Windows 10: Prompt to format USB disc

Discus and support Prompt to format USB disc in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 Pro with all the updates up to November 15, prompts to format my WD Passport Ultra 1TB which is full of valuable data. In Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ApostolosMoussamas, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Prompt to format USB disc

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro with all the updates up to November 15, prompts to format my WD Passport Ultra 1TB which is full of valuable data.

In Disk Management the USB drive was NTFS and now is RAW

I’ve always ejected it properly!

I’ve tried the following

1. changed drive letter

2. changed the cable

3. tried it on another PC

4. Checked for new drivers in Devices and Printers. All is latest.

5. Checked for new drivers in WD SES Device, in Device Manager

6. tried it on my Linux NAS. The message I get “Disk It is not initialized”. This was not true before in my NAS.

7. I’ve tried WD Drive Utilities and passed all tests

8. I’ve uninstalled several Universal Bus Controllers, in Device Manager

9. Followed other urban myths…

NOTHING WORKED

All those actions above were made, one step at a time.

I still cannot access my valuable data.

NOTE: Same thing happened few days back with a USB stick and I did format it, but still prompts to format… but I don’t care for that flash drive. I CARE FOR MY 1TB USB DRIVE

:)

ApostolosMoussamas, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 17, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Prompt to format USB disc

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Prompt to format USB disc

1. Prompt to format USB disc - Similar Threads - Prompt format USB

2. USB disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB disc: how do i fix USB disc they all keep saying read-only? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-disc/f7b7d3ce-cc45-42bc-bd0c-a7730eb47b28
  3. Formatting a hard disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting a hard disc: How to format a Widows XP hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-disc/ac8f0d00-337d-45ba-9b1a-6ea0796dbaca
  4. Formatting a hard disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting a hard disc: How to format a Widows XP hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-disc/ac8f0d00-337d-45ba-9b1a-6ea0796dbaca
  5. .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc: I have a compressed .gz file that is 10,448,012 KB in size that I'm attempting to copy to a USB drive. The software supplier specified that the drive must be formatted as exFAT and have a minimum of 16 KB of storage space. I bought a 3.0 Scandisk drive with 32 KB of storage...
  6. format a disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    format a disc: how do I format a new disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-disc/4bc7963c-fc46-4040-a77e-39629ba8b621
  7. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick: Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter? Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you...
  8. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick: Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter? Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you...
  9. external hard disc showing for format disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard disc showing for format disc: while I connect my external hard disc with data shows for format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disc-showing-for-format-disc/a36ede3b-89f8-49e3-9511-7347823b0688"
  10. Disc formatting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disc formatting.: Alright, I am of the opinion that some days ago, my windows broke down or crashed in some way, i tried troubleshooting ("not able to work") tried safe booting(still doesn't work) and much more,I have basically searched at every corner but I always end up at a dead end.So I...