Windows 10: Power Plan Changes Every Boot

Discus and support Power Plan Changes Every Boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This only started happening after I upgraded motherboard, CPU and clean installed Win 10. I have always set the power plan to performance. Every boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stealth2920, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Power Plan Changes Every Boot

This only started happening after I upgraded motherboard, CPU and clean installed Win 10. I have always set the power plan to performance. Every boot or restart, the plan will revert back to the balance plan. I can't find any settings that would do this. I even created a plan and again reverted back to balance at reboot.

:)

stealth2920, Jan 8, 2018
  2. OneOption0, Jan 8, 2018
  3. in-finite-CCO, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Power Plan Changes Every Boot

This could be cause by either startup program or service please perform a clean boot state to find out if this is the case.

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your antivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the
    Power Plan Changes Every Boot [​IMG]
    keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

7. Click on Apply then OK

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8. Divide the number of these startup services and programs by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9. If the problem doesn't return in those services and programs remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and programs and restart the computer.

10. When you find which half the service or program is in go on to the next step.

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service. Do the same for the programs. Restart the computer.

12. If it isn't in the first half of these services and programs, do the same with the last half of the services and programs.

13. Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services and programs remove the checks one at a time till you find the service or program at fault.

Once you have found the service or program post it in your topic. Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

FreeBooter, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Well the issue still exists with all services disabled. So I assume it's related to something else.

stealth2920, Jan 8, 2018
  6. FreeBooter, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Doing the force Windows option fixed the problem. All power plans are grayed out except High Performance. Not sure there was any difference between plans but I have always run the high performance plan and wasn't happy that I couldn't keep the plan I wanted on every boot. Thanks a lot for all your help.

stealth2920, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Power Plan Changes Every Boot

You are very welcome!

Thanks for the rep!

FreeBooter, Jan 8, 2018
  9. hiphopper Win User
    This is clearly a recent problem with a Windows update. I just got a new Dell XPS and it experienced the same problem. It kept switching the Power settings to the Power Saver setting, which is really annoying on a Desktop. I ended up going through the Windows 10 trouble shooter for Power Settings and then setting to the plan I wanted and it has stuck since then.

Warning the Troubleshooter is brain dead and just sets you to the annoying Power Saver, as if it is what we all would pick. Still it seems to do something so that after you change the settings to what you want it behaves properly.

hiphopper, Jan 8, 2018
  10. Djinn252 Win User
    Djinn252, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Thanks but the issue has been solved.

stealth2920, Jan 8, 2018
  12. Eksy61 Win User
    I had a similar thing happen with my PC. It turned out that the AI Suite fan control software provided with my ASUS motherboard was constantly resetting my power plan to Balanced in order to be consistent with the power saving profile for the fans. It was easy to see that in Event Viewer.

So check Event Viewer to see what is resetting your power plan to Balanced.

Eksy61, Jan 10, 2018
  13. Power Plan Changes Every Boot

Again thanks but the issue was solved by free booter.

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Power Plan Changes Every Boot

1. Power Plan Changes Every Boot - Similar Threads - Power Plan Changes

2. Automatic Change of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Change of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  3. Automatic Change of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  4. Automatic Change Of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change Of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  5. Can't Change the Power Plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Change the Power Plan: Hi, as seen in the two pictures below, I can't change the current power settings, as the apply button is always grayed out. I tried it by uninstalling the chipset drivers' power plan, I can't make changes between windows settings either. After certain research I also reset...
  6. Can't Change the Power Plan

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Change the Power Plan: Hi, as seen in the two pictures below, I can't change the current power settings, as the apply button is always grayed out. I tried it by uninstalling the chipset drivers' power plan, I can't make changes between windows settings either. After certain research I also reset...
  7. Can't Change the Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Power plan changing after each (re)boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power plan changing after each (re)boot: The power plan changes to "High performance" after each boot, and it is unnecessary to have my cpu running at it's max turbo speed while watching YouTube for example. If I set it to balanced, it will change back the next time I turn on my computer. How can I fix this?...
  9. Power plan keeps changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power plan keeps changing: So this has been happening for a couple of weeks now, but it was tolerable. I was just playing Hades (with the best build I ever had, right before the boss I could never beat) and Windows decided that the "Balanced" power plan would replaced my "High Performance" plan that I...
  10. power plan is changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power plan is changing: My laptop is set to never sleep. However, sometimes it actually goes to sleep. But the issue is that when it awakes, Windows changes my power plan. Any assistance is appreciated....