Windows 10: Problem associated with update KB4038788

Discus and support Problem associated with update KB4038788 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi After update KB4038788 I have experienced problems within Lockheed Martin flight simulator (P3D Version 4). Problems associated with this update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by noels7, Oct 8, 2017.

1. noels7 Win User

Problem associated with update KB4038788

Hi

After update KB4038788 I have experienced problems within Lockheed Martin flight simulator (P3D Version 4).
    Problems associated with this update has been well documented on various flightsim flora.

1. 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) installed 9/13/2017
    appears in Settings - Update History. However it does not appear in Uninstall Updates.
    Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected in folder options.
    I have spent hours searching for a solution but have not been successful.

Any advice/assistance to uninstall this update when the above scenario exists would be appreciated.

2. I have another problem that I have noticed within Settings - Windows Update. Update Status when action-ed
    advises e.g. Your device is up to date. Last checked (date). When I then close Settings, reboot, or shutdown
    computer and then re-open Settings, Update Status always shows a date of 9/11/2017, 7:00 AM.
    I have no understanding for this date to continuously appear.

Naturally any assistance/advice to rectify this problem also would be helpful.

Regards

Noel Southam

:)

noels7, Oct 8, 2017
  2. WayneRupp Win User

KB4038788 - was this release even tested at all?

Hi Rob,

I sympathize with the KB4038788 associated dilemmas. I think many of us had minor to major problems with the Sept 2017 Cumulative Update.

Edge crashings were common on many machines. I simply waited a week or so hoping for it to resolve itself, and it did to some degree.....and my device was clean installed/wiped in May 2017.

I don't know if you saw this or not, but MS released a
    KB4043292 HERE for certain problems from the KB4038788 update. It must be manually downloaded HERE

Enjoyed your post.

Wayne

WayneRupp, Oct 8, 2017
  3. joeyfjj Win User
    Update KB4038788 causes issues with app readiness

A persistent black screen on login is a known issue[1] for the update KB4038788.

There is a workaround provided in the associated article[2] involving deleting registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications starting with the following strings:

- Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.

- Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.

- Microsoft.VCLibs.

As always with registry editing, **be very careful**, and make a backup export of the affected keys before editing them.

I hope this helps (as opposed to the post above me telling you that Microsoft won't fix this).

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4038788/windows-10-update-kb4038788

[2] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043345

joeyfjj, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Problem associated with update KB4038788

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type following command to uninstall KB4038788 update.

Code: wusa /uninstall /kb:4038788 /quiet[/quote] *Arrow Uninstall Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Does the date changes when you search for latest Windows updates.

FreeBooter, Oct 8, 2017
  5. noels7 Win User
    Hi FreeBooter

Thanks for your reply

1. Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type following command to uninstall KB4038788 update.
    wusa /uninstall /kb:4038788 /quiet
    I hit enter and it automatically goes to back to C:\Windows\system32> prompt and nothing happens.

2. I run wushowhide.diagcab click next ,select unhide (says there are no updates to unhide)
    select hide (don't know what for) list of drivers appears - mainly Intel - no
    mention of KB4038788.

3. Yes the date changes to e.g. today's date and time. Then as I said if I close settings, reboot or shutdown computer
    the next time I open settings -Windows Update the date of 9/11/2017, 7:00 AM now always appears.
    I might have randomly checked for updates on that day but as there were no updates on that day advised your device
    is up to date.

Noel Southam

noels7, Oct 8, 2017
  6. Check see update uninstalled from Control Panel --> Program and Features --> View installed updates

After update uninstalled check for new updates and if one of the update is KB4038788 update use wushowhide.diagcab utility to hide the update.

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

You don't have to worry about the date if Windows Update is working.

FreeBooter, Oct 8, 2017
  7. I have the same problem. I am unsistalling the update. Confirmed that is uninstalled and the the wushowhide.diagcab does not show it as available to hide despite windows shows it available for installation. Unistalling and hiding of KB40404724 which also causes issues is done without issue.

The only updates available for hiding are

Problem associated with update KB4038788 [​IMG]

Any ideas?

olympic260, Oct 8, 2017
  8. noels7 Win User

FreeBooter

1. That was the first thing I did before I investigated further. KB4038788 never was in Control Panel --> Program and
    Features --> View installed updates.

2. I have received further Windows updates on 9/28/2017 and 10/6/2017 and KB4038788 was not among them as
    obviously KB4038788 is still installed. Hence the reason for my original post.

3. Why not worry about the date of 9/11/2017 re-occurring?. It is not the correct date when last update check was
    performed. Obviously something has occurred within Windows or Windows Update function for this to happen.
    That problem/error is what I am attempting to rectify.

Noel Southam

noels7, Oct 8, 2017
  9. To view the Windows Update Standalone Installer event log, follow these steps:
    • Click Start Menu, type event viewer in the Start Search box, and then click Event Viewer in the Programs list. In Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, on the Start screen, type event viewer, click Settings, and then click View event logs under Settings.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    • In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, and then click Setup.

Setup events appear in the middle pane.
    • In the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log.
    • In the Event sources list, click to select the WUSA check box, and then click OK.

You can also execute the wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:4038788 without /quiet switch to view the result of the command.

Repair Windows Update
    Please try below programs one at time.

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

FreeBooter, Oct 9, 2017
  10. You can temporarly pause updates being installed for up to 35 days.

1. Open Settings app. Navigate to Update & security and then Windows Update.

2. Under Update settings section, click Advanced options link. This action will open Advanced update options page.

3. Here, turn on Pause Updates to pause updates that are being downloaded. When you turn on Pause Updates, Windows 10 will pause currently available updates up to 35 days.

We always recommend installing updates as and when they are available. Windows 10 gets fixes and new features via Windows Update and pausing or stopping Windows Update is not recommended unless you want to pause Windows Update for a short while.

FreeBooter, Oct 9, 2017
  11. bo elam Win User
    Hi noel, perhaps you don't see KB4038788 anymore because Windows uninstalled it on its own. I think that's what Windows those for me automatically without me doing anything after I update the computer. If you look at the picture below you ll see that I just installed Octobers update KB4041676 and neither KB4038788 or any Windows update from Sept, August or July appear. I haven't used Disk cleaner, Windows is cleaning up automatically. This is on a new laptop I got on July 8th.

Bo

bo elam, Oct 10, 2017
  12. noels7 Win User
    Freebooter and bo elam

Many thanks to both of you for your assistance.
    Freebooter, in your reply to my last post you included the following:

You can also execute the wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:4038788 without /quiet switch to view the result of the command.
    Without the /quiet switch I have a result which actually says that KB4038788 is not even installed although it was in
    Update History. I have removed that entry in Settings -Update History which leads to the question should I download
    manually KB4038788 and install even though my check for updates updated only today's release KB4041676.

bo elam, you might also be correct in that Windows uninstalled it and as MS is prone to do: only half did the job and left remnants of KB4038788 behind in Settings - Update History.

Now to discover why Update Status always shows a date of 9/11/2017, 7:00 AM

Noel Southam

noels7, Oct 10, 2017
  13. bo elam Win User

I dont see what we see in Settings>Update History as remnants, I see it as History. History of updates that got installed. Look at mine, it goes all the way back to July, there are a few that dont fit in the picture but it goes back to when I upgraded to CU.

Bo

bo elam, Oct 10, 2017
  14. Go check Win User
    Hi,

I also experienced a problem with Lockheed Martin P3D v. 3.3 as a consequence of update KB4038788.

I could not load my flightsim and later learned many others had similar problems. That was about 3 weeks ago. I reported the issue to Microsoft but as yet they have failed to correct it. Luckily I found a tip on the LM forum which I can use to get the sim up and running. It may not work for everyone!

Anyway that is no excuse for system crashing due to "faulty" updates or indeed for such a waiting time to put the matter right.

Updates are forced upon users with no simple means of permanently deleting them. I would urge Microsoft to take a more urgent view of such matters reported to them by users. I detect their is some anxiety about numerous updates causing a variety of serious issues.

Microsoft please note. Thank you.

Regards

Go check, Oct 10, 2017
  15. I thought you wanted to uninstall KB4038788 update if you want to reinstall it try doing it manually.

FreeBooter, Oct 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Problem associated with update KB4038788 - Similar Threads - Problem associated update

2. "File Explorer" association problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "File Explorer" association problem: When I open "any" personal folder, said process opens an App instead, and not "file explorer". So I uninstall that app, reboot, and now when I open "any" personal folder, it opens in some new app, and not "file explorer". So I uninstall that app, reboot, and now opening...
  3. Problem with Associate files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with Associate files: I have installed in my PC Samsung's SideSync which connects my smartphone with my PC Windows 10. By mistake, I associated the exe file of Side Sync with Cerious Thumbplus software. When SideSync opens, the software Thumbplus opens twice. I tried RESET DEFAULT APP but the...
  4. Cannot update to KB4038788 on new desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot update to KB4038788 on new desktop: Hi, I've been having a problem with windows update as of late, I can get the update just fine but then after it reboots my PC attempting to install fails saying "fatal error something-something dll" and restarts my PC reverting me back it's so frustrating because on my...
  5. Any way to transfer/copy KB4038788 to my other Win 10 system

Any way to transfer/copy KB4038788 to my other Win 10 system: I have a 12GB monthly cap. These cumulative updates are killing me. I have KB4038788 in my laptop but my wireless networked desktop pc does not. Through advanced options I have both computers set to share updates. I have metered connection set to on on the desktop pc that has...
  6. Windows Update KB4038788

Windows Update KB4038788: How long did KB4038788 take to install on your systems? It has taken mine forever to download the update. It's not just my new one, it's all of my computers. 93382
  7. KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard: The topic was addressed here; but, apparently breezed over due to a prevalent discussion. Hello. This KB4034674 breaks the merc stealth keyboard software and driver. Has been reported worldwide by every merc stealth "active" user (yes, we are few people). The problem is...
  8. KB4038788 install failure

KB4038788 install failure: Over the last few days I've installed KB4038788 on 3 Dell Desktops. Not the smoothest update but I was ultimately successful. This morning I've been trying unsuccessfully to update a Dell Inspiron laptop, i5 with 8GB running Win 10 Home. First attempt resulted in a...
  9. KB4038788 Would Not Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4038788 Would Not Install: KB4038788 would not download nor install on my Asus portable. After trying many fixes, clean hard drive, trying to stop wuauserv, download the KB and manually install I finally was able to download and install after the following. Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter which...
  10. Cumulative Update KB4038788 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.608

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4038788 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.608: UPDATE 9/25: Cumulative Update KB4040724 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.632 - Windows 10 Forums September 12, 2017 - KB4038788 (OS Build 15063.608) Improvements and fixes This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being...
Tags: