Windows 10: Performance installation issues

Discus and support Performance installation issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; If this forum is setup similar to the Windows 8 forum, my laptop specs should appear as part of my signature. I come to this forum to help fix a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jayv2251, May 24, 2016.

1. jayv2251 Win User

Performance installation issues

If this forum is setup similar to the Windows 8 forum, my laptop specs should appear as part of my signature. I come to this forum to help fix a few issues with my now upgraded version of Windows. Honestly, in the 20+ years I've owned pc's and laptops, after a Packard Bell I had back in the 486 days, this has to be one of the worst computers I've ever owned! I bought it brand new, although a clearance model from Radio Shack in the Spring of 2014. Since then I must have re-installed Windows now a half dozen times or more. In fact I just did so less then a month ago, and it's already acting shady again.

What I need advice on today. The performance side of my question is making sure my system is stable enough to back up personal data. I don't think it is at this moment. I've had several crashes while reading Facebook where the screen just goes black and I get the round icon that stands for it's working..(or thinking of ways to make me angry). This results in having to do a warm boot. Something Windows was never really fond of even back in the old dos days.

Once I am confident the system is stable enough, I wish to go to Microsoft's website and download the iso and burn off a bootable "clean" version of Windows 10. Since the computer came with Win8.1 preloaded, I have yet to find out where the foot long key is so when I do a fresh install of Win10 I have it handy. Any tips or suggestions before I do all this?

:)

jayv2251, May 24, 2016
  2. 'RickT Win User

performance issue

Hi Ashik,

Regarding your screenshot: the sort sequence is set to "Name" : you can tell by the little ^ at the top of the Name column. What is causing the "100% disk usage" is obviously further down the list than shows up in the window.

If you click on the top of the "Memory" once or twice, you will see the list sort itself out by memory usage.

'RickT, May 24, 2016
  3. performance issues

Am using the lumia 540 it is a great phone though buh after a few days from which I bought this phone there's has been some performance issues with most of my apps after I upgraded to win 10. Especially my WhatsApp runs tooo slow nowadays and it is giving
    a headache. Please if there's anything you can do to help please do so

DavidMensah, May 24, 2016
  4. Performance installation issues

Hi I have same make of laptop as you have and upgraded from windows my version was 8.1
    The product key you are on about is done by Microsoft.
    So when you come to do a clean install you can skip the part where it ask for it as it will be already I believe on their servers.
    One thing you should check which I made sure was done was make sure your BIOS is up to date.
    You can check that from the Toshiba Web Site.
    I updated mine before I upgraded also make sure your drivers for that model are up to date again check their web site.

Look at my specs also make sure you are running the latest updates again you will see mine in my specs.
    Also instead of a reinstall next time do a SFC /Snannow
    Or an in-place upgrade both links are in my signature

hTconeM9user, May 24, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    That would be incorrect. The Windows 8 product key should be stored in the computer's bios. If jayv2251 does a clean install of the correct edition of Windows 10, it will read the Windows 8 product key from bios and never ask him to enter one. If it does ask him for a product key, then there is something going wrong.

You can see the product key stored in bios, and what version of Windows it is for, by running showkeyplus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  6. jayv2251 Win User
    I almost feel stupid asking these questions. After all, early 2000's I was going to school for LCA, A+, and Net+ back when the Windows version of choice was Win2000 and the newly released XP, which wasn't even on my A+ software portion of the test! Having said all that, I understand there's no longer a way to enter safe mode on rebooting? I also don't see a way or means to access the bios. When I boot, I get I have System Mechanic check my registry, then Toshiba splash screen before Windows loads. I'm so rusty, how can I get to the bios to go over settings and such? I know this isn't part of my initial question, but would be handy when I go to do the fresh Win10 install I plan on doing.

jayv2251, May 25, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  8. jayv2251 Win User

Thanks for the tips folks. Just two more questions. At this time, I know 2 things. Before I install anything else, I'm going to download the ISO of Windows 10 for a fresh install. I figure this will help clear any "junk" left over from repairing and upgrading the system 3-4 times. (Like Norton junk...) One thing I will admit I've been negligent with is doing back-ups. Although I did manage to back a few files up to memory sticks, like my favorites folder, I really want a better automated system that'll back up to OneDrive.

jayv2251, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Performance installation issues - Similar Threads - Performance installation issues

2. Performance Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance Issue: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop....
  3. Performance Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance Issue: Just some weeks ago I used to get 120FPS in my legion laptop ; CPU: AMD Radeon 5 4600H ; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. but now the FPS cant cross 40/sec. even a 4K video lags. how come suddenly my performance drop down significantly. plz help...
  4. performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    performance issues: Hi Microsoft team,Good morning!! I have a Lenovo laptop with i7 processor and since I registered in windows insider program I got my windows 11 update even though my hardware requirements were not met I got windows 11 but my touchpad is not working properly and its getting...
  5. performance issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    performance issues: Hi Microsoft team,Good morning!! I have a Lenovo laptop with i7 processor and since I registered in windows insider program I got my windows 11 update even though my hardware requirements were not met I got windows 11 but my touchpad is not working properly and its getting...
  6. Performance Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance Issue: HelloI've upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and ever since I have been experience performance or FPS issues. The FPS goes down from 100+ to 30-40.If I restart the PC, the problem goes away. But after I am done for the day and shut the PC down, and turn it on the next day, the...
  7. Performance issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance issues: i was working with my pc as usual, till one day right now when i about to boot up my pc, it loads very slow, harddisk rotating sounds very unusual and when logged in, not even 2 minutes my pc automatically shutdown, i mean like when your pc is in use and they like "pop" shut...
  8. Performance issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance issues: I have been experiencing a issue and this pop up always comes on my screen saying ' do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device and there is only a 'no' option there... This has just started since 2-3 days...
  9. Performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Performance issues: I'm going to try and keep this simple. My Windows 10 PC started having a performance and temperature problem a few weeks ago. My CPU temperature goes up to about 60-70 Celsius in idle and in Overwatch, my FPS drops to 210-213 max. One way of fixing this was by keeping the...
  10. performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    performance issues: last year (october) there was a windows update that caused my laptop, and many others to have major performance issues while playing games. before the update: -100fps -medium/high game settings after the update: -10-50fps -low game settings -can run 60fps+ for...