Windows 10: Peer networking issue - invisible PC

Discus and support Peer networking issue - invisible PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are 6 PCs on the network, a mix of W10 pro, W10 home, and W7 pro, and a mix of WiFi and cabled One PC is set up as a "server" (file, print, RDP)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisBedford, May 21, 2019.

1. Peer networking issue - invisible PC

There are 6 PCs on the network, a mix of W10 pro, W10 home, and W7 pro, and a mix of WiFi and cabled

One PC is set up as a "server" (file, print, RDP) and all the rest are user PCs

All but one of the clients is able to access the server, connecting to a shared printer and Remote Desktop on the default port 3389

Here's the problem pair: -

Server:
    - Windows Defender firewall ON (with obvs the automatic holes opened when you set up file & print sharing & allow RDP)
    - Windows 10 Pro 1809 (17763.503)
    - SMB 1.0 / CIFS file sharing support ON (all 3 sub-options)
    - Network discovery & automatic setup of connected devices ON
    Client:
    - Bitdefender firewall ON (but it makes no difference if I switch off ALL Bitdefender protection)
    - Windows same version: 10 Pro 1809 (17763.503)
    - Same SMB settings: SMB 1.0 / CIFS file sharing support ON (all 3 sub-options)
    - Same Network discovery & automatic setup of connected devices ON
    ...in fact I can find *NO* differences in any settings, except as noted above for firewall - nothing that should make any difference, and nothing that shouldn't.

Both obtain IP by DHCP from the SOHO router, with the server's fixed (reserved) while all clients are random. There is nothing in the router's DHCP to differentiate between configs of static and dynamic allocations.

Yet 4 of the clients are able to access Remote Desktop and print to the server; the 5th one just won't connect: -
    (a) RDP connection attempt: Connecting to: {servername} - Initiating remote connection... ...times out with "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons..." {etc etc}
    (b) Attempting to add remote printer: (Select a shared printer by name) - I type in \\{servername}\{printername} and [Next]...Connecting to {printername} on {servername}...
    ... times out with "Windows couldn't connect to the printer. Check the name {etc etc etc}"
    (c) Attempting to connect to server file share: (browsing the network sees other PCs, and itself, but not the server). Enter \\{servername}\ in address bar
    ...times out with "Windows cannot access \\{servername}\ - check the spelling {etc etc etc}"
    (d) Attempting ping from server to client by NETBIOS name: Pinging {pcname}.local [IPV6 address]: destination host unreachable
    (e) Attempting to ping from server to client by IP 4 address: destination host unreachable
    (f) Attempting to ping from client to server by name: Pinging {servername}.local [IPv6 address]: Request timed out
    (g) Attempting to ping from client to server by IPv4 address: request timed out
    (h) (at night, only three live devices on the network): Using "fing" network discovery tool from server: detects only itself and the router
    (i) (at night, only three live devices on the network): Using "fing" network discovery tool from client: detects itself, the router, and the server (by name).

It looks like something on the client is blocking any traffic from the server, but what? I may have tried some other stuff I have forgotten to mention - I've been at this for two days now with no change in results. But I've run out of ideas and would welcome any input.

Thanks
    Chris

:)

ChrisBedford, May 21, 2019

2. Unable to access computers connected in Peer-to-peer connection, asking for network credentials to enter on Windows 10

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access the connected computer on Peer-to Peer connection, we will help you with this issue.

Step 1: Make sure that Password Protected Sharing is turned off
    on your computer and check if it helps.

Steps to follow:

• OpenControl Panel window

• Select Network and Sharing Center

• Select Advanced sharing settings

• Under Password Protected Sharing, check mark
      Turn off Password Protected Sharing

Step 2: I suggest you to disable firewall and anti-virus installed on your computer and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, May 21, 2019
  3. Can not Create Homegroup and error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer and

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per your concern is to create a HomeGroup, do let us know if you are facing the same issue with same error code?

If so, I suggest you to start the services for Peer Networking and check if it helps.

Three particular Windows services manage peer-to-peer networking, and all computers in you are trying to connect should have the same settings in order to reduce error messages and connection problems.

Step 1: Stop the services.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Peer Name Resolution Protocol service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Do the same for Peer Networking Group
      and Peer Networking Identity Manager.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Peer Name Resolution Protocol
      service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Do the same for Peer Networking Group
      and Peer Networking Identity Manager.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 21, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Peer networking issue - invisible PC

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Peer networking issue - invisible PC

1. Peer networking issue - invisible PC - Similar Threads - Peer networking issue

2. Mapping a network drive peer to peer - guide

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping a network drive peer to peer - guide: I have a small home office with a couple of Windows PC's and in the process of updating one of the machines.I am running an split access database and sharing the data file between the two computers.in the past, mapping a network drive has been fairly straightforward, as long...
  3. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Peer to Peer Network issue: I have added a Windows 10 computer to a network where the other two computers are currently legacy Win 7 machines. Having done all of the normal things put machine in same workgroup, enabled network discovery, disabled IPv6, shared the C drive I am now at the situation where...
  4. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Peer to Peer Network issue: I have added a Windows 10 computer to a network where the other two computers are currently legacy Win 7 machines. Having done all of the normal things put machine in same workgroup, enabled network discovery, disabled IPv6, shared the C drive I am now at the situation where...
  5. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Peer to peer network application sharing

Peer to peer network application sharing: Is it possible with a peer to peer network to share an application that allows more than one user. The operating system is windows 10may upgrade to windows10 pro, application is a network version of past perfect, a museum software. Thanks...
  7. Hyper V disabled and cannot be enabled and Peer-to-peer network issues

Hyper V disabled and cannot be enabled and Peer-to-peer network issues: PC number 1: HP Pavilion 15-ak100ne Touch PS: I changed nothing in it so feel free to not ask me and search it's specs in HP's website PC number 2: HP Z420 Workstation AMD ATI Radeon HD 4600 series Intel Xeon E5 1603 8 GB RAM Dial up modem PS: All security measures in the...
  8. Peer-to-peer networking in Windows 10

Peer-to-peer networking in Windows 10: When is it expected to be possible, if ever? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/peer-to-peer-networking-in-windows-10/d477916b-2235-437c-aa37-b4e1b5f256fe
  9. Peer to Peer Connection in home network.

Peer to Peer Connection in home network.: Hi Everyone !, I have a Golf Game, (Jack Nicklaus 6) and I want to play accross my network which consists of a desktop connected to the modem by hard wire and a laptop connected to the modem by WiFi. To connect in the game I need the IP address of the computer hosting the...
  10. Windows 10 Peer to Peer Network

Windows 10 Peer to Peer Network: I am working on a friends network, there are 4 computers on the network, 3 running Windows 10 and one running Windows 7. The main computer (Office) has a HomeGroup setup on it, and the other computers have been joined to that homegroup. "Office" also has a folder shared out,...