Windows 10: Photo Viewer

Discus and support Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; One thing I really miss from Win 7 is the photo viewer. When I first used Win 10 it was an upgraded machine, so it was still there. Can you tell me, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by davefaz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. davefaz Win User

Photo Viewer

One thing I really miss from Win 7 is the photo viewer. When I first used Win 10 it was an upgraded machine, so it was still there. Can you tell me, is it still included in the installation software? I would like to find out how to enable it, if it is.

:)

davefaz, Feb 28, 2018
  2. Vashnik Win User

Setting Defaults Broken: Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Here is what Windows Photo Viewer shows that it supports:

Snaggy - easy screenshots

Windows Photo Viewer can be from the "Choose default apps by file type." In fact, here is the list of Windows Photo Associations and how they're being associated with in the "Choose default apps by file type" window:

BMP is associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but does not show up as selected in the above screenshot.

DIB is supported by Windows Photo Viewer and is not associated with it, despite Windows Photo Viewer being the default program for photos.

GIF is supported, but is associated with the "Photos" Windows 10 app, now is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JFIF is supported, but is not associated with any application at all, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JPE is supported, but is associated with WavePad Sound Editor, now is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JPG and JPEG both are associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but does not show as selected in the above screenshot like it's supposed to.

JXR is supported, but is associated with VideoPad Video Editor, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

PNG is associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but not selected in the above screenshot like it's supposed to be.

TIF and TIFF both are associated with Windows Photo Viewer and is selected like in the screenshot above.

WDP is supported, but is associated with VideoPad Video Editor, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

Vashnik, Feb 28, 2018
  3. chris9465 Win User
    Microsoft photos app

Don't reinstall the Windows 10 photo app. I installed the Photo viewer from windows 7

Heres a link to how to geek. This will help you load Win7 photo viewer if you like too, or choose another photo app. Ive been comparing paid photo apps and programs non have really appealed to me yet. Google might have something, haven't gotten that far.
    Win7 photo viewer is so much easier to use/customise.

How to Make Windows Photo Viewer Your Default Image Viewer on Windows 10

If the link doesn't work and you want Win7 photo viewer google "How to Geek make photo viewer default photo app"

chris9465, Feb 28, 2018
  4. Clintlgm Win User
  5. davefaz Win User
    Thats a no then.Is there a subtitute? I don't want to use Photo. I literally can't stand Microsoft applications these days.

davefaz, Feb 28, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    This may make it possible ...

[See Below]

If not then I would recommend Irfanview which will open most if not all types of Image - Always use the advanced install to see what is actually happening

Barman58, Feb 28, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 28, 2018
  8. davefaz Win User

Photo Viewer

davefaz, Feb 28, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Party

Brink, Feb 28, 2018
  10. Steve C Win User
    I actually find Photo Viewer quite useful for quickly viewing photo files despite having Adobe photo editing software (Lightroom & Photoshop). I have Photo Viewer set as the default to open .jpg files. Why don't you like it?

Steve C, Mar 1, 2018
  11. Sawuwaya Win User
    I know Google discontinued support and updates for this little gem I still use all the time. It is Picasa 3.x. This program I have been using since Windows before Windows XP (I think)
    Photo Viewer [​IMG]
    . But the Picasa photoviewer I have liked over Micro$oft's any day of the week. If you search Google for it you can still get an off-line installer for it. Also, I still like the way Picasa finds and sorts all of my photo's on my drives. I think it still can be linked to your G-Mail account. But I do not use it that way... I use Photos.

Sawuwaya, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Photo Viewer

1. Photo Viewer - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer

2. Photo Viewer Image Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Viewer Image Compression: Hi,Does the Windows Photo Viewer automatically compress pictures to edit them? I took some portraits for my niece that I'd like to edit, but it's compressing them from a large file to a small one, which I don't want. Ex. The picture starts out as 7.8MB & ends up as 1MB.I know...
  3. My Windows Photo Viewer cannot display image properly Turns Black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Windows Photo Viewer cannot display image properly Turns Black: Hello all,My windows photo viewer app works perfectly when opening photos but it doesn't work on photos that were created by photoshop with the option japan color 2001 coated checked.For example, when I open the image, it appears half a second as normal like this.Then after a...
  4. Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images

Photo Viewer has started auto mangling the exposure and orientation of Canon CR2 RAW images: Windows file explorer shows thumbnails of CR2 files just fine. Photo Viewer will show a CR2 image properly for about half a second, but then it will redo the exposure badly and if the image is oriented vertically, it will reorient it horizontally. Please in the next patch fix...
  5. Microsoft Photos viewer displaying pictures in negatives

Microsoft Photos viewer displaying pictures in negatives: Hello all,A few weeks ago, something strange happened. My Photos viewer displays pictures that are in CMYK regardless of file format, as negatives. Photos that are in RGB are not affected. I've never had this happen before, so I'm finding it pretty weird. To add to the...
  6. Photo Viewer Can't Display...Not Enough Memory...For ONE Photo ONLY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer Can't Display...Not Enough Memory...For ONE Photo ONLY: [I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1052] The message "Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture ... not enough memory ..." has been discussed here before. What's unique about my situation (I think) is that I see this message for only one photo on my computer. It's...
  7. How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?

How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?: If I search for pictures and open in the Photos App, I can use the arrow keys to navigate to the next picture displayed in the search results.However, if I open the same picture from search results using Windows Photo Viewer, using the arrow keys just displays the next file...
  8. Microsoft Photos viewer banding on images

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Photos viewer banding on images: I have Microsoft Photos 2020.20090.1002.0 on my Windows Desktop PC.when viewing images, I keep getting this banding/ black banding on the images! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-viewer-banding-on-images/76972653-53b6-452f-ad60-e22a6247ccb3
  9. Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo Viewer: In the latest version of Windows 10 the old Photo Viewer has gone and there is no option to restor it. I need this as it shows the META data and I add details to each photo. Can I still get this and if so where?Thanks...
  10. How get Windows Photo Viewer back in my new Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How get Windows Photo Viewer back in my new Win10: Windows Home v 20H2, OS build 19042.92 I am new to Win10. I miss my Windows Photo Viewer from my old Win7. It was a nice simple program for what I need. Is there any way to get that back in my new Win10? 180075