Windows 10: Prep for Donating My Computer

Discus and support Prep for Donating My Computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What can I do to protect myself before donating my computer? *Smile 48195 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HDK W10, Apr 22, 2016.

1. HDK W10 Win User

Prep for Donating My Computer

What can I do to protect myself before donating my computer?
    *Smile

:)

HDK W10, Apr 22, 2016

2. I would like to know how to completely wipe my computer clean.I have got a new laptop and wish to donate this one.

This sounds great. Are you looking for a charity to donate the machine to?

Frederik Long, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Can't get past Prepping Device to install Windows 10

Notified that Windows 10 was ready to install but when I click OK, let's continue, what's suppose to be a 10 second prep of my computer just keeps running and running. Anyone have an idea why? It shows it's been downloaded but I can't get past that Prepping
    Device.

Ron C 1943, Apr 22, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 22, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    If you did real sensitive stuff, like banking and other very important things with your computer, then I suggest you take the hdd out and smash it up ,donate it with out the hdd...100% safest way

caperjack, Apr 22, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I would download a ISO of Windows 10 to a external HDD. Then I would use a program to securely erase all files on the HDD with the OS. I have used a program called Eraser. Then I would do a clean install of Windows 10 in a local account. If you have very sensitive data on your HDD then I would take the HDD out and donate the computer like that or replace the HDD with a drive that doesn't have any personal info.

Winuser, Apr 23, 2016
  7. HDK W10 Win User
    The whole purpose of this exercise is to wipe clean my C: drive and restore the Windows 10 OS so I will be protected when I sell my PC. I think the new owner should be entitled to an OS but I don't want my personal files available to them. This is my plan:
    • I will create a Windows 10 System Image file on an external HDD F: It will not contain any personal data files or purchased software.
    • I will then create a System Restore CD.
    • If I reformat my HDD C: (to wipe it clean), how do I restore the System Image File I created on F:? I'm concerned with how the computer knows where to boot from.
    I'm not really familiar with the in-workings of Windows 10 or if 'reformat' will actually wipe-clean the C: drive.

Thanx in advance for any help I can use.

HDK W10, Apr 24, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

no ,just doing a regular format is not enough security, the files are still there waiting to be over written by new files,and can easily found with software by the new owner .. , either use one of the secure tool mentioned above of remove and replace the drive with another one if you are really concerned

caperjack, Apr 24, 2016
  9. RolandJS Win User
    Before considering removing hard-drive, DBAN is just one utility of many that can secure-wipe hard-drive. I seriously doubt the new owner will be geekish enough to be able to smoke out anything after the entire HD has been zero-written from Track 0 to LastTrack.

RolandJS, Apr 24, 2016
  10. HDK W10 Win User
    If I use DBAN instead of Format, does my plan seem to work? I'm still concerned about the "stripped" computer booting from the System Restore CD.
    My objective is too turn my old PC over to someone with the hard drive containing Windows 10 and nothing else.

HDK W10, Apr 24, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it was me...
    Since I have a Windows 10 install USB that boots into Kyhi's recovery drive, I would wipe the hard drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard's utility for secure erasing the hard drive, do a clean install of Windows 10, create a local administrator account called TempAdmin with no password. Make sure all the drivers are installed and the hardware is working correctly (at least no exclamation points or unknown devices in device manager). Create a system recovery DVD if the computer has a DVD burner and sell it that way.

NavyLCDR, Apr 24, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Just wipe the drive or do like I do and give it a brand new harddrive and keep the old one.

bro67, Apr 24, 2016
  13. RolandJS Win User

Yes, your plan, as outlined earlier, if using DBAN in place of even full-format, will work. Again, I think the new owner will be too busy putting his/her own software and data-stuff to even care about what used to be on the hard-drive your stuff to launch extensive sector by sector reconstruction.

RolandJS, Apr 24, 2016
  14. HDK W10 Win User
    How do I get my copy of Windows OS onto the new HDD? I don't have the original CD?

HDK W10, Apr 24, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
Thema:

1. Prep for Donating My Computer - Similar Threads - Prep Donating Computer

2. Donating my PC to a club

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Donating my PC to a club: I want to donate my PC to a social club of which I am a member. I can delete all files and do a Factory Reset and so on, but what do I do about installing Windows 10 on it and how much does it cost?...
  3. donate device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    donate device: What should I do because I want to donate this laptop to charity but I don't want them to steal my personal information of my business which is confidential. What is the confidential-est way to do this and how? I am not good with tech so you will have to run me through...
  4. Preparing to donate old computer

Preparing to donate old computer: I have purchased a new computer and want to know if I clean delete all personal information from the older one, will it have any impact on the new computer?...
  5. Donating/Selling Computer & Microsoft Store Library

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Donating/Selling Computer & Microsoft Store Library: After a clean install or any of the methods Microsoft has to clean the HDD and reinstall Windows the Microsoft Store My Library always shows all the previous Apps that were pre-installed by Microsoft and Apps I personally used and or tried ,sure they can be hidden but also...
  6. Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?

in Windows 10 Support
    Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?: Hi all, This community has become a very important and integral part of my life. Knowing this, I feel like making a donation would be the right thing to do. I've asked this in the past, but I thought things may have changed. Thank you. 166524
  7. Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold: I have an old PC on which I have installed a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 (Version 2004 OS Build 19041.450) while connected to my Microsoft account, and I have run a utility to securely erase all unused space on the disk. I plan to donate or sell the PC, and I...
  8. Donating PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Donating PC: I plan to give away my PC, but want to remove all personal data before ding so, including the connection to OneDrive. Best way to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/donating-pc/118d7f87-1257-4007-8cb9-e9dc5d229bec
  9. I completely wiped my computer in prep for sale

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I completely wiped my computer in prep for sale: I completely wiped my computer in prep for sale. Now it doesn't even have the drivers to get it to down load windows where do I get these drivers....
  10. Need help prepping old computer for donation

Need help prepping old computer for donation: I have an old Gateway MT6707 laptop. It started life with Windows Vista. It's been through every new version of Windows, to include Windows 10 Home. Microsoft surprised me by installing it overnight back when they were giving it away. A couple of years ago, I gave it a new...