Windows 10: Problems with ethernet cable and wi-fi down speeds.

Discus and support Problems with ethernet cable and wi-fi down speeds. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, recently I got myself a used pc. When I plugged in the ethernet cable the pc didnt even react, so the only other option was to use wi-fi. At first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomasR, Dec 24, 2019.

1. TomasR Win User

Problems with ethernet cable and wi-fi down speeds.

Hi, recently I got myself a used pc. When I plugged in the ethernet cable the pc didnt even react, so the only other option was to use wi-fi. At first the internet speed was tolerable (down speed around 3,5mbps) but later when I was downloading a file on Utorrent the down speed dropped to 4KBPS, can anyone help me with both or at least one of the issues?

:)

TomasR, Dec 24, 2019

2. Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi

My computer is connected by an Ethernet cable and when I run Speedtest I get around 50 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. That is way lower than what I am paying for. I thought the problem would be with my Internet service provider but Speedtest run on my tablet that uses wi-fi gets much better results. I checked the Speedtest that is built into my Netgear router and it also shows much better results. So the problem seems to be going from my router to my Windows 10 Pro computer by Ethernet cable. I used to get very high Speedtest results and I don't know what is causing this problem.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Ak

alkaufmann, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at getting a Cab 6 cable from the router to my computer but I really don't think that will make much of a difference. I just tried an Asus wi-fi adapter and I get a 1300 Mbps connect but Speedtest produces the same low results.

I used to get much higher results so I am starting to think the problem may be with Windows 10 PRO.

I just did a clean install a few days ago so I will take a look at the driver settings and maybe I will spot something there.

Ak

alkaufmann, Dec 24, 2019
  4. stormy13 Win User

How to Use Ethernet on My Wi-Fi Laptop

Simplest solution is to just disable the WiFi while using the Ethernet cable.

Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

stormy13, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Problems with ethernet cable and wi-fi down speeds. - Similar Threads - Problems ethernet cable

2. Wi-Fi Extender via Ethernet cable not working and stopping computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Extender via Ethernet cable not working and stopping computer: I am hoping that you can help me as I have tried all avenues and Google searches. Maybe you might be able to spare some time possibly to look at my home computer and see what is possibly wrong. I have a Wi-Fi extender TP-LINK WPA4220 AV 600 and up until recently it worked but...
  3. Wi-Fi Extender via Ethernet cable not working and stopping computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi Extender via Ethernet cable not working and stopping computer: I am hoping that you can help me as I have tried all avenues and Google searches. Maybe you might be able to spare some time possibly to look at my home computer and see what is possibly wrong. I have a Wi-Fi extender TP-LINK WPA4220 AV 600 and up until recently it worked but...
  4. Wi-Fi Extender via Ethernet cable not working and stopping computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  6. No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection

No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection: Hello, since around 2PM today May, 2nd I have been unable to connect to my home wi-fi or directly use the ethernet cable it has in order to access the internet on my laptop using my work laptop to write this. My laptop is an ASUS TUF gaming fx705DU with Windows 10 Pro, if...
  7. Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi

Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi: My computer is connected by an Ethernet cable and when I run Speedtest I get around 50 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. That is way lower than what I am paying for. I thought the problem would be with my Internet service provider but Speedtest run on my tablet that uses wi-fi gets...
  8. Wi-Fi Speed

Wi-Fi Speed: I'm new to win 10, how can I get the interface WiFi to tell me the speed of it? Thanks, Alex https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-speed/4cf93055-5685-4352-8878-58fae7af66b6
  9. Slow Wi Fi speed

Slow Wi Fi speed: I have Windows 10 on my DELL Inspiron 2020 PC. When connected to the router using the LAN cable I get very good download speed. However when I connect using Wi Fi the speed is very slow. My drivers are updated. What should I do ?...
  10. Problem with driver for Ethernet and Wi-Fi Adapter

Problem with driver for Ethernet and Wi-Fi Adapter: I have been using windows 10 for past few months. Internet was working fine with both Ethernet and Wi-Fi till yesterday. Today when I turned on Laptop , both of them stopped working. Problems found by Troubleshooter : * there might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi...