Windows 10: Process for selling a computer with Win10

Discus and support Process for selling a computer with Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been digging through lots of tutorials and forums trying to figure out the best path for preparing an older computer for sale, while leaving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dmw13, Mar 10, 2018.

1. dmw13 Win User

Process for selling a computer with Win10

I've been digging through lots of tutorials and forums trying to figure out the best path for preparing an older computer for sale, while leaving Windows 10 available to the buyer. I have an older HP Slimline that shipped with Windows 7. I upgraded successfully to Windows 10, which is activated. This is currently outfitted with a 1TB drive, which I plan to replace with the original 250GB drive.

This appears to be the process:

1. Deactivate Windows 10.
    2. Swap hard drives.
    3. Zero out the drive (it's been lightly used in an external case, so I'm assuming it should be wiped out just in case)
    4. Install Windows 10???

#4 is where I'm uncertain how to continue. I believe a fresh install would be best, but how can I activate Win10 to pass onto the new buyer? I plan to include an install DVD with the sale, but what is the best way to pass on the Win10 key to the new owner?

To clarify, this is an older Slimline s5610f with an Athlon processor, and I do not believe it has a UEFI setting to store the key. Thanks

:)

dmw13, Mar 10, 2018

2. selling a windows 10 computer

Alright i only have one more question. If i were to remove my device from the account, would windows 10 work on that said removed device?

teh person, Mar 10, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    selling a windows 10 computer

The Windows digital licence is tied to that device and only associated with your Microsoft Account

To remove the device from your Microsoft Account, click this link, sign in, select that device and click 'Remove'

https://account.microsoft.com/

I would also create a new user account on that device, log into it and remove your old account.

Best option is to Reset Windows 10 on the device:

Press Shift and click Restart

When the device boots into the Windows Recovery Environment

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC

Choose to keep nothing and start the Reset

DaveM121, Mar 10, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

You will not be able to deactivate Windows 10. The activation (based on hardware ID) is held on Microsoft Servers.

When you have cleaned and swapped your drives and reinstalled Windows 10 it will activate automatically when it is connected to internet.

Just make sure when installing Windows 10 you use the same version (Home or Pro) as you have now and if asked for a key click on "I don't have one".

You could turn off the PC after the first reboot on the fresh install (leaving the new owner to set up users etc) or alternatively set up an account called "Owner" (or something like that) so you can check the activation is OK and install any required drivers for them.

5. Bree New Member
    There is no key to pass on, the upgrade to 10 will have given windows 10 a generic key.

When you upgraded from Windows 7 the PC was given a digital license which is stored on Microsoft's activation servers, tied to the unique hardware ID of the PC.

This means that you can replace the HDD (which doesn't form part of the hardware ID), do a clean install and, when asked for a key click 'I don't have one'. As soon as Windows can contact the activation servers windows will automatically be activated by the digital license. The license is only valid for one edition, Home or Pro. You must install the same edition as you had before for it to activate.

NB: when you do the clean install, do NOT use a Microsoft account to create the first user during setup. Use a Local account. See step 23 in this tutorial.

Clean Install Windows 10

6. In the same tutorial Bree has posted, consider "if you would like to set up this PC to have an OOBE (Out-of-box Experience) so another user/owner can pick up at this point to finish setting up Windows on the PC with their own account and preferences the next time the PC it turned on," idea following step 16.

Clean Install Windows 10
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    I've done it only once and I'm glad I did.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 10, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    That's a good suggestion.

Here's an additional suggestion. Set the PC into 'Retail Demo Experience Mode' after completing the clean install. This is how PCs are running when you see them in the shops, you'll be able to let the prospective new owner play with it before deciding if they want it. Turn off demo mode to put the PC back to the OOBE.

Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

8. dmw13 Win User

Thanks, everyone. This was just what I needed. Managed to get the system ready this evening and hope to get it listed tomorrow. And I'll be using this twice, as I have another computer I'm considering selling as well. Don't know why anyone makes a motherboard without wake on lan these days, but a used computer I picked up is just such a beast. On the plus side, what I paid for it used is about half what it's worth. Hope to trade over to something usable as a server for that one.

You all are life savers.

dmw13, Mar 11, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Well, if you're listing it online then plain OOBE is appropriate - they wouldn't know how to get out of 'Demo Mode', that's more appropriate for face-to-face sales.

10. dmw13 Win User
    I installed Win10 Home with a generic username and password (actually used 'password') and will send an install disk with the computer, plus I plan to email instructions to the buyer with both the username/password and a link to how to reset the PC. No perfect way to sell a used PC nowadays.

It was interesting how Windows activated itself once connected to a network. Very cool.

dmw13, Mar 11, 2018
  11. "I plan to email instructions to the buyer with both the username/password and a link to how to reset the PC."
    Sounds good but a system image backup is a plus also.
    As far as I know a reset doesn't include applications that a user has.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Process for selling a computer with Win10 - Similar Threads - Process selling computer

2. Tips for selling Desktop computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tips for selling Desktop computer: Hi everyone,I am looking to sell my PC which I have had for 4 years. Just out of curiosity, if I hard reset deleting everything will I lose my games? I own about 20 games on steam and I have the option to download them to an external hard drive which while take a while....
  3. WIN10 Unknown Process ""

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN10 Unknown Process "": I recently ran a powercfg /sleepsystemdiagnostics report to determine what is keeping the display running when the system is idle. I can across this process in the report. I've never seen it before. Can anyone identify it?START TIME: 2022-08-31 T08:16:16DURATION: 0:17:11TYPE:...
  4. WIN10 Unknown Process ""

WIN10 Unknown Process "": I recently ran a powercfg /sleepsystemdiagnostics report to determine what is keeping the display running when the system is idle. I can across this process in the report. I've never seen it before. Can anyone identify it?START TIME: 2022-08-31 T08:16:16DURATION: 0:17:11TYPE:...
  5. Tips for selling computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tips for selling computer: How do i erase everything to make it like when you first buy your laptop you gotta like re put the wifi password, name ect. i just want to know where to do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tips-for-selling-computer/415d0a34-a528-4cbe-95c7-725dd8b86a8a
  6. Tips for selling computer

Tips for selling computer: How do i erase everything to make it like when you first buy your laptop you gotta like re put the wifi password, name ect. i just want to know where to do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tips-for-selling-computer/415d0a34-a528-4cbe-95c7-725dd8b86a8a
  7. Tips for selling computer

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Sick of Win10 Processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sick of Win10 Processes: I'm actually sick of Windows in general and I'm wondering if there is any stripped down, bare bones version of Windows that has internet capability, basic sound and video drivers but little else. I use approx 1/10,000 of Win10 features and always install my own video, photo...
  9. Selling my computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Selling my computer: Afer I sell my computer, does the person who buys it have to buy another copy of windows 10 or can they reregister the one that is on there in their name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selling-my-computer/3efe334a-747b-48cc-ad0e-e23c8d249e8f"
  10. Selling Win10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Selling Win10 laptop.: How do I deactivate Windows 10 so I can sell a laptop and have the new owner reactivate it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selling-win10-laptop/dde98ebb-e568-4373-90a1-3a0328e9e639"