Windows 10: Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10

Discus and support Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am seeking help in removing a “Phantom Disk F” on my desktop PC. Here are the details -- Recently, when using my Desktop PC, running Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frank.White, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10

I am seeking help in removing a “Phantom Disk F” on my desktop PC.

Here are the details --

Recently, when using my Desktop PC, running Windows 10, this message keeps popping up – “Low disk space. You are running out of disk space on Local Disk (F): Click here to see if you can free space on this drive.” I don't have a Local Disk (F) attached to this PC.

When I click on “Click here” nothing happens.

Here’s a picture of the “Phantom Disk F” at the bottom of my Devices and drives for "This PC Shortcut"

Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10 ead430bd-bc17-41a9-859b-64440193c82e?upload=true.jpg

I have searched online for a solution and, although there are many suggested solutions, none have solved this problem for me.

:)

Frank.White, Oct 26, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2018
  3. sadnewbie Win User
    non existing phantom drives listed as Unknown devices in Device Manager

Original title: Phantom drive in Windows 10

OS Windows 10. My computer showed two phantom drives. I tried to eject them through the “Safely remove hardware and eject media” but I never get a list of those drives to remove.

I also tried through the Device Manager> View> Show Hidden Devices> but those phantom drives do not show in the listing, so I can’t uninstall them. It did show a “WPD FileSystem Volume Driver” with a yellow triangle and I clicked to uninstall. Then
    I moved to Disk drives in the same Device manager and it listed one non-existing drive. I clicked on uninstall and after a little time it instructed me to restart the computer which I did by clicking the “restart now’. The computer went to restart and just
    hanged in there, allowed it to work the restart for a couple of hours so I finally did a hard reboot.

When it finally came on, I clicked on the Windows Explorer> This PC. This time it showed only one phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Opened again Device Manage> View> Show hidden devices> under disks it only showed the correct disks installed on the PC. Under portable devices showed: Unknown device, so I did uninstall it. Closed the Device manager. No restart request this time.

On Windows explorer it still shows the phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Next I went to Disk Management. The window for it came up but although it says “Connecting to Virtual Disk Service,” it never shows anything in spite of letting it work for a couple of hours. I believe the PC gets confused searching for that non-existing
    phantom drive. Also checked under Computer management> Services> Virtual Disk: and it said it was running. Still nothing shows in Disk Management.

The Phantom disk I believe is interfering with the search feature in Windows Explorer since every time I try to find a document it takes too long.

On my frustration downloaded from Microsoft the “Windows installation tool” for my Windows 10 and tried that to see if a repair would get me clear of that non-existing drive. However after doing that repair it still did list the non-existing drive.
    So I tried again with that DVD and did a reinstall of Windows 10. No luck the phantom drive is still there; if I click on it the computer tries to find it and just hangs in there and nothing can be done on it just freezes.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

sadnewbie, Oct 26, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10

phantom homegroup

Hey ruggb,
    Give this a try ...
    1. Make sure all PC's have left the HomeGroup or are NOT joined to a HomeGroup
    2. Turn off ALL PC's
    3. Start the PC that originally had HomeGroup and now has the Phantom HomeGroup
    4. You should be able to create a new HomeGroup on that PC replacing the phantom HomeGroup. Print or write down new HomeGroup password.
    5. Start the other PCs and attempt to join HomeGroup with new password.

Note: Make sure you use the ORIGINAL PC that had the Phatom HomeGroup ! (step 3)
    Note: Once you have fixed the Phantom HomeGroup, you should be able to have all the PC's leave the HomeGroup, then create a new HomeGroup on the PC of your choice if you want.

Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

Eagle51, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10

1. Phantom Disk on desktop PC running Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Phantom Disk desktop

2. Phantom DISK 3 Created by Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Phantom DISK 3 Created by Windows: Can anyone identify why Windows seems to have created the invisible DISK 3? I know DISK 2 is OK. I'm getting a 0x80004005 error trying to upgrade 20H2 to 21H1 and seeing DISK 3 SURPRISE REMOVED....
  3. Phantom desktop icons added to my HTPC desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Phantom desktop icons added to my HTPC desktop.: I just did a clean install of Windows 10 v2004. When install was complete there was a whole host of mostly blank tile iconsshortcuts that appeared on my desktop. Most had names and the name all matched programs that I have installed on another PC. I didn't want any of them...
  4. The Phantom PC killing bug (update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Phantom PC killing bug (update: The last time I posted here it was about a mysterious Bug that'd Kill my PC every week on Thursday / Friday Night. Two weeks ago. On that week I Removed Sophos Home from my computer in order to see if it was that. It was, for the most part. The phantom Bug persist, But no...
  5. what is the minimum desktop PC spec to run windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    what is the minimum desktop PC spec to run windows 10?: what is the minimum desktop PC spec to run windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/c14604c7-51e9-44da-80f5-d64fa4767457
  6. Desktop is overlayed with background from phantom screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop is overlayed with background from phantom screen: Hi, My setup is a Lenovo laptop with the latest drivers. I have specifically and multiple times verified the bios, the display, and monitor drivers. My configuration is has multiple monitors. Under some set of circumstances that I haven't been able to nail down, when I...
  7. check disk on startup - windows 10 on desktop pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    check disk on startup - windows 10 on desktop pc: I have a desktop PC with windows 10 and since some time it asks me to perform disk check at every startup. If I let it proceed nothing happens and windows loads normally. I checked the disk (a Samsung SSD) with the producer software (Samsung magician) and the SMART report...
  8. Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...: So I only just found the fix for this without closing and reopening the program, (I'll post it below), but now I'm curious, confused, and angry as to why it happens. So I'm on my laptop and I have a second screen plugged in via HDMI. I mostly see the problem with ZOOM, but...
  9. Phantom Local Disk in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom Local Disk in Windows Explorer: In Windows Explorer, there's an extra local hard disk (E:\) which doesn't appear in Disk Management. It's about 500MB in size and 3/4 full. If I look at the properties, the name of the phantom disk is the same as the real physical disk (C:\). However, I don't know how to get...
  10. A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management: There is no drive assigned. I wonder what it refers to? I've checked the registry but can't figure it out. How would I remove it? [img] 40439

Users found this page by searching for:

1. phantom desktop Windows10

2. fetching files on a PC running Windows 8.1 isnt supported.