Windows 10: Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked

Discus and support Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friend overseas has asked me to help with this, but I have found nothing relevant in Google - since it is NOT on MY computer, there will be delay... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sebastian42, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked

A friend overseas has asked me to help with this, but I have found nothing relevant in Google - since it is NOT on MY computer, there will be delay before I can report the results of any tried remedies. It's in 64xWin10Prov1903.

:)

Sebastian42, Apr 9, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 9, 2020
  3. opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Apr 9, 2020
  4. Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked

No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked

1. Prevent Device Manager from opening when a desktop icon is clicked - Similar Threads - Prevent Device Manager

2. How to fix opening Computer Management from Right Clicking ThisPC on desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix opening Computer Management from Right Clicking ThisPC on desktop?: Do not respond with answers to fix this I already know what caused it and how to fix it.I am posting this as just one example, of many, as to why I now run Linux for my daily driver, will NEVER upgrade to Win11 or 12Cloud PC for the love of god-buy thousands of dollars for MY...
  3. How to fix opening Computer Management from Right Clicking ThisPC on desktop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix opening Computer Management from Right Clicking ThisPC on desktop?: Do not respond with answers to fix this I already know what caused it and how to fix it.I am posting this as just one example, of many, as to why I now run Linux for my daily driver, will NEVER upgrade to Win11 or 12Cloud PC for the love of god-buy thousands of dollars for MY...
  4. How to prevent the desktop icons from moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent the desktop icons from moving: Hello- Windows 11 Lenovo 14 inch laptop Many people have asked this question and are getting the wrong answer. Desktop Icons scatter when moving laptop to different monitor. The solutions that have been offered are not a fix. The instruction to right-click the blank spot on...
  5. How to prevent the desktop icons from moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent the desktop icons from moving: Hello- Windows 11 Lenovo 14 inch laptop Many people have asked this question and are getting the wrong answer. Desktop Icons scatter when moving laptop to different monitor. The solutions that have been offered are not a fix. The instruction to right-click the blank spot on...
  6. Prevent icons from being added to desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent icons from being added to desktop?: I keep getting icons for Internet Explorer, Outlook, etc added to my desktop. Where can I disable this? Creating a schedule task to delete them isn't a great option since they get added back a few minutes later. version 1909 (build 18363.657) 154994
  7. How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent the start menu from closing when a shortcut or icon is executed by clicking?: I don't have icons on my desktop as I keep them all in the start menu since I like it that way. However, it becomes a little annoying to hit start, open browser, hit start, open program, hit start, open program, hit start, etc I want the start menu to stay open till hit start...
  8. Desktop windows manager prevents from opening a session on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop windows manager prevents from opening a session on Windows 10: Hi all! I hope you will find a solution to my problem as usual :-) First, my config: Asus UX310UQ Windows 10 (1809) Version 17763.253 For a long time now (even before upgrading to 1809), it is impossible for me to simply turn my laptop on and start working. I can enter my...
  9. Error Message when Clicking Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Message when Clicking Desktop Icons: When my Desktop came up upon booting, when I clicked on Icons, I was getting a message stating 'token cannot be accessed', instead of activating the icon. I believe there was an update being installed. After powering off the machine, and back on, everyting seems fine. Any...
  10. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons: Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a...