Windows 10: Photos Still Not Reading Raw after Update

Discus and support Photos Still Not Reading Raw after Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Even after downloading the May 2019 Windows update Microsoft Photos software won't read my RAW photo files. I can go through file explorer and pick an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RhondaG58, Jun 25, 2019.

1. RhondaG58 Win User

Photos Still Not Reading Raw after Update

Even after downloading the May 2019 Windows update Microsoft Photos software won't read my RAW photo files. I can go through file explorer and pick an individual picture and it will read it, but not when I try and load them directly into Photos. I know I can read them through another software program, but I like the ease and simplicity of the Photo program, and none of the other programs (free ones at least) will import all the pictures on my sd card at one time. I have been waiting patiently for this update roll out for this very needed fix.

:)

RhondaG58, Jun 25, 2019
  2. iko22 Win User

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Photos Still Not Reading Raw after Update [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Jun 25, 2019
  3. edirish Win User
    RAW Photo files

Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other
    PC's that have been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that will open up the RAW files in both Photos and Windows Photo Viewer. Have searched the Microsoft sites trying to find the Codec files so I can view RAW files on this PC but have found only for previous
    Windows versions and they won't install. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

edirish, Jun 25, 2019
  4. iko22 Win User

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

OK I got this fully working.

To view only .jpg files in folder containing jpg and camera raw

1. In File Explorer, navigate to folder containing photos that you wish to view.
    2. In File Explorer, type *.jpg in the search box. You will then see all your jpeg's with the camera raw files absent.
    3. Click on any file in the search results, to start Photo Viewer.

To view only camera raw (.cr2) files in a folder containing jpg and camera raw

1. In File Explorer, navigate to folder containing photos that you wish to view.
    2. In File Explorer, type *.cr2 in the search box. You will then see all your camera raw files with the jpeg files absent.
    3. Click on any file in the search results, to start Photo Viewer.

It really is that simple. No registry edits needed. *chuckle

iko22, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Photos Still Not Reading Raw after Update - Similar Threads - Photos Still Reading

2. Raw read error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Raw read error: Hiwhat is raw read error rate?Does my hdd raw read error rate is high?is it failing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-read-error/3ae7e054-01e3-49ef-84ff-6b40239dd5b0
  3. Raw read error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw read error: Hiwhat is raw read error rate?Does my hdd raw read error rate is high?is it failing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-read-error/3ae7e054-01e3-49ef-84ff-6b40239dd5b0
  4. Raw read error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. RAW Photos in Photos App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAW Photos in Photos App: Hello,I am a photographer and I shoot into Camera Raw .Cr2 format. Because I shoot massive amounts of photos, I use the photos app to quickly view and select the photos I want to bring into post production. However, the automatic correction has been messing with many of my...
  6. RAW Photos in Photos App

RAW Photos in Photos App: Hello,I am a photographer and I shoot into Camera Raw .Cr2 format. Because I shoot massive amounts of photos, I use the photos app to quickly view and select the photos I want to bring into post production. However, the automatic correction has been messing with many of my...
  7. Raw File in MS Photo

Raw File in MS Photo: How can I update MS Photo to read the raw files from a Canon 5D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-file-in-ms-photo/9e8b63d4-1dc1-4917-a17d-91c4950ee15c
  8. Windows 10 Photo App Still Enhances Preview on RAW Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Photo App Still Enhances Preview on RAW Files: I have read where the Auto Enhance feature was disabled on the Windows 10 Photos App, and it appears to be the case when viewing most file types, but the Auto Enhance feature appears to still be enabled when viewing RAW files - like Nikon .nef files. It would be extremely...
  9. raw file photo storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw file photo storage: hi. advise plz.. am a hobby photographer and recently decided to try shooting raw. apx 20 pics went to my windows 10 photo storage edit and my pc just cdnt handle them .hp 570 tower 64 bit ..intel 5 I think..my pc completely slowed down . if I opened photos then clicked a raw...
  10. RAW Photo files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAW Photo files: Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other PC's that have been...