Windows 10: Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

Discus and support Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, So I thought it would be smart to keep my M.2 ssd system drive fairly clear and so migrated the location of desktop, documents, downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Seanin, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Seanin Win User

Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

Hi there,

So I thought it would be smart to keep my M.2 ssd system drive fairly clear and so migrated the location of desktop, documents, downloads etc to my D: drive.

However a weird thing happens. All Microsoft progs, Office and windows native apps like notepad etc can save stuff to my desktop folders just fine but if I try to save from, for example, Sage or AutoCAD then Windows tells me that I don't have admin privileges to save in that location and offers to save in the root of the user folder instead. The account is an admin account.

Tried setting full control on the desktop folder but no joy. The only way I can get non-MS progs to save on the desktop is by moving it back to the C: drive.

I have absolutely no idea why this might be, maybe something to do with the environment variable path pointing in the wrong place? Pretty sure I've done this before on Win 7 builds without any problems. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Thanks.

:)

Seanin, Oct 29, 2017

2. Win 10 boot manager GUI menu, no mouse pointer

I don't understand your answer. Can you explain further please.

If you are suggesting that I have a hardware problem let me point out that I have a 5 year old home built desktop with an ASUS motherboard, a Dell display, a Logitech keyboard and mouse. They all worked happily on Win 7 Pro, Win 8 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro, and then
    failed on Win 10 Pro. One failing partition has Win 10 x86 and the other x64. The non failing partition is Win 10 Pro x64. Those were all retail versions of Windows.

My other machine was a laptop which worked happily on OEM Win 8.1 x64, retail Win 8.1 Pro x64, and then failed on retail Win Pro x64.

My belief is that there is a Windows software problem which inhibits the mouse pointer when I do an upgrade install to Win 10.

Bob

Bob_Denton, Oct 29, 2017
  3. RudyRex Win User
    Win 10 Pro slow going from login to desktop

Win 10 Pro (Ver. 1511 X64) takes anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds to get to the desktop after login.

This seems awfully slow, but I've been living with it for a couple of years now. Is this a common problem?

RudyRex, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

Hi Seanin.

You didn't say how you "Migrated" these folders. Were you following the the instructions in the tutorial?

Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

There is a whole series of these on Documents, Music, etc.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Seanin Win User
    Hi Ken thanks for replying, I moved it exactly as in the tutorial you linked with the slight exception that I didn't create the folders at the location being moved to, Windows did it for me as part of step 3. Can't think why that small difference would result in the problem I'm having?

Seanin, Oct 30, 2017
  6. Obviously have a backup, maybe even create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I would say undo you changes, there is restore option, then follow the tutorial to the "T" and try it again.

Myself I don't store files on desktop. I store in Libraries and then create shortcuts to key files and folders. That way all routines that backup libraries by default capture my data.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 30, 2017
  7. Seanin Win User
    Hi Ken finally got around to trying that and hey presto it works. Thanks again.

Now have to undo the botched move and do it as per the tutorial on three other systems.

Wish I understood why the botched move is botched or even basically what's going on there!?

Seanin, Nov 3, 2017
  8. Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

Great. just chalk it up to the wonders of Windows, life is to short.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

1. Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64 - Similar Threads - Permission problems migrating

2. Win 10 Pro x64 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Pro x64 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ntoskrnl.exe: My PC started crashing recently, I tried updating the drivers, sfc scannow, dism cleanup, restoring UEFI settings to default, restoring from system restore point, RAM diagnostic tools, etc., to no avail. It is shown in BlueScreenView that ntoskrnl.exe is the culprit in every...
  3. Win 10 Pro x64 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Pro x64 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ntoskrnl.exe: My PC started crashing recently, I tried updating the drivers, sfc scannow, dism cleanup, restoring UEFI settings to default, restoring from system restore point, RAM diagnostic tools, etc., to no avail. It is shown in BlueScreenView that ntoskrnl.exe is the culprit in every...
  4. Win 10 Pro x64 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Migrate win 10 pro license ...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrate win 10 pro license ...: from a physical PC to a VM running an identical (identity wise) win 10 pro (domain, node name, IP address). Is that allowed by MS? submitted by /u/andersostling56 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lt302z/migrate_win_10_pro_license/
  6. A problem with win 10 Pro desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    A problem with win 10 Pro desktop: This is on a Gateway laptop model NV570P-18U, OS Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I am on my Sony backup laptop because I clicked on something in the in the notifications box on the right side of task bar to the right of the clock that has screwed up the Gateways desktop so bad that I...
  7. Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.: So, I've gone through hell to make bootable media to install x64 version of windows... I had previously downloaded a 64-bit version of windows 10 pro on an external drive As a backup version of windows incase of disaster. It helped once while it lasted with huge success and...
  8. Win 10 x64 Pro and Safe Mode...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 x64 Pro and Safe Mode...: I need to get into safe mode WITH Network Support. Load up, enter password NOT the PIN, PASSWORD... not accepted. Restart to normal. Make new account with Admin Privileges. Log into that account. Restart to Safe Mode with Network Support. Enter password... no ball. Restart...
  9. Win 10 Pro desktop slideshow problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Pro desktop slideshow problems: Hello everyone! I am having problems with the desktop wallpaper function. I want the slideshow to cycle through the many sub folders of the picture library at random. However, the old Win 7 feature to select all sub folders is missing. I researched this on the 'net and found...
  10. Win 7 Ultimate x64 Desktop to Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 7 Ultimate x64 Desktop to Win 10: Greetings: Before all, I am autistic with ADHD, and with a few questions. So, I received the Win 10 Pro N, but before continuing, I made a Ghost of my current system. I figured, since this be a new era, to get me a clean install of W10Pro. Put the ISO to disk, reboot,...