Windows 10: Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login

Discus and support Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just built a new PC, with full Windows 10 Home license from Microsoft website. The only account is an initially local account. After some effort, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RickRydgren, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login

Just built a new PC, with full Windows 10 Home license from Microsoft website. The only account is an initially local account. After some effort, I was able to associate my Microsoft account with this local account. For example, Microsoft OneDrive shows up, along with my preferred screen background. However, when I turn the PC on, it jumps straight into Windows without asking for my user ID and password. For security, I would like the PC to be password-protected. When I click to use Microsoft account in place of local account, I enter my e-mail and Microsoft password, and then it asks for the password again. The second time I enter the correct password, but it says "The password you entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again." What am I doing wrong?

:)

RickRydgren, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Darshan J Win User

Windows 10 - Trying to convert local to Microsoft account - getting "account already exists" error

Hello James,

To convert local account to Microsoft account follow the steps below.

• Logout from your existing Microsoft account, login using local account.
    • Make sure your connected to internet.
    • click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.
    [*]This will help you to convert local account to Microsoft account.
    [*]Get back to us if you are still unable to convert the account so we can further troubleshoot the issue.
    [*]

Darshan J, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Mindweaver, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login

Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

Thema:

Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login

1. Problem converting local account to Microsoft account login - Similar Threads - Problem converting local

2. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  3. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  4. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  6. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  7. Problem with converted account to Microsoft account login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Problem with converted account to Microsoft account login: Hi, I was testing some things, and accidentally deleted my local account, then logged out, then was unable to log back in with Microsoft account credentials. I messed up, because I had forgot that my local account was converted over to a Microsoft account. This is an UnRaid...
  8. Problem with converted account to Microsoft account login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with converted account to Microsoft account login: Hi, I was testing some things, and accidentally deleted my local account, then logged out, then was unable to log back in with Microsoft account credentials. I messed up, because I had forgot that my local account was converted over to a Microsoft account. This is an UnRaid...
  9. Problem with converted account to Microsoft account login

10. Local account converted to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account converted to Microsoft account: I just signed up for office 365 family. the PC was set up with a local account which I used to sign on. Say user name is guest and password is ######. I opened I opened office.com sign in and started using office apps. Now my local logon is attached to my Microsoft...