Windows 10: Problems with changing install location on windows store

Discus and support Problems with changing install location on windows store in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; first, tell me if this belongs in another thread or if it's been answered before but windows 10 does not seem to agree with me changing my install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crunchyjoe, May 23, 2017.

1. Problems with changing install location on windows store

first, tell me if this belongs in another thread or if it's been answered before but windows 10 does not seem to agree with me changing my install location for windows store apps as as soon as I change the location the apps hang on "starting download..." and continously retry until I force end the program or change the default location back to my C: drive. of course I am using an SSD so I don't want to install something like the new phantom dust remake on my C: drive, I'll refrain from voicing my anger at how little windows lets me choose what to do with my own damn apps. I imagine the problem is with permissions on my other drive or registry or something, but obviously it's windows store specific, I cannot find jack about this specific issue on google.

:)

crunchyjoe, May 23, 2017

2. Can't choose app/game storage

I have the same problem as the OP, and I have to say that this is not at all acceptable.

If the user has a small SSD (mine is only 60 GB) there is no point at all to force the user to install Windows Store apps to that drive, especially if the user also has a second, much larger internal hard drive (a 2TB hard drive with a 1TB NTFS partition
    used for my user files (downloads, documents, music, etc.), games and apps).

When installing non-Microsoft Store games and apps (e.g. Microsoft Office), we've had the option to choose install location (even on other internal hard drives) for years, so there is no reason not to allow the user to choose the default install location.
    After all, this is 2015, not the 1980s or 90s (I know it might be a bit rude, but it is true).

May I ask why it might be such a bad idea to change the default install location?

andersbo87, May 23, 2017
  3. dotexe54 Win User
    Windows 10 ver.1511 not letting me change app install location?

Hi,

I am installing apps from Windows Store also the default install location is set to c: this is ok if you have a large drive but i only have a 120GB ssd just for windows, also you can change or should i say should be able to change the install location for
    apps from Windows Store i have done it on my laptop, and i should be able to on my system.

So why can't i apply D: E: or G: drives in storage, save locations, new apps will save to?

I am stuck with default C: not great in my book i have not had so many problems with an OS apart from Windows ME.

dotexe54, May 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Problems with changing install location on windows store

Hi, do you mean these procedures?
    Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials
    Note the limitation:
    Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

And forgive the obvious- if you use traditional 'desktop' programs (not universal apps) you can usually specify where they are installed, although they may well create folders on the system partition as well.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  5. no the procedure i was using was the simple one located in storage settings where you can change install location for apps before installing the program, in this case phantom dust. I am not moving it after already installing it, it doesn't exist in my apps yet, but I don't really have the space on C: to install then move, but if that's the only way to get it to work I will try that. in case you don't understand what I am trying to do is from the start have it downloaded to my other drive

crunchyjoe, May 23, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    That sounds like the first link.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problems with changing install location on windows store

1. Problems with changing install location on windows store - Similar Threads - Problems changing install

2. How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store: I wish to change the default install location for apps/games to a specfic folder on my C: drive because of how I set up my partitions. I have a second internal ssd, and it is mounted onto C:\Games. when going to settings to try and change it, it just says the C: drive, and...
  3. How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store: I wish to change the default install location for apps/games to a specfic folder on my C: drive because of how I set up my partitions. I have a second internal ssd, and it is mounted onto C:\Games. when going to settings to try and change it, it just says the C: drive, and...
  4. Windows store drive install location problem

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows store drive install location problem: Trying to install a game from Microsoft store and it keeps failing saying not enough space on c drive but when I go to change it to d drive it doesn’t show up along with my other drive f drive both are recognized and show up in settings it seems to be a problem with the store...
  5. cant change windows store install location

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    cant change windows store install location: I am unable to install games from windows store on my other drive. even though i have changed the default drive for apps to install on they still install on my C drive instead of my A drive and when i click install i am not given the option to choose which drive it installs...
  6. Simplenote Install Location Changed

Simplenote Install Location Changed: I've had the note app "Simplenote" installed on my Windows 10 laptop, my Apple iMac and iPhone for ages. It does everything I need with no extras. A couple of days ago I was told by the app that there was an update (I had v 2.5.0 installed, 2.6.0 was available), so I let it...
  7. Change Default Installation Location?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Location?: Hello! I was wondering if there was a way to change my default "C:" drive location to my storage "E:" drive location. I have some programs that I am trying to install and they are automatically installing themselves into the "C:" drive. So I was hoping there was a way to...
  8. Windows store Cant change default location

Windows store Cant change default location: Im trying to download games from the Windows Store/Xbox App but cant install them onto my games hard drive because its not listed in the drop down menu or any other menu choices in the storage settings. The drive works and is listed in "This PC" and in Disk Management. I have...
  9. Windows store Cant change default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows store Cant change default location: Im trying to download games from the Windows Store/Xbox App but cant install them onto my games hard drive because its not listed in the drop down menu or any other menu choices in the storage settings. The drive works and is listed in "This PC" and in Disk Management. I have...
  10. Windows Store Games Install Location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Store Games Install Location?: I have recently installed 2 games (Gears of War 4) and (Forza Horizon 3) from the windows store. I chose to install them on a separate SSD opposed to the default location (C\) drive. Now I know which SSD in which they were installed but after searching all folders on said...