Windows 10: Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

Discus and support Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC How to Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC A processor or central processing unit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

How to: Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

How to Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

A processor or central processing unit (CPU), is the electronic circuitry within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetic, logic, controlling, and input/output (I/O) operations specified by the instructions.

A multi-core processor is a computer processor integrated circuit with two or more separate processing units, called cores (aka: physical cores), which each read and execute program instructions, as if the computer had several processors.

Some CPUs can virtualize two cores for every one physical core that's available, a technique known as Hyper-Threading (aka: logical processors). For example, if your CPU has 6 physical cores, it will show as having 12 logical processors with Hyper-Threading.

The clock speed of a processor is the number of instructions it can process in any given second, measured in gigahertz (GHz).

See also: Windows Processor Requirements | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you different ways to check what processor or CPU is in your Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Task Manager
    • Option Two: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Settings
    • Option Three: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Control Panel
    • Option Four: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in System Information (msinfo32)
    • Option Five: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag)
    • Option Six: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Device Manager
    • Option Seven: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Command Prompt
    • Option Eight: Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Check What Graphics Card or GPU is in PC in Task Manager
    *note This options is only available in Windows 10.
    1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

2. In the Performance tab, you will see the CPU name and details for your computer. (see screenshot below)

Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Settings
    *note This options is only available in Windows 10.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on About on the left side. (see screenshot below).

3. You will now see the Processor name and details for your computer under Device specifications on the right side.

OPTION THREE [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

2. You will now see the Processor name and details for your computer under the System section.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in System Information (msinfo32)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type msinfo32 into Run, and click/tap on OK to open System Information.

2. In System Summary in the left pane, you will see the Processor name and details for your computer. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type dxdiag into Run, and click/tap on OK to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

2. In the System tab, you will see the Processor name and details for your computer. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Device Manager
    1. Open Device Manager.

2. Expand open Processors. (see screenshot below)

3. Under Processors, you will see the processor name and details for your computer. The CPU will be listed by the number of its logical processors.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in Command Prompt
    1. Open a Command Prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow wmic path win32_Processor get Name,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors
    3. You will now see the processor name and details for your computer.

OPTION EIGHT [/i] Check What Processor or CPU is in PC in PowerShell
    1. Open a PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-WmiObject win32_Processor
    3. You will now see the processor name and details for your computer.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 21, 2018
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

CPU / CPU Processor problems / Processor affinity

We appreciate the information you provided. Your processor is working as expected. CPU affinity is only showing CPU (0) since 1 processor is working at the moment. It's very likely that your computer is using a balanced power plan, so we suggest changing
    your power plan to High Performance by following these steps:

• Right-click Start.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Choose High Performance.

In addition to that, we recommend installing the latest updates to keep your system current and secure. Go to
    Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates.

Some programs may also be automatically launching whenever you boot your computer, affecting the performance. To disable them, follow these steps:

• Right-click your taskbar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • Under the Startup tab, find the programs that you don't need.
    • Right-click the program and choose Disable.

You're also using your computer for a game that was designed to run on an earlier version of Windows, so it's possible that it's slowing down your computer. In this case, use the Compatibility Troubleshooter to find and fix problems with the program using
    these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Troubleshooting and press Enter.
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.
    • Click Next.
    • Choose the program from the list and click Next.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    CPU / CPU Processor problems / Processor affinity

Hi,

It's possible that some of your computer's processors have been disabled, causing this slow performance. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Just to confirm, how many processors are on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type System Information, and press Enter. The processor value depends on your computer, and will show something like Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).
    • Do other programs also show CPU 0 for Processor Affinity?
    • What other applications use up the CPU in Task Manager? Please post a screenshot.
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Is window 10 not compatibal on AMD processor?

Hi Mohdvasim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue. These are the minimum requirements for Window 10.

• 1 GHz or faster processor
    • 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    • Your processor (CPU) must support the following extensions: SSE2, NX, PAE
    • You can Contact your Computer manufacture and check if there are any system updates to be installed.

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Moderate CPU usage, high Processor Queue Length in Perfmon

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If a program is consuming your entire processor, there is a chance that it's not behaving properly. A maxed-out CPU is also a sign of a virus or adware infection, which should be addressed immediately. It could also simply mean that your computer can't
    keep up with what you want to do, and an upgrade may be in order.

1. May I know which processes is using the CPU?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. What is the version of Windows, that you are working with?
    However, I suggest you to follow the below method, and check, if that works.

Method 1: Perform a clean boot and check if the CPU usage is still high.

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well. I recommend you to follow this article

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    , if the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in
    clean boot state and check if the issue reappears. You need to follow the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Disclaimer: A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

I also recommend you to follow the article
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10
    and Check if that work.

Note: Important disclaimer.

• Check for and remove viruses and malware.

Disclaimer: If you have Windows 10, you’ll get the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is on and actively helping to protect your PC by scanning
    for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC. Windows Update downloads updates for Windows Defender automatically to help keep your PC safe and
    protect it from threats.

• Restore your PC from a system restore point.

Disclaimer: While performing these steps, there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

• Reset your PC.

Disclaimer: The backup might take several minutes to finish. Your external drive or network location must have enough free space for all the files that you want to back up. When you
    reset your PC, you can choose whether you want to keep your personal files or remove them, then have Windows reinstalled

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC

1. Check What Processor or CPU is in Windows PC - Similar Threads - Check Processor CPU

2. Check more CPU's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check more CPU's: please test more CPU's for windows 11Regards-Aadibh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-more-cpus/1a5aeb45-0aa9-4a0e-b113-c5467fc75389
  3. Check more CPU's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Check more CPU's: please test more CPU's for windows 11Regards-Aadibh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-more-cpus/1a5aeb45-0aa9-4a0e-b113-c5467fc75389
  4. PC Health Check shows the processor is not compatible. It IS on the list of compatible...

PC Health Check shows the processor is not compatible. It IS on the list of compatible...: My HP desktop meets all requirements for the Windows 11 upgrade but when I run the PC Health Check app it says my processor is not supported. I have gone to the compatibility list on Microsoft and it IS on the list as supported for the upgrade. I have checked that my TPM is...
  5. Incompatible Processor CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incompatible Processor CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHzThat is my CPU that is incompatible for Windows 1, eventhough the PPC is very recently assembled. Is there any work around?...
  6. Incompatible Processor CPU

Incompatible Processor CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHzThat is my CPU that is incompatible for Windows 1, eventhough the PPC is very recently assembled. Is there any work around?...
  7. PC Health Check says my processor is not supported by Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Health Check says my processor is not supported by Windows 11: I have an Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz for which the application says is not supported by Windows 11.Could someone explain why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-health-check-says-my-processor-is-not-supported/589eb242-fffc-4fe9-9555-01406f2c527e
  8. PC Health Check says my processor is not supported by Windows 11

PC Health Check says my processor is not supported by Windows 11: I have an Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz for which the application says is not supported by Windows 11.Could someone explain why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-health-check-says-my-processor-is-not-supported/589eb242-fffc-4fe9-9555-01406f2c527e
  9. Windows 11 - processor is listed as compatible online, but not by PC Health check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - processor is listed as compatible online, but not by PC Health check: Howdy, Has anyone else come across this...I have run PC Health Check to see if my HP Wave is compatible. It failed on account of the processor i5 6400T. However on the processor requirements online, it lists the same processor as BEING compatible. Has anyone else had this...
  10. Windows 11 - processor is listed as compatible online, but not by PC Health check

Windows 11 - processor is listed as compatible online, but not by PC Health check: Howdy, Has anyone else come across this...I have run PC Health Check to see if my HP Wave is compatible. It failed on account of the processor i5 6400T. However on the processor requirements online, it lists the same processor as BEING compatible. Has anyone else had this...