Windows 10: Product key rejected

Discus and support Product key rejected in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have downloaded the 10 iso and tried to install it on my laptop running 8.1 Home Premium. The setup guide asks for the product key and does not give... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by canuck257, Oct 26, 2015.

1. canuck257 Win User

Product key rejected

I have downloaded the 10 iso and tried to install it on my laptop running 8.1 Home Premium. The setup guide asks for the product key and does not give me the option to skip. When I input the key (determined by pcadvisor) it rejects it saying that key did not work.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

canuck257, Oct 26, 2015
  2. zimzip Win User

unable to install windows 10 on a oem Windows 8.1 laptop

When trying to upgrade to Windows 10 on a Windows 8.1 oem laptop via an iso image I am asked for a product key. When the product key is entered it is rejected.

zimzip, Oct 26, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Product key is rejected when installing Windows 10 after replacing the hard drive

"And the PC has UEFI so I guess USB is out" -
    this is not true:

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS, go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

• Insert the Bootable Media
    • Disable Secure Boot
    • Enable Legacy Boot
    • If Available enable CSM
    • If Required enable USB Boot
    • Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order
    • Save BIOS changes and restart your System

You cannot skip the step to provide a product key when doing an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from inside Windows 7 - you need to boot your system from the installation media and perform a clean install of Windows 10 (this will allow you to skip the steps)

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Product key rejected

How exactly did you "download the ISO"? And what version of Windows 10 is it?

Mystere, Oct 26, 2015
  5. That won't work if you don't upgrade first.

MikeMecanic, Oct 26, 2015
  6. canuck257 Win User
    Downloaded from Microsoft.
    Win10_N_English_x64.iso

canuck257, Oct 26, 2015
  7. canuck257 Win User
    I'm trying to upgrade Windows 8.1 Home

canuck257, Oct 26, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Product key rejected

You downloaded the wrong version. You want Windows 10 Home without the N.

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2015
  9. MikeMecanic, Oct 26, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    There most certainly are N versions, both from Media Creation Tool and Microsoft Tech Bench:

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Product key rejected

1. Product key rejected - Similar Threads - Product key rejected

2. Product key keeps getting rejected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key keeps getting rejected: I clean installed windows 10 on a windows 7 computer I have, but the product key keeps getting rejected, it was never used on any other computer and it is from the sticker, the windows 7 is home premium and the windows 10 is home single language...
  3. Product key keeps getting rejected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product key keeps getting rejected: I clean installed windows 10 on a windows 7 computer I have, but the product key keeps getting rejected, it was never used on any other computer and it is from the sticker, the windows 7 is home premium and the windows 10 is home single language...
  4. Product key keeps getting rejected

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. BitLocker recovery key from Microsoft was rejected.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key from Microsoft was rejected.: Bitlocker locked me out after I changed the bad CMOS battery. Found the Bitlocker recovery key from Microsoft but rejected after keying in. Need the correct recovery key from Microsoft. Where to find it ?...
  6. Windows 10 rejecting my valid product key - cannot activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 rejecting my valid product key - cannot activate: From time to time I format my PC and install Windows from the DVD media using the valid product key I have owned for years. This time I upgraded my cpu, motherboard and ram, and formatted. I have already changed motherboard, CPU and ram at least once since I acquired this...
  7. Product key

Product key: I bought this pc in Vietnam and it was prebuilt so all they did was bring the pc to me when they are done building it, now the window 10 keep asking to activate window but I don't know how to get my product key can you please help me out?...
  8. product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product key: Does the product key change when you upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 or is the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key/933697b4-a060-4315-aedc-0335406f38e6
  9. product key

product key: I cannot locate my product key; windows was purchased online many moons ago.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key/5d044289-bb1e-4f80-82f5-1e600cbedbd8"
  10. product key

product key: how do I find my original product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key/44f5a066-1fc6-4ce2-a8b8-de9069c1d2c9"