Windows 10: Problem with reinstalling default apps

Discus and support Problem with reinstalling default apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am having a problem with reinstalling the default apps of Windows 10. When I have uninstalled an app, and then try to reinstall the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WinThomas, Dec 14, 2015.

1. WinThomas Win User

Problem with reinstalling default apps

I am having a problem with reinstalling the default apps of Windows 10.

When I have uninstalled an app, and then try to reinstall the default package through:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I get a lot of error messages in red text, and all my default apps from that point on have names that start with @{ and a version number. None of them work any more. The error messages relate to versions, if I remember correctly. Something about my versions being newer than the ones in the package. The only way to fix my problems is with system restore so far.

I did this once before, under the first Win 10 build, and it worked fine. I think this stopped working for me since the 1511 build.

The reason I am doing all of this, is because I am having regular problems with the default apps not working. Right now, for instance, my Photos app won't open. But I have had a lot more strange behaviour with my Win 10 upgrade. Unresponsive apps, or unresponsive start menu/taskbar items.

I want to be able to repair things myself, before I have to resort to completely reinstalling Windows 10 again, which I think will ultimately be unavoidable, seeing as how much problems I am having with Win 10.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong with my default apps installation?

Also, what would happen if I took control of the WindowsApps folder, and manually delete stuff there(if that's even possible)?

:)

WinThomas, Dec 14, 2015

2. Problem with reinstalling default Windows 10 apps.

Hi,

Thank you for the update and we apologies for such inconvenience due to Microsoft.

I would recommend performing repair of Windows 10 and check if the issue persists.

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 ISO (using another computer)

Refer to the article below and download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool.

Download Windows 10

Step 2: Make a USB flash drive bootable

Refer to the article to download Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to transfer ISO to USB flash drive to make it bootable device.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Important: Ensure there is no data in USB flash drive before making it bootable device. If you have any data, back it up accordingly.

Step 3: Refer to the sectionUse installation media to troubleshoot or re-install Windows
    from the article below.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

Niranjan Manjhi, Dec 14, 2015
  3. TThijme Win User
    Problem with reinstalling default Windows 10 apps.

Not helpful.

You did not read my post, or don't understand it.

TThijme, Dec 14, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcom to tenforums. I'll just comment on system restore, as much had been written about the problems of unresponsive taskbars and problems with universal apps- fortunately not a problem I've had, but one you can research until someone can offer you a specific reply on that.

Build 1511 is implemented after the manner of a new Windows installation, as you'll have noticed. Thus all system restore points prior to it will be lost, inevitably. Further, system restore (for whatever reason) is usually found to be disabled after that update.

Because the build is so implemented, you can even revert to your previous build via Settings, Update.. within 30 days (I presume).

It might help if you can post a copy of your error message, and confirm the results of running
    sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, just to establish confidence in your current situation.

dalchina, Dec 15, 2015
  5. paulsalter, Dec 15, 2015
  6. ZAS
    Zas Win User
    I have the same problem

Problem with reinstalling default apps [​IMG]

7. dalchina New Member
    The link paulsalter quotes above appears to offer a solution. Windows 10 is fragile- changing some settings has untoward effects which can be tricky to resolve.

dalchina, Jan 1, 2016
  8. Almighty1 Win User

The other way to fix this is if you have a image of the drive or in my case, my 7200rpm 2.5" 750GB Western Digital HDD that I upgraded to 10586 was still available that I cloned to the new 2TB Samsung 850Pro SSD so all I did was copy the folders from the Western Digital HDD by mounting via USB for Windows Store after doing a system restore to the point right before it was broken with the Powershell commands which was only 30 minutes before.

Almighty1, Jan 2, 2016
  9. ZAS
    Zas Win User
    Thank you very much, I'm not sure if I know exactly how to do that but I will check into it .

10. Almighty1 Win User
    Basically, if you had a recent copy of the drive in either image form or a actual drive, you would know since it's like backup... System Restore would be one way to fix it if you know the app worked on a certain day and time.

Almighty1, Jan 2, 2016
  11. ZAS
    Zas Win User
    Thank you so much! I did this and it fixed the problem - there were two of those @{... left but I was able to uninstall them after the process finished. I was worried that I'd lose all my programs and settings but everything was exactly the same, just without the problem apps.

12. dalchina New Member
    Just a question for future reference.. so this demonstrates System Restore does not encompass the universal apps themselves, doesn't it, as you mention both doing system restore and copying the apps folder (presumably)?

(I encountered this problem myself when running the powershell command to reregister all - I really only needed to deal with a problem with Cortana and Location- dealt with it by restoring my very recent disk image and then finding and using a command specific to Cortana).

dalchina, Jan 2, 2016
  13. Almighty1 Win User

System Restore does not touch all directories it seems so if something was deleted, system restore will not get it back depending on the directory in question. It will restore things in your profile under C:\Users in which my case, I have all my own files and downloads in the download folder and the desktop folder which is what System Restore covers and the registry. In addition, make sure to check C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Packages as that is what determines if a app is installed or not which was restored with System Restore. It was only the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder which isn't handled by System Restore from what I remembered as my Windows Store was not broken initially, the newer version just didn't download and automatically installed like the one in 10240 did. So I tried the Powershell command and it basically killed Windows Store which was why I had to do what I did a few weeks ago and for whatever reason, after fixing it, it does auto download and install.

Almighty1, Jan 2, 2016
  14. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with reinstalling default apps - Similar Threads - Problem reinstalling default

2. There are no Microsoft's default apps after reinstallation of windows

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    There are no Microsoft's default apps after reinstallation of windows: I reset my PC yesterday and now there are no Microsoft's default apps like Microsoft Store, Calculator, Weather etc. Only the Apps I installed are there like brave, notepad ++ etc.Is there a way to get all of those apps in my computer? Atleast MS Store so I can install the...
  3. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  4. default apps problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default apps problem: After latest upgrade I can not change any default application. Could you help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-problem/b2adf23d-9b82-47d2-91f6-8ab67c816dfb
  5. Problem with default apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with default apps: When I change settings of my default apps to preferred one and then restart the system, the preferred disappear and they come to the default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-default-apps/ec2e27b3-3480-4e8a-bcdf-02bd28ecc4a3
  6. Reinstall default apps from image file

Reinstall default apps from image file: Hi, I've messed a lot with the pre-installed apps, but now decided to reinstall them. I've deleted everything under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. Then I copied the same directory from Windows ISO and pasted there. Also I set the folder to default permissions. Then I...
  7. Default Apps Problem

Default Apps Problem: I go into settings and change my default app for photo viewing and Windows keeps changing it back to the windows photo app. I prefer my software for photos. What can I do? Thanks 35371
  8. Problem with Default apps

Problem with Default apps: Hello again everyone, This is something else I found happening to my PC since the installation of the windows 10 pro (service pack) update. I change all the default apps to apps I prefer to use by selecting them as you would in the defaults app area. I have been using these...
  9. Problem reinstalling uwp apps

Problem reinstalling uwp apps: Hello everyone, hope you can help me. I recently installed an SSD in my laptop. Before that, I had some Microsoft Store (non-default) apps installed in my HDD (on a secondary partition named DATA). After I cloned the OS from the HDD to the SSD and booted Windows from it I...
  10. Setting Default App Problem

Setting Default App Problem: I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses to change. How can I PERMANENTLY set my...