Windows 10: PUPs

Discus and support PUPs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How do you set Windows 10 to block PUPs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pups/4a7c74c9-9590-4a41-a94a-f237d686d00a Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fedbil100, Apr 27, 2019.

1. fedbil100 Win User

PUPs

How do you set Windows 10 to block PUPs

:)

fedbil100, Apr 27, 2019

2. Overrun by PUP's

Hi, @Skofab:

A bit of clarification...
    As the others have pointed out, MBAM Free is only a manual, on-demand scanner that removes PUPs and malware already on the system.
    MBAM Premium -- when properly configured -- can help to PREVENT PUPs/malware infection in the first place.

PUPs are not malware, in the strict sense of the term, as explained HERE. But they are generally junk that one likely does not not need or want and they can eventually get one into trouble with real malware.

Having said that, scanning for ROOTKITS and scanning for PUPs/PUMs are actually different settings.
    In order to be sure MBAM is properly configured, open the dashboard > settings > detection and protection > non-malware protection and verify that both PUPs and PUMs are set to "treat detections as malware".

If your settings are correct, but the PUPs seem to come back with each scan, then the most likely explanations include:
    • MBAM is having trouble removing them for some reason; and/or
    • They are re-spawning, either from software/malware on the system, from Google sync or from another source.

If you would like, please follow the steps in THIS TUTORIAL to locate, export and post here as an ATTACHMENT to your next reply an MBAM SCAN LOG from one of the computers. That log may point to an explanation and possible solution.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Overrun by PUP's

Hi:

Just to be clear, the ROOTKIT scanning setting in MBAM is separate and different from the PUP/PUM settings.
    It's certainly fine to enable the anti-rootkit feature, but it's not likely to directly impact the behavior you reported in your original post (recurring PUPs in sequential MBAM scans).
    Adding MBAE (Free or Premium) is another fine suggestion, but it won't fix your original issue, either.

To more directly fix that particular problem, it would help to know if your PUP/PUM settings in MBAM are correctly configured, as suggested in my earlier reply #4 here.PUPs :)
    And, yes, the partial AdwCleaner log suggests that the PUPs are likely re-spawning from Google sync/Chrome/a Chrome extension.
    But it would also help to see the MBAM scan log, as previously suggested.PUPs :)

>>Some PUPs (and some malware) can be rather pesky, requiring the use of multiple, powerful tools, in the correct sequence, as well as other interventions (e.g. resetting/reinstalling Chrome), for complete removal.

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 27, 2019
  4. simrick Win User

PUPs

Overrun by PUP's

Just to reiterate:
    Since the OP indicates that the PUP/PUM selections are being flagged in the MBAM scan, I assumed those were already set to "treat as malware". The problem is that they keep coming back, hence the need for the Rootkit option in MBAM, and the ADWCleaner log. Mindspark is notorious for respawns. The log clearly indicates problems with the Chrome browser extensions.

Now that ADWCleaner has been run, my recommendation would be to completely reset Chrome, Edge, and all other existing browsers on the system, removing all extensions, and then be very careful which ones you reintroduce to the browser(s).

You may also want to install Unchecky.

OldMike suggests a very good program here, which I use on all my systems, and those I work on as well.

Good luck! PUPs :)

simrick, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

PUPs

1. PUPs - Similar Threads - PUPs

2. how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?: hope this finds and helps you. i've research and research, found many answers, non that could help me. but in beetwen the lines i manage to do something that helps remove pua or pup threat and defender can't find it anymore. so this being said let's go to workfirst: go to C:...
  3. how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?: hope this finds and helps you. i've research and research, found many answers, non that could help me. but in beetwen the lines i manage to do something that helps remove pua or pup threat and defender can't find it anymore. so this being said let's go to workfirst: go to C:...
  4. YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search something up, right before results come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  5. YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search something up, right before results come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  6. PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search somethin up, right before result come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  7. PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search somethin up, right before result come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  8. Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav: https://youtu.be/PcS3EozgyhI?t=467 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-should-detected-pup-fake/9b17d021-f60d-4414-9c0b-3867e7bc56d9
  9. Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav

Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav: https://youtu.be/PcS3EozgyhI?t=467 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-should-detected-pup-fake/9b17d021-f60d-4414-9c0b-3867e7bc56d9
  10. HOW TO ***AL,LOW*** "PUP" THAT YOU HAVE BLOCKED !!!

HOW TO ***AL,LOW*** "PUP" THAT YOU HAVE BLOCKED !!!: HOW DO YOU "ALLOW" A PUP? WINDOWS GARBAGE DUMP IS BLOCKING THE APP WHEN I WANT IT TO RUN AS OFTEN AS I WANT AND THERE IS NO WAY TO ALLOW IT. ONLY BLOCK OR QUARANTINE IT. ****.FURTHERMORE, I DO NOT WANT TO "SIGN IN" EVERY TIME I HAVE A QUESTION WHEN I AM ALREADY SIGNED IN AND...