Windows 10: Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders

Discus and support Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is my first post and I figured I'd start in this forum, and apologize if I've chosen incorrectly. Here is my issue: Recently my Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MichaelG7355, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders

This is my first post and I figured I'd start in this forum, and apologize if I've chosen incorrectly.

Here is my issue: Recently my Windows 7 Ultimate machine upgraded itself to Windows 10 with no input from me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that happened since my Users Folder was already on a different drive and everything I read indicated that I should have the user drive on the 'C:' drive before upgrading. Post upgrade I found that I now have two User Folders, one on the C: drive and the original one on the D: drive but have two 'Public' folders, one on C: and one on D:.

This seems to be Okay, as the machine is still working satisfactorily, but this is going to become confusing and I would like to rectify it before it does. My reason for needing to correct this is, when the machine was a Windows 7 Ultimate, I installed an SSD which is rather small (180 GB) and moved the 'SYSTEM' to that drive and moved all the other data to the regular HDD (2 TB), which is partitioned as two slaved drives 'D and E', one for User Data (D) and the other for Programs (E) and I want to continue that setup which up to this point has worked perfectly for my current needs.

So that end, I would like to do the following, but am unsure as how to proceed.

I would like to do a 'Clean Install of Windows 10' and move the 'Users Folder' to Drive D in the process.

I have read both tutorials on doing a Clean Install and Moving the Users Folder but have encountered some issues and do not want to proceed until I have a clear answer on how to proceed.

In the 'Moving the Users Folder the tutorial mentions using the 'Install.wim' file to create an answerfile for sysprep. However, after using the Microsoft Media Tool to create an 'ISO' image I find that there is no 'install.wim' file but instead only an 'install.esd' file. I read that changing the selection in the tool from 'USB' to 'Create media for a new computer' should result in an 'install.wim' file, but investigation after the 'ISO' file creation still shows an 'install.esd' file, so I'm not sure exactly how to handle this matter. I know that I need to create an answer file, etc., but in this case I'm at a stopping point without further guidance.

So that's the situation, I need to perform a 'Clean Install of Windows 10' on my machine which has already been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 and in the process I need to have the Users Folder moved to another drive in order to ensure that all of my files are preserved.

Thanks in advance for any assistance from the talented individuals on this website and forum that you may be able to provide.

:)

MichaelG7355, Dec 13, 2015
  2. mixersoft Win User

How do I migrate a Windows 7 User to a Windows 10 clean install

When I installed Win7, I moved my users folder to a different partition using

mklink /J U:/Users C:/Users

Before I did my Win10 free upgrade, I reversed the process so that my actual Users folders were untouched. (NOTE: this was required because the Win10 free upgrade kept giving me errors with the windows junction in place) Then I
    reversed the upgrade and did a clean Win10 install in a new partition so I could dual boot. Everything works fine at the moment, but the Win10 install points to a generic C:\Users folder

I would like to migrate my Win7 Users data/folder to Win10
    in a different partition, but I am not sure how to best accomplish this goal.

• simple 'mklink /J C:/Users U:/Users'? (same as Win7?)
    • relocate the Users/Documents folder to point to the same location in Win7?
    • is there an official migration utilitiy?
    • other approach?
    Do I have to add the SAME Win7 users to Win10 before doing so?

mixersoft, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade with user folder on a different drive.

I have windows 8.1 system files and executables on an SSD and the user folder is located on a different drive. i did this by doing a clean install of windows 8.1 and then moved the user folder over to D drive before I even created an account. Can I just
    upgrade my computer with the configuration I have or do I need to do a clean install and then move the user folder the way I did it in windows 8.1?

WantWin8.1towork, Dec 13, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders

Hi MichaelG7355 and welcome to Tenforums.

I can answer the above question by pointing you to a very good tutorial on how to create the install.wim from the install.esd here:

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

If you have any questions about that procedure, you can post directly in that thread, and @Kari, the author will have an answer for you, I'm sure.

simrick, Dec 13, 2015
Thema:

Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders

1. Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders - Similar Threads - Post Win10 Upgrade

2. Moving user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  3. Problem With Moving User Folder During Clean Install Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem With Moving User Folder During Clean Install Win 10: Asus M5A7-R2.0 AMD 4300 Processor 16 gig RAM 1 SSD Win 10 OS C: 1 HD Basic Data D: 1 HD Dynamic Data I Built this PC for my wife several years ago. Originally had the Win 7 OS on the SSD and the user folder on the HD D: created with a fresh install of Win 7 using sysprep and...
  4. Moving User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving User Folders: I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I doing something with in my relocate.xml file? I would like to have my profiles drive; D:\Alowicious D:\Cinderella...
  5. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  6. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  7. Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install: Hi All, I've recently setup a clean install of Win10 onto a new system. Prior to this I backed up my 'Users' folder from the old setup (also Win10) onto my d:\ drive, on a second HDD. Now that the system is up and running, I've noticed that the backup 'Users' folder is...
  8. Need Help with clean Win10 installation, optimization & pure settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help with clean Win10 installation, optimization & pure settings: Ok i come across alot of problems lately Every time i do clean installation its degraded somewhat. The idea is to make my laptop run as good as it gets with those capabilities it have etc. My problem is that since yesterday i didnt know that OS remembers settings in...
  9. Changed user folder name on clean install

Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......
  10. If clean install is needed

If clean install is needed: Hi I bought a windows 10 laptop removed the drive and fitted SSD drive cloned the original drive,what would happen if for any reason I had to reinstall windows 10 i dont have a product key! Would I need a product key?do i need to keep the original drive with the operating...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install have this folders on c