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleeping mode - PC turns on by itself: Some times it turns on immediately and some times it takes some hours after I select sleep mode. I already disabled "Allow wake timers" in Advanced settings / Power Opitions and saw a couple ways to fix this problem which involves the command "powercfg -lastwake" in the cmd...
  5. Pc turning on after hibernation problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc turning on after hibernation problem: Hello everyone. I have a weird problem with my pc, after it goes into hibernation, waking it up doesn't always work. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes quite often nowadays it won't turn on fully, all leds turn on, fans ramp up but there is no video output, and the...
  6. Hibernating turns the PC off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernating turns the PC off: Whenever I hibernate the computer, it ends up doing a fresh restart when boot the system. Any ideas why this might be happening? submitted by /u/thunderbong [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kizla2/hibernating_turns_the_pc_off/
  7. Computer turns on by itself in hibernation Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns on by itself in hibernation Windows 10: so, i know for sure i put my laptop in hibernation. I set up my power button so when pressed, it hibernates (when i googled hibernate vs sleep) Hibernate. Hibernate mode is very similar to sleep, but instead of saving your open documents and running applications to your RAM,...
  8. Computer wakes from hibernation by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes from hibernation by itself: It is happening around 6:00 AM every morning. Oddly it does not seem to be the exact same time. I have seemingly tried every obvious solution. 105084
  9. PC turns itself on after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    PC turns itself on after shutdown: Around the time when I first setup automatic shutdown in Windows Scheduler (or what it's called in English), my PC has started turning itself back on again after shutdown in the evening. I've tried disabling the scheduled shutdown but it made no difference, and I'm not sure...
  10. Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation: My desktop machine keeps waking itself up from hibernation, usually during the night, despite my having taken all reasonable steps to stop it. I have: disabled waking on network, mouse and RTC in BIOS setup disabled wake on mouse and network in device manager (and checked...