Windows 10: Port Registration / Standard User

Discus and support Port Registration / Standard User in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a work around to allow a user to register ports on the local machine without having full local administrator privileges?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JimOser, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JimOser Win User

Port Registration / Standard User

Is there a work around to allow a user to register ports on the local machine without having full local administrator privileges?

:)

JimOser, Feb 26, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Port Registration / Standard User [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Stuck as standard user

Hi,

Since your account is recognized as a standard user account, you can follow the steps below to change a user account type on Settings:

• Press Windows key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
    • Click on Accounts and select Family & other people.
    • Under people, select the user account, and click Change account type.
    • Select Administrator from the drop down menu, then click
      OK

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Feb 26, 2020
  4. gvannucci Win User

UAC & standard users with additional privileges

I am marking this problem as solved. The problem was:

Allow a standard user to enable/disable a network without having to enter a password every time.

My solution for Windows 7 was:

1. Add the standard user to the "Network Configuration Operators" group.
    2. Login as the standard user.
    3. Create a shortcut to the network adapter.
    4. Right-click on the shortcut to see or change the state of the network adapter.

I have received many useful and instructive suggestions on Tenforums. Based on those suggestions,
    here's my solution for Windows 10:

1. Add the standard user to the "Network Configuration Operators" group.
    2. Login as the standard user.
    3. In a cmd window, run this command
    netsh interface show interface
    to learn the name of the network adapter.
    4. Run Task Scheduler using the password of the standard user.
    5. Create two shortcuts in accordance with Option 2 in this tutorial:
    Elevated Shortcut without UAC - TenForumsTutorials
    -- at Step 3, name the shortcuts something like “EnableLAN” and “DisableLAN”
    -- at Step 7, in the Program/script field, type netsh
    -- at Step 8, into the Add arguments field, type
    interface set interface "name of network adapter" admin=enable
    (Make the last element “disable” for the second task.)
    -- at Step 14, name the shortcuts something like “Turn LAN On” and “Turn LAN Off”
    6. Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog, type ncpa.cpl into Run, and click OK to open the Network Connections window. Keep this window open on your desktop to see the state of the network adapter. The color of the icon reflects the state of the adapter.
    7. Click on one or the other of the two newly-created shortcuts to change the state of the network adapter. A cmd window briefly flashes on the screen. This can be eliminated using the procedure mentioned by Try3 in a previous post, if desired.

The solution for Windows 10 is much more cumbersome than the solution for Windows 7. I have to stop using Windows 7 due to the end of Microsoft support, and this is not the first time that I find Windows 10 to be less user friendly than Windows 7.

Thanks, again, to all who have kindly given me help and advice

gvannucci, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Port Registration / Standard User - Similar Threads - Port Registration Standard

2. Intune Enrollment Standard Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intune Enrollment Standard Users: I am trying to enroll about a 100 systems in Intune. I want the user to be signed in as a standard user. I am told the only way to do this will be using AutoPilot. Thats is just not possible for us to do in a running company. It requires a factory reset device and a hardware...
  3. Intune Enrollment Standard Users

in Windows 10 Customization
    Intune Enrollment Standard Users: I am trying to enroll about a 100 systems in Intune. I want the user to be signed in as a standard user. I am told the only way to do this will be using AutoPilot. Thats is just not possible for us to do in a running company. It requires a factory reset device and a hardware...
  4. Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?: I have performed an initial logon as a standard user. When I check my info under Windows Settings it indicates I am an administrator. I no longer have to authenticate to perform privileged functions. I want to be able to logon as standard user and authenticate to execute...
  5. standard user

standard user: see attachments. when i view my account settings i see that i'm an administrator, but when use control panel/user accounts/change your account type, it seems to think i am already a standard user. the way UAC acts, it seems to think i am an administrator. which is...
  6. standard user log in failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    standard user log in failed: after updating my windows 10 to 1903 version, standard user accounts cannot log in while administrator accounts can. when a standard account try to log in the message appear:The Group Policy Client service failed the logon, accsess denied. then I tried to solve the problem...
  7. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478
  8. Standard User only to Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Standard User only to Login: I have a laptop (Windows 10) that only offers one user to log in. That user is a standard user so I can not change anything. When I go to the command prompt and run net user I have the following accounts: admin Administrator DefaultAccount defaultuser0 Guest Owner...
  9. administrator user changed to standard user

administrator user changed to standard user: I have changed my administrator user to standard user. Know i need to login with admin user. I am using windows 10. There was only administrator user which i have changed to standard user. How can i get back admin user. I also can't open cmd "run as administrator". Showing...
  10. User device registration pc restart?

in Windows 10 Support
    User device registration pc restart?: Hi Recently been having the same problem during gaming, pc will restart it self after failing to load a game. At first it happened with black desert online, it would restart now and again. I tested to see if it was my GPU by lowering the settings in game. It helped abit...