Windows 10: Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?

Discus and support Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to stop the power icon (or settings, file explorer etc) from expanding out to the side when my mouse hovers over it for half a second?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mkr10001, Dec 30, 2019.

1. mkr10001 Win User

Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?

Is there a way to stop the power icon (or settings, file explorer etc) from expanding out to the side when my mouse hovers over it for half a second?

I know that's the power button, that's why I've put my mouse there, the fact it expands itself out means more often than not my click doesn't get registered and I need to click it again.

on 1909

:)

mkr10001, Dec 30, 2019

2. Is it possible to make the Start Menu in Windows 10 the Expanded one by default?

What you called background "list" is actually the list of applications in your first screenshot, so it is not empty as you said, it's just hidden behind the expanded menu. There is no setting in Windows 10 to make the expanded menu as default, but there is a setting for the list of applications. If you don't want to see it, follow there steps:

• Go to Settings > Personalization > Start
    • Disable Show app list in Start menu

Racil Hilan, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Cursus Win User
    Start Bar not working after update install in Windows 10

Hi, tried as you suggest. It starts and says Checking application registration... and the green progress bar just goes on and on (let it run for over two hours) and never gets to the next step. Any other suggestions?

Cursus, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?

Preventing Recently Added apps on Start Menu from Auto Deletion

Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 seems to automatically clear so it can give room for newcomers after some period. But I want the items in the list to never get auto-deleted so when I expand the list, I can scroll through all of my installed apps over time. How can I accomplish this?

Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out? [​IMG]

Manasan3010, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?

1. Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out? - Similar Threads - Prevent Start Menu

2. Start Menu side bar got smaller?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu side bar got smaller?: [ATTACH] I have some problem that the side bar in the start menu with the power options, settings ect got smaller. Im pretty sure the icons on it got smaller too. Im not sure what happened all i did was install Sniper Elite 3 and now its like this. Does anyone know what i...
  3. start menu right side doesn't show and is blank when expanded

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu right side doesn't show and is blank when expanded: in my start menu the right side doesn't show when I open it and when I expand it I don't have any live tiles or apps, it just shows as blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-right-side-doesnt-show-and-is-blank/9a83b643-6424-4c89-9ed1-1f88047f3146
  4. start menu auto expand.

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu auto expand.: Does any one know how to enable the new start menu auto-expand side icons? link to feature article: https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/1...ane-behaviour/ thanx in advance! 131510
  5. Start menu side shrunk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu side shrunk.: Not sure where to post this. I opened the Start button > found the entire left side of Start Menu has been shrunk. See screenshot below. How do I put it back to normal ? I have tried the icons on the left side but they are not what I need to fix it. [img] 125708
  6. remove side bars in start

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove side bars in start: When I press Start, 2/3 of the screen is taken up by icons under the headings of Create, Explore. How do I get rid of those irrelevant, space and time wasting, obscuring windows? Also annoying is the scroll bar which disappears and has to be found then clicked to reappear....
  7. Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded: I don't get a clickable All Programs in Start, instead I get an expanded list of everything. I've probably clicked some option somewhere. The Most Often Used list is also weird - e.g. I use Notepad++ much more than I use Sigil. I'd like to get back to having a collapsed...
  8. Expand the start menu (left side)

in Windows 10 Support
    Expand the start menu (left side): Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles. Thanks. 24456
  9. How to Expand the left side of Start (by default)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Expand the left side of Start (by default): In Start Menu, on the left there is an expand button, but how can I make it expanded by default (thus hiding that ridiculous huge list of apps by letter) Thanks in advance. 68969
  10. How to expand/contract start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to expand/contract start menu: Hi all. I was able to expand/contract the width and height of the statmenu. Now only height is expandable. I do NOT want full screen. The expand arrows show when I put cursor on right edge but am not able to "pull" edge to right to expand the size. Did the recent "major...