Windows 10: Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders

Discus and support Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally unpinned the file explorer icon from the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It is the icon I use to access all my files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kirstywright2, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders

I accidentally unpinned the file explorer icon from the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It is the icon I use to access all my files and folders. Now I can't access any of my folders. What can I do to recover the icon on the task bar?

:)

kirstywright2, Mar 22, 2020
  2. sixt5cuda Win User

Windows 10 lost my pinned OneDrive file links on the task bar

First, my files are not missing, I simply cannot access them the same way I did with Windows 8 and 8.1

Correct behavior from Windows 8.1:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Find and open Notepad file "Notes.txt" located in a OneDrive folder

3) Notepad is pinned to the task bar

4) Right-click on Notepad icon in task bar

5) List of recent files appears, including files recently opened on OneDrive

6) Right-click on "Notes.txt", left-click on Pin To This List

7) "Notes.txt" is now quickly accessible from the list of files in the Notepad list on the task bar

Under Windows 10, step 5 is broken. Files located on OneDrive never appear in the list of recent items for a pinned application on the task bar. This behavior is duplicated on the Start Menu Jump List.

Under Windows 8.1, I had many pinned documents connected to applications on my task bar. As soon as Windows 10 booted the first time, these links disappeared. Links to documents on the desktop or in my local Documents folder, remained linked to task bar
    applications.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or is it just my computer?

sixt5cuda, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Pinning To File Explorer

I can confirm that in 1903 I can click and drag a folder and pin it to File Explorer on the taskbar. I can also confirm that the pinned folders on the taskbar are the same ones show in Quick Access in File Explorer, and that pinning a new one to the taskbar adds it to Quick Access.

It may be that your File Explorer jump list is corrupted. This can happen occasionally and have similar odd effects to those you describe. If so, you can delete the jump list and start again with an empty list. To do so, delete the file:

%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\f01b4d95cf55d32a.automaticDestinations-ms

To clear the jump lists for all apps, not just the one for File Explorer, see this tutorial.

Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

4. Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders

Pinning To File Explorer

I have no problem pinning folders to the quick access in file explorer. However that's not the same list that I see when I right click on the file explorer icon in my task bar.

There are eleven items on the right click menu. There were 12 but I unpinned one. There are 13 folders pinned to the quick access menu when I open file explorer.

Yes, the 11 on the right click menu are also among the 13 pinned to quick access. But I need to see them all on the right click menu or it's nearly worthless. If I have to click on the file explorer icon to open it then find the item in the quick access list, there's no advantage at all in having the right click menu for file explorer.

For some reason this isn't working like it did when I had v.1803.

larrydonline, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders

1. Pinning file explorer to the task bar to access files and folders - Similar Threads - Pinning file explorer

2. Can't pin files to task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin files to task bar: A few months ago, after a Windows 10 update, I suddenly lost my ability to pin files to my taskbar. Pinning software icons still works, but I used to have quick access to regularly used files by right-clicking a software icon. I was hoping this issue would fix itself with...
  3. Help with file explorer as a task bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with file explorer as a task bar: In older Windows versions than Windows 10, I used to set up a floating taskbar for all the folders, and it was either hidden or present on all monitors and locked to the left side. I was able to get directly to my files and folders and it was clean and clear, didn't require...
  4. File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer & Task Bar Unresponsive: Whenever a second user logs in on my machine, they do not have access to FIle Explorer and the Task Bar is unresponsive. I am able to fix the issue by forcing the other account to sign off in the User portion of the Task Manager. If the initial account then logs back in, it...
  5. File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working

in Cortana
    File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working: Hi, Recently I cannot search for files in the File Explorer search box and the Taskbar search option does not work. I have tried all these Under Task Manager, re-start File Explorer Under Task Manager - Details, cannot find Under File Explorer - View - Options -...
  6. File explorer and Task bar search windows

in Cortana
    File explorer and Task bar search windows: Why can't I type into the file explorer and the task bar search windows? There is no cursor when trying to click in either window. It is some what recent, worked several week ago pretty sure. I was working with using the file search function out of a 3rd party manual. Glen...
  7. unwanted, multiple file explorer files in my task bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unwanted, multiple file explorer files in my task bar: How do I stop unwanted, multiple file explorer files in my task bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unwanted-multiple-file-explorer-files-in-my-task/92840ce6-52a3-4e78-b31a-9ecb9d996b8e
  8. Task Bar/File Explorer Hanging constantly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Bar/File Explorer Hanging constantly: I am having a problem when I click on a pinned program on the taskbar, it hangs for a while, then when I click on the pinned program again, it works. I think it is the file explorer behind the scene restarting. This is happening about every 5 to 10 minutes. It makes work...
  9. Windows File Explorer Folder Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Folder Access: Man I messed something up. I have an external hard drive to store stuff important to me. However I recently did something that changed permissions on that drive's folders. Now I can't access or change any folder on that drive. Can someone please advise how I can reset those...
  10. Pinning things to the file explorer on start bar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning things to the file explorer on start bar?: Not sure whether this is the appropriate forum, but, when you right click on the file explorer icon on the start bar you see, among other things, some frequently accessed folders and you see some pinned folders (downloads, pictures etc.) and I'm wondering whether there's any...