Windows 10: Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft.

Discus and support Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently purchased a used computer with Windows 10 Home on it. It has a primary account on it and I presume it is registered with Microsoft. I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stargazer1942, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft.

I recently purchased a used computer with Windows 10 Home on it. It has a primary account on it and I presume it is registered with Microsoft. I want to eliminate it and put my own account on it with no association with its previous owner. What are the steps to accomplish this? I am also considering upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

:)

Stargazer1942, Feb 22, 2019

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Feb 22, 2019
  3. Changing Primary Microsoft Account on Windows 10 PC

Hi Zahra,

Since the Microsoft account was registered in our database as your online credentials, you can still use it to your other devices in the future. This means that you can remove the
    Microsoft account login on your laptop without deactivating it.

In order to set a new primary Microsoft account on your computer, you will need to remove all linked accounts first.

To do this, follow these steps: Press Windows + I to open
    Settings
    , then go to “Your email and accounts”. Select the account that you want to sign out and click
    Remove.

After removing all, add them again. Set the desired account first to make it the primary account. Then continue adding all other child profiles under your primary account.

Let us know if you need more help.

Johann Eva, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft.

Transferring Ownership of Desktop to a Family Member

Thanks for providing the details we requested. Since you're using a Microsoft account as the primary sign-in on the laptop that you will transfer ownership to, we suggest that you create a separate Microsoft account for the new owner if they don't have one
    yet. Also, do take note that if the laptop was set up with your Microsoft account the digital license for the Windows 10 OS is tied to your account.

Since the disc and product key of the Microsoft Office 2010 suite is still available, what you can do is to reinstall the software and have her fill in the details during the setup process. This also applies if you would like to transfer the ownership of
    the Microsoft Office 2013 suite that you currently are not using.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft.

1. Primary account and ownership of laptop and registering it with Microsoft. - Similar Threads - Primary account ownership

2. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  3. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  4. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Ownership of Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Ownership of Account: Somehow my 17 year old son managed to replace his Gmail account as the owner of my profile file on my home computer. To sign into to get to my files I now have to use his Gmail and password. All he admits to is doing is setting up a one note account so that he could print an...
  6. Ownership of Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ownership of Account: Somehow my 17 year old son managed to replace his Gmail account as the owner of my profile file on my home computer. To sign into to get to my files I now have to use his Gmail and password. All he admits to is doing is setting up a one note account so that he could print an...
  7. Register device with Microsoft account.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Register device with Microsoft account.: Is there any benefit to registering my desktop PC as a device in my Microsoft account? Is there any way to do this without creating a Microsoft account on the local PC? 175892
  8. Register device with Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Register device with Microsoft account.: Is there any benefit to registering my desktop PC as a device in my Microsoft account? Is there any way to do this without creating a Microsoft account on the local PC? 175892
  9. Registering Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registering Microsoft Account: This has to be a common problem. I am setting up a new computer with Microsoft. I do not live in the U.S. but my official address is in the States. That includes what I use for my U.S. bank account. I entered all billing info correctly. e.g. credit card #, etc. My credit...
  10. Microsoft Account primary alias

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Account primary alias: How do I change my Microsoft account primary alias? I am currently blocked from changing it. It is a personal account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-primary-alias/578b7a78-249f-4040-b056-c2ca4cb18c8c"