Windows 10: Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1

Discus and support Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Over the past 6 months - I have been making efforts to ensure that SMBv1 is not on our network machines in any capacity - and for the most part it has... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SonicMojo, Nov 30, 2018.

1. SonicMojo Win User

Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1

Over the past 6 months - I have been making efforts to ensure that SMBv1 is not on our network machines in any capacity - and for the most part it has worked ok.

I use Windows 10 ENT on the workstations and Windows 2016 on the servers.

But I remain confused on the actual correct way to disable this ugly protocol.

If one believes what we see on the Internet - the most common advice is to roll over to:

Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows Features on or off - and uncheck the box indicated below.

Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1 [​IMG]

This does in fact disable SMBv1 but also takes the Computer Browser service with it - which will begin to show it's weaknesses depending on your network devices (like routers) and even some apps - that still need the Computer Browser service to be available.

Then there is the PowerShell method. In my testing - I see that I can leave ALL the SMBv1 stuff enabled in Windows 10 (checkbox in the graphic above left on) and then run this command in an admin PS window:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false

Then run this to confirm

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol

This does in fact kill the protocal - while seemingly leaving the Network Browsing capability - unbroken.

So - which is the right method?

Even more crazy - why when I run the Powershell command - does the WIndows SMBv1 feature set remain on? Clearly there is no connection between this command and the Add/Remove Features UI - but if the protocol is in fact off - this seems like a decent compromise - Network browsing still works and the nasty SMBv1 protocol is disabled (I hope).

Thoughts?

Sonic.

:)

SonicMojo, Nov 30, 2018

2. How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

You do not need SMBv1. Go back to where you enabled it and disable it.

*Arrow Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows | Windows 10 Tutorials

Then you can fix your network showing in 1803 with these steps:

You need to set two services to automatic (delayed start):

Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication

Open a Run box, (win key + R) type services.msc and press enter to open the Services List. Scroll down until you find those two. Set them to automatic (delayed start). Then right click and start them both. That PC will now show up.

These two services should run automatically but for some reason they are not in 1803. This has been checked in 1709 and other versions. For some reason they are not running in 1803 but setting them as above will fix the issue of the network showing for you.

Access Denied, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Can not record audio.

Hi,

We suggest that you run troubleshooting for Audio Recording by following these steps:

• Type troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click View all.
    • Select Recording Audio.
    • Follow the steps to troubleshoot Recording Audio.

Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Nov 30, 2018
  4. HRD2 Win User

How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

My small LAN consists of only 2 PCs, my desktop and my notebook, both running Windows 10 Home. There are also various Apple devices, an Amazon device, some home security devices, and an ASUS RT-N56U
    router.

Three days ago, I installed Windows 10 version 1803 on both PCs. Things were fine until yesterday, when my daily backup from my desktop to the notebook hard drive failed. Investigation of my desktop revealed
    that none of the three computers (Windows counts the router as a computer) were appearing under Network in File Explorer; in fact, the Computer category was not even displayed there. However, on the notebook, the computer category was displayed in File Explorer,
    and all three computers were displayed there. I was able to access folders and files in the desktop from the notebook. I ran my IPScanner (from the desktop), and everything looked OK with all devices responding.

After some browsing on the Internet, I found a suggestion that the problem could be caused because SMBv1 was disabled. Using Windows Features in Control Panel, I found that all three entries under "SMB 1.0/CIFS
    File Sharing Support" where indeed disabled (unchecked). I checked the later two boxes ("SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" and "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server"). After rebooting, my LAN worked properly again! I don't know (or much care) how SMBv1 got disabled on my desktop (but not
    on my notebook).

Now subsequent browsing has caused me to discover that SMBv1 has long ago been deprecated by Microsoft, and that it has major security issues and indeed should be disabled. My reading indicates that after
    disabling SMBv1, SMBv3 (or possibly SMBv2) should have kept my LAN working. That did not happen.

Now I am in a quandary: give up my LAN and my daily backup, or continue using SMBv1. If anyone can tell me how to get SMBv3 to take over after disabling SMBv1, I would be most grateful!

Also, does anyone know if my Norton Security (which informs me it is up to date) is offering any protection from the SMBv1 vulnerability?

Thema:

1. Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1 - Similar Threads - Please set record

2. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  3. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  4. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  6. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  7. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

8. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  9. Disabled the search menu despite the correct settings

in Cortana
    Disabled the search menu despite the correct settings: [ATTACH] The search menu is visible but inactive [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabled-the-search-menu-despite-the-correct/c769300c-0f9d-4564-b278-dec26d87663f"
  10. How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?: My small LAN consists of only 2 PCs, my desktop and my notebook, both running Windows 10 Home. There are also various Apple devices, an Amazon device, some home security devices, and an ASUS RT-N56U router. Three days ago, I installed Windows 10 version 1803 on both PCs....