Windows 10: Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer

Discus and support Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I recently made the final switch to Windows 10 (was still using 8.1 simply because there was no need to switch, new PC obviously came with Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mephanic, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer

So I recently made the final switch to Windows 10 (was still using 8.1 simply because there was no need to switch, new PC obviously came with Win 10 now). One thing I miss is the Photo Viewer from Win 8.1, as the new Photos app is lacking a lot of small features that added a lot of usability for me:

• Images no longer rotate back to the start. If I select 100 images and go through them, at the end of the list if I go next, Photo Viewer would switch back to the beginning of the list. I liked this a lot, but in the Photos app I need to go backwards through all of them to start at the beginning.

• Mouse thumb buttons for browser forward/backward are not recognized. I have to use the arrow keys with comes with an additional issue:
      • If I have zoomed into a photo, the left/right arrow keys will move the zoomed image around, but no longer go to previous/next picture (I pan zoomed images by dragging with the mouse, never used arrow keys for that anyway). Photo Viewer might have behaved the same way, but it was no issue because I used the mouse thumb buttons instead anyway.

• View actual size is hidden in the context menu. Photo Viewer had a button right there in the controls at the bottom.

• Shift+Del no longer works. I can only move an image to the recycle bin, even if it is so bad that I know I want to permanently delete it, I can't do that from the Photos app.

• In slideshow mode, the context menu is gone, right click immediate ends the slide show. It used to have useful features such as changing the speed of the slideshow, now all I seem to be able to do is go back/forward with the arrow keys and pause/resume with the spacebar.

• Zoom always uses an animation, which is of course slower than instantaneously switching to the new zoom level. I suppose turning off all animations system wide could disable this, but I generally don't mind the animations in Win 10, in many cases they are really nice and I'd not want to lose them all over one app, but when examining a picture I don't rather not have a half-second delay on every zoom step.

Is there any way to get these features back into the Photos app, maybe a hidden setting? Or maybe there is an third party open source alternative that behaves as the Win 8.1 Photo Viewer? Right now the Photos app feels like a huge downgrade in usability while providing no apparent feature justifying the differences.

submitted by /u/Mephanic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mephanic, Apr 26, 2020
  2. iko22 Win User

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Apr 26, 2020
  3. cheeesus Win User
    How to bring back Photo Viewer in Windows 10?

Unfortunately, none of the above answers worked for me, but they pointed me in the right direction.

1. Right-click on an image in Windows Explorer, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    2. In the dialog, scroll down and click on More apps, then `Look for another app on this PC.
    3. Then, at the bottom right, choose All Files (*.*) instead of Programs (*.exe ...), then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and choose PhotoViewer.dll.
    4. Photo Viewer opens. Close it.
    5. Repeat Step 1: Right-click again on the image, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    6. Again scroll down to click on More apps.
    7. Now Windows Photo Viewer appears in the apps list. Choose it and click on Always use this app to open .png files.

Once you did steps 1-4, you don't have to repeat them for other file types. Steps 5-7 should suffice.

cheeesus, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Taras Win User

Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer

1. Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer - Similar Threads - Photos app Photo

2. update windows 8 photo viewer, microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    update windows 8 photo viewer, microsoft: Does Microsoft offer update to windows photo viewer for windows 8 ? I see updates available from sources other than microsoft and have a trust issue....help...thanks...
  3. update windows 8 photo viewer, microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update windows 8 photo viewer, microsoft: Does Microsoft offer update to windows photo viewer for windows 8 ? I see updates available from sources other than microsoft and have a trust issue....help...thanks...
  4. Photo Viewer app???

Photo Viewer app???: Hi; I updated a friends comp to win10 from win8.1, now all her pics are missing info. She swears she was using windows photo viewer and had all her pics titled and dated. This is different from file name. Win10 photo app does not show the title/Subject or date. I tried...
  5. Windows Photo App vs PowerPoint

Windows Photo App vs PowerPoint: Hi I have been an avid fan of the then 'Microsoft Digital Media Edition' which I used to edit photos with as it was simple and easy to use. Fast forward now I have noticed that PowerPoint has more options for photo editing then the actual photo app namely 'background...
  6. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777
  7. Photo viewer app for Windows 10

Photo viewer app for Windows 10: Hello. So i just recently came up with the windows 10 app about photo viewing. I like how it helps you organize your pictures in albums, date taken, etc. I have a question though about that date thing. Why does it stop at 1969 when you go back? I have photos taken way before...
  8. MS "PHOTO" & "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS "PHOTO" & "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER": How do I get rid of large blue (square) icon that has suddenly appeared in the lower left corner of every picture thumbnail (jpg/tiff/…) in my photos folder? Was happily using MS "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER", for my thumbnails and viewer... which somehow has now disappeared (not a...
  9. How to make Windows photo viewer as default photo app as of 12/8/2018?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Windows photo viewer as default photo app as of 12/8/2018?: With recent windows update (1809), I can't make default app for certain image type with "Open With..." and checkbox of "Always open this type of file with this app", which happen to be Windows photo viewer. Although this was an inconvenient method to make an app as a...
  10. photos vs photo viewer

photos vs photo viewer: If I double click on a .tif file in File Explorer it opens in Photo Viewer whereas if I double click on a .jpg file it opens in Photos. I much prefer using Photo Viewer because you can run a slide show from there & with a right click adjust the speed or duration to Fast,...