Windows 10: Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender

Discus and support Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; hi, everyone. i have recently bought a new laptop core i3 based and 4gb ram used on my laptop. I have got pre-installed windows 10 os. i am new using... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mohammad Hafijur, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender

hi, everyone. i have recently bought a new laptop core i3 based and 4gb ram used on my laptop. I have got pre-installed windows 10 os. i am new using laptop and windows 10 os . tell me about the protection from all kinds of virus, malware,ransmware

:)

Mohammad Hafijur, Feb 14, 2020

2. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Windows defender real time protection cant be turned on.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

You tried all suggestions in my previous post and Windows Defender “real time protection”
    still will not turn on?

Did you try everything suggested in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware and running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG,
    McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Le Boule, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Le Boule Win User

Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender

real time protection in window defender

The behavior you are describing may occur if there are remnants of a third party antivirus program installed.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Have you tried running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a restart of the computer? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in this thread: Windows Defender

If the issue continues recommend you follow the steps suggested in
    Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender

1. Protecting my new laptop pc using windows defender - Similar Threads - Protecting laptop using

2. Windows Defender protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender protection: Hi,I'm using bitdefender as my antivirus, but I seen that also Windows Defender has some ransomware protection. However as I have bitdefender this setting doesn't show up. Can I use ransomware protection if I have another antivirus?Is it worth to enable this protection?Thank...
  3. Windows Defender protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender protection: Hi,I'm using bitdefender as my antivirus, but I seen that also Windows Defender has some ransomware protection. However as I have bitdefender this setting doesn't show up. Can I use ransomware protection if I have another antivirus?Is it worth to enable this protection?Thank...
  4. My protection history on Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My protection history on Windows Defender: So there is an potentially unwanted app, and whenever I go to my protection history, it's all gone which is abnormal. And I want to know how to find and remove this virus and fix my protection history to find it....
  5. Defender protecting?

Defender protecting?: I installed the Defender Preview on my Windows 10 machine. I have it installed on a Galaxy S10 phone. Family devices were added to Defender. There are currently 4 devices whose status is shown. 3 of them say protected, but this Windows 10 machine Defender status is said to be...
  6. Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?

Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?: Dear: AllIs Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?Kind Regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-good-enough-to-protect-my-pc/7d0a6a2d-9c77-485d-a5c9-015245f99722
  7. Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection): Hey! First, I apologize for any orthographic or grammatical mistake, as my first language is spanish. For context, I had downloaded an antivirus recommended by CNET (I think), called Avira, but after a few weeks of use, I started to feel like my computer was slowing down, as...
  8. Windows defender protection

Windows defender protection: Hello everyone! Good day! I just want to ask this because my windows defender anti virus was lost and turned off. How can I fix this and bring back it like before...
  9. Windows defender protection

Windows defender protection: Hello I really need help because "Real-Time Protection" of my laptop is Disabled by a malicious software. Now I'm restricted to turn it ON. That software open new tabs in browser after every minute. Moreover when I try to shutdown my laptop the process stop because of that...
  10. Windows Defender protection

Windows Defender protection: My question is: does Windows Defender protect against Malware ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-protection/b3c713cf-b2de-4b65-8334-0e967dfe2413