Windows 10: Photos app crashes on open for a single user

Discus and support Photos app crashes on open for a single user in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We have a single user that upon launching the Photos app from the Start menu receives a black screen after which the app crashes. This event is logged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mike_5555, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Mike_5555 Win User

Photos app crashes on open for a single user

We have a single user that upon launching the Photos app from the Start menu receives a black screen after which the app crashes. This event is logged in the Application log:

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Photos.exe, version: 2019.19041.16510.0, time stamp: 0x5cf69a07

Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.556, time stamp: 0xd94c4e1e
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006a6082
    Faulting process id: 0x64c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5208cadb52423
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19041.16510.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: 834bafd5-cf76-4e27-bca0-5350c6bc6e2b
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19041.16510.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Other users on the same workstation do not have the problem. I have tried the various reset, removal, reinstallation methods mentioned in other threads but they do not resolve this situation. We use remote folder redirection so the roaming portion of the user profile is on a file server. I have tried deleting the local and remote profiles and having the machine recreate them but each time the user logs back into the workstation we have the same problem with the app. I have logged the user into another workstation which will grab the profile from the server and there are no issues.

Evidently there is something that remains on the local machine after the profile is deleted - I have insured that everything under c:\Users is gone as well as the section in the HKLM Windows NT\Profiles section is gone for the user in question. Any ideas where else I can look for other remnants of the profile that might affect this app? I have tried having other users log into the workstation that were not there in the past and the app works fine.

:)

Mike_5555, Jun 12, 2019

2. Is the Photos App completely broken? It opens but crashes after 5 seconds.

There were so many errors in the system I just wiped everything and did a clean install. However, the Photos app still crashes immediately after opening it. I tried all the steps listed above and the problem persists. Creating a new user and doing a clean
    boot have no effect. The SFC scan reports no errors now, which is good, but the Photos app will not work despite trying everything that has been suggested. Also, the Troubleshooter for Windows Apps found no problems. Which is amusing, since there clearly is
    one.

To recap, despite trying all methods listed above, including a clean install to clear everything and make sure I have all current updates...Photos does not work.

I'd really like to hear a suggestion as to what to do next.

BrianBeagle, Jun 12, 2019
  3. davidhk Win User
    Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

May I suggest an alternative : Restore Windows Photo Viewer
    How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

davidhk, Jun 12, 2019
  4. gmteg Win User

Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

Hi all,

First off, I've tried numerous fixes suggested in other threads with the same issue; they either didn't work or were not an option to me due to this being an issue with multiple computers/users across my organisation.

Quite a few users in my organisation have started crashing upon opening the Photos app (both when opening a photo to view it or simply opening the app) since around a week ago. I've tried reinstalling to no avail, I'm unable to do a system restore to a week ago (seems to have fixed it for others) due to this affecting many users.

Any ideas? Thanks

gmteg, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Photos app crashes on open for a single user - Similar Threads - Photos app crashes

2. Photos app / Video editor app crashes when open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app / Video editor app crashes when open: When i open my photos app or the default video editor, it just waits for a couple of seconds the windows turns black and crashes.I have tried everything: reseting the app, using the troubleshooter,reinstalling the appCould somebody help me with this?...
  3. Photos app / Video editor app crashes when open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app / Video editor app crashes when open: When i open my photos app or the default video editor, it just waits for a couple of seconds the windows turns black and crashes.I have tried everything: reseting the app, using the troubleshooter,reinstalling the appCould somebody help me with this?...
  4. Grant a single user permission to install/update a single app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grant a single user permission to install/update a single app: My company has purchased a license for MS 365 Business Premium, so I can manage users via Azure AD and devices via Intune.Our bookkeeper uses a special software from a local retailer and it would be convenient if she was able to install any updates herself, without my doing...
  5. Photos-App Crash

Photos-App Crash: Hi all, Since a Photo-App Update believe some months ago, it happens sometime that the App crashes by doubleclicking on a .jpg file. In 80% it works with no problems. Sometimes after waiting very long, the App crashes. After closing the App and retry, the App will work fine...
  6. When I open a photo with the "Photos" app on windows, it will always crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I open a photo with the "Photos" app on windows, it will always crash: The photo takes about 10 seconds to open and the photos app kind of crashes. It eventually opens, but the photo isn't there. I've set it to black background. Is this a Windows problem ? I build my PC 2 weeks ago with a fresh OS Windows 10 install via a paid product key....
  7. Photos App Crashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos App Crashing: Hi all, I have searched for a solution to this problem for some time, but nothing seems to work for me. Just putting out a message in a bottle here one more time to see if anyone has anything further to add: When I open the Photos app, I get a black window for about 2...
  8. Photos App crashes shortly after opening.

Photos App crashes shortly after opening.: This is happening on my Surface 3. I've tried resetting it and uninstalling then reinstalling via power shell. The same thing happened on my desktop but reinstalling the app fixed it, not so on the Surface. Also, both machines don't list Photos in the Apps & Features list...
  9. photos app crashes

photos app crashes: The Windows 10 update on 6/11/2018 has cause my photo app to crash immediately on startup. I reinstalled photo, but I continuously get a file systems error (-2147279796) come on MS get it fixed please !...
  10. Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening: Hi all, First off, I've tried numerous fixes suggested in other threads with the same issue; they either didn't work or were not an option to me due to this being an issue with multiple computers/users across my organisation. Quite a few users in my organisation have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19041.16510.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Microsoft Photos

2. app crashing for single user profile faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\windows.ui.xaml.dll