Windows 10: Problem with Advanced Power Settings

Discus and support Problem with Advanced Power Settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i do keep it off the vents, and it blows air like it should. i have had the laptop for several months. I did read somewhere the max temp is 105c but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015.

1. MikeJ Win User

Problem with Advanced Power Settings

i do keep it off the vents, and it blows air like it should. i have had the laptop for several months. I did read somewhere the max temp is 105c but don't think its true. Snapshots here
    Problem with Advanced Power Settings [​IMG]

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  2. MikeJ Win User

My hopes were to turn down the processor power management down to about 80% but i can't get the link to open.

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    What i was going to ask about again, with Laptop there is only certain changes can be made with Power options, usually won't have High Performance options for them, mostly basic options. As i look at HWMonitor i see as you told me, running hot.Even Hard Drive in 50c. Voltage i am not familiar with on a laptop but seems right at 11.v.
    Not sure if this is related reasons can not open power options and heat. What caught my eye on this post was the heat issues.
    Any kind of warranty with people this was bought from or technical support ?

jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  4. MikeJ Win User

yes i have a 3 month warranty.. I would take it back but right now i am in Massachusetts and not in North Carolina, where i bought it. It probably was overheating the whole time, but i didn't check the temps until last week. Just
    wondering why it hasn't melted down yet!

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Won't meltdown because it will shutoff when it reaches it's max temps allowed by CPU. Wanted to know if you did have a warranty. Can't say if resetting the laptop will solve heat issue, maybe the power options issues.

For power options issues can try these commands and see if it helps

(admin) command prompt type this exactly and press enter let it finish
    sfc /scannow

Same open command prompt copy and paste this press enter let it finish
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

reboot after

jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  6. MikeJ Win User
    MikeJ, Nov 8, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    This one i posted was shown by Intel sitehttp://ark.intel.com/products/37255/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T6600-2M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

Understanding from T Junction you see from this web page is
    Tjunction Max is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before thermal throttling is activated. Thermal throttling happens when the processor exceeds the maximum temperature. The processor shuts itself off in order to prevent permanent damage. Tjunction Max (Tj Max) is also referred to as TCC Activation Temperature in certain processor datasheets.

Or believe will damage thermal seal between the cpu and heatsink. Again do not think corrupt system files are solving this issue just Power options issue not working

jds63, Nov 8, 2015
  8. MikeJ Win User

I ran sfc /scannow 3 times. rebooted in between. then i ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Here are the results *Shock I also have a copy of the log

MikeJ, Nov 8, 2015
  9. MikeJ Win User
    After messing around some, i am finding other links within Windows that are not working

MikeJ, Nov 8, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    For System file checker error :
    Right Click Start Menu, type services.msc and press Enter.
    Look down the list for Windows Modules Installer make sure it is set to manual.

DISM Error 87 may be due to putting it in wrong.

It is looking more like need to repair this install. Windows 10 came on this when you bought it used. correct ? Either try Recovery options to reset the laptop without loosing any files. I do not know if upgrade was most likely done first as it is an older laptop, it should of been done first as you had to, to be activated then.

Option # 2 since i believe it is not UEFI BIOS Reset Windows 10

Also suggest if you do not already have to make a disc or USB Bootable Flash Drive, good to have.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

jds63, Nov 8, 2015
  11. MikeJ Win User
    I went and reinstalled Windows 10, fresh install. Corrected all errors. I had very little on the hard drive so it was no loss. Went into power options, set on Balanced on Power plan by default.. Left it there and went into Advanced Power settings and set Maximum processor state at 90%. Max temp now is 70c, 30 degree drop. I also tried the high performance plan, but temps did not go down even changing the processor state to 80%.

Not positive but I think there may be a bad sector on the hard drive, for now its running perfect. Thank you for all your help and advice.. I feel much better now lol *Smile

MikeJ, Nov 8, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Wondering what the default is for these settings as i am not familiar with using them and i have a Desktop set to High Performance and both my Min. and Max are at 100%. For you with a Laptop these settings will make a difference in performance, heat and battery usage. Not sure of your understanding of these settings. Say Max 70c when playing a movie ? Again not so intense graphics, i feel laptops tends to run hotter then Desktops. Might want to try 100% Max processor state. Read some of these articles or look up on it, although these are older articles still basically same.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ing-windows-7/
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/proces...gement-windows

I knew Power options not functioning had nothing to do with heat issues. If i was you i would keep using the free version of either HWMonitor or other similar software to keep on eye on all system temps. Your Welcome, hope all stays good.

jds63, Nov 8, 2015
  13. MikeJ Win User

My minimum processor state is set(default) at 5%. I set my Max processor state to 99% . At 100% my clock speed is 2196MHz. When I set it at 99% my clock speed drops to 1596MHz. I'm sure this is why it runs cooler at 99%. I really can' tell a difference in performance, but i don't game, Lets face it, my processor is old and really out of date, but it does what i need. The lowest clock speed it will go to is 1197MHz.

I also forced some compressed air into the heat sink, and cleaned the vents again. It seemed to help with the temps a bit.

I also downloaded another temp monitoring program called Core Temp. The reading i get from this program are 10*c cooler than the HWMonitor program. Not sure why that is.

MikeJ, Nov 9, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    My familiarity to this stuff is not so good unfortunately. But what was the MAX default originally ? I would try the max at 100% what is 1 more percent will run cooler. Minimum maybe at half that. Mattering to the Basic Power Plan set to i believe how it works. Yes, different programs may give you slight differences, HWMonitor is a good one as CoreTemps is to. I have one that shows more specs, but not free called AIDA64.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with Advanced Power Settings - Similar Threads - Problem Advanced Power

2. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  3. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  4. Multimedia Settings is not listed in advanced power options

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multimedia Settings is not listed in advanced power options: [ATTACH] Windows won't turn my display off or go to sleep anymore (since 2 weeks or so). I did not change anything and I don't know since when my advanced power option settings don't have the Multimedia stuff anymore... I tried to get them back by doing this...
  5. Advanced power settings help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced power settings help: Hello a few months ago i downlaoded AVG battery saver lnto my laptop and i deleted it awhile sgo snd now its still being used on my laptop even though the app isnt on my laptop. everytime i turn my laptop on the battery lowers and i looked on my advanced power settings and...
  6. Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?: My wife's Dell computer has a lot more options in the Advance Power settings. Including "USB Settings". Why would my HP Envy 32 not have those options? I have USB devices plugged in. Like my mouse, a hard drive, an m-disc drive....
  7. Missing most settings in the "Advanced power options"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing most settings in the "Advanced power options": I have a new dell vostro 7500 with win 10 2004. When I got to advanced power options under any of the power plans, I don't see many of the options I normally see. here is all i see https://ibb.co/kxgZLrT I tried the instructions on the following page, but my regedit does...
  8. advanced power settings

advanced power settings: Hi all, Its very frustrating that I am not getting all the options in x1 yoga 3rd gen computer. i have tried powercfg -attributes 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a -attrib_hide for showing the wireless option but no luck ! tried...
  9. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...
  10. Can not change Advanced Power Settings

Can not change Advanced Power Settings: I have switch to the high performance power plan but I want to change a few of the advanced power settings but when I click on it nothing happens no menu, nothing!...